RE0 or Shure SE215
May 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

h8uthemost

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: I posted this on the wrong board, can a mod please move this to the IEM board? Thanks.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two. What do you guys think? I think both IEM's are pretty highly regarded.

I'll be using them to listen with jazz, on a Cowon D2+ unamped(although I will be getting a portable amp for my next purchase, probably in about two or three weeks).

I was leaning towards the RE0's because for one, they're cheaper. And two, they don't have to be worn with the wire over the ear like the SE215's do. I've never had a pair of IEM's that had to be worn like that, and I"m not sure if I would like it. But then again, Shure is a proven company, the IEM's will come with a 2 year warranty, and the cable is detachable. All great selling points.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Wow, I just saw the RE0's has an impedance of 64 and a sensitivity of 100dB. Are these pretty hard to drive? The SE215 has an impedance of 20 and a sensitivity of 107dB. Maybe these would be better for portable use.

And yeah, I did say I'll be getting an amp(think on either the iBasso T3 or waiting for the E11), but I don't want to be listening to some IEM's that are under powered for the few weeks until I get an amp. How do people like the RE0's on their unamped portable player?

May 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 9
The Se215 will have more bass and will be smoother while he RE0 will have more treble and detail. I believe the SE215 will also have a bigger soundstage and will be warmer sounding.

The RE0 will definitely be harder to drive but may not suffer much in detail loss and just need to cranked up mote when using them. The SE215 can definitely be power adequately from most DAP's but does scale nicely with a portable amp, getting more bass impact and cleaner highs and detail so will be good today and better tomorrow for you.

I have not owned the RE0 though so basing my comments on what I have read for that IEM.

May 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 9
I've got the RE0 and I listen to jazz almost exclusively (real jazz, no kenny g). I'd say go w/ the Shures. I think the RE0 has too much treble, is too cold, and lacks bass. With jazz recordings you want to hear the whole band top to bottom and all too often with the RE0 the contrabass is buried by the cymbals and high hats.

I don't own the Shures but hope to soon!

May 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 9
You can opt for RE-ZERO or Xcape v1 for a less cold sounding RE0. RE-ZERO is quite easy to drive.

I can't speak for SE215, but the Shure products I've tried/owned (e2c, e4c, SE535) are overpriced in terms of sound unless they're being sold at discount. This is compared to the newer IEMs that are currently offered by upstarts like MEElectronics, Hifiman and some others.

May 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a lot for all the info guys.

thwood3(great avatar by the way), that's kind of the opinion I was wanting to read. From someone that listens to jazz almost exclusively as well. And if you think your RE0's don't fit well with jazz, then I'll try out the Shure's like most others in this thread also think.

I appreciate all the comments so far in the thread though. It probably won't be for another week or two before I make a decision and purchase them(which I was also looking at the RE-Zero's, glac1er), so I'll continue to read up on both. But this thread has given me a good idea so far.

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 9
So what did you do?

My RE0s broke and they are out of warranty. I always liked them and Headdirect offered me a replacement pair for 40$ + 10$ shipping + shipping (I have to send my old stuff to them). So that will be 55-60$ roughly. A pretty good deal, but the new Shure SE215 got me thinking I need them. :) All help is appreciated.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 9
I ended up going with the Shure's. I talked to a couple people, and they agreed that the RE0's just weren't that great of IEM's for jazz. My most listened to genre of music, and assured me the SE215's would be the better fit.

My first impressions of the SE215's were negative. First off, I didn't like the sound quality. I thought the clarity was a little muffled. And I didn't like the over-the-ear design. But...after burning them I started to fall in love with them. The sound and clarity really started to open up(at least to my ears), and I have no gotten used to the over-the-ear design. I still prefer the regular design of IEM's, but at least now I can put these on just as easy as regular IEM's.

So all in all I'm very happy with them. They give great isolation, and they're extremely comfortable. Not to mention the build quality is absolutely fantastic. These are the best built IEM's that I've owned so far. The plastic housing of the drivers are extremely durable, and the cord is thick and is also extremely durable.

I haven't listened to the RE0's, so I can't comment on them. But I'm confident if you chose the Shure's you would be happy with them. That is if you like the over-the-ear design. I've never had an IEM with this design before. So that's why I hated it when I first got them, and why it took me so long to get used to them. So that's something to think about if you prefer the regular design of the RE0's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back