RE0: experiment done, dead and buried
Dec 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

monoblocks

Head-Fier
Try as I might, I just couldn't get a halfway satisfactory sound out of these. The largest of the flange tips worked the best for me, but even these seem lacking in providing audio that I can live with. I think my ears have been forever spoiled by my IE8. The biggest problem I have with the RE0 is the conspicuous lack of depth to the soundstage; there's very little resonance and richness to the music I listen to (mostly vocals and acoustic instruments). After 35+ hours (split time running continuously on my Zune HD and X1061 with the volume set @ 21/30 and 24/30, respectively) the change that's starting to happen in its sound isn't helping; it now seems more murkier and unfocused than warm and relaxed, and these IEMs simply don't sound great to me at low volume. I then realized I actually liked the sound better fresh out of the box, and for me that's never a good sign for things to come. So it's time to stop wasting the Li-ions in the PMPs, consign these to my dreaded Dead Drawer and filed this away as lesson learned ("use even MORE skepticism when reading rave rants on head-fi", and SERIOUSLY take to heart "YMMV").

I had hoped that the RE0 would be a relatively cheap, very good out-and-about casual IEM that I wouldn't mind nearly as much if I managed to lose or damage, or at the very least take some of the threat of destruction off my IE8. The first couple of hours I thought I might have something here, but at this point I guess I'm out looking again. Guess it means the IE8 gets put back out in the firing line...

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 21
Initially hated my re0 coming from se530 until I:

1. Put 100 hours on them
2. Added a cheap amp
3. Added shure olives.

The difference by adding those was night and day compare how they sounded at first.

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 21
I agree that the RE0 sound stage doesn't have depth; I find separation laterally.

RE0 vs IE8 is not a fair comparison. I have W3s and there is no comparison.

I find using the cross feed feature in RockBox helps by eliminating some of the detailed sound.

Listen to them for a while and let your brain adjust to their sound.

-Pony

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 21
simple, RE0 is just not your cup of tea. what is not your cup of tea doesnt mean it is bad.

I find out RE0 is what i really looked for these years and the only lacking is the mids. If only it could be as great as pl50 mids then it is a perfect iem to me. The isolation for the medium sized silicon fit me best where it totally eliminate all the noises. I used to use the smallest size on other iem but medium size for this pair works best. I guess the hole on my ear is just too small.

what i am trying to conclude is review or watever you seen on internet is just a guide for you to get a picture. being good or bad still blends down when u actually audition them. just like how i see the fischer audio eterna review which get highly praised but when i auditioned it, no doubt the bass in punchy and fun but it is just now my cup of tea. I just cant force myself to like it, but that doesnt mean eterna sucks. and i know that i do like highs and details and mids more than lows
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 21
try the foam mod for the RE0 and get shure olives. these changes really do make a noticeable difference. the foam mod makes the mids much more forward and increases soundstage. the shure olives increased the bass response.

if these still dont' work, i guess the re0 isnt a true "out and about" IEM in the sense that it needs an amp to shine its best. if you don't mind carrying a small amp while you're "out and about" you may get better results, but that's probably not what you're looking for in an "out and about" IEM. if you're really looking for the best SQ in a headphone out, you may have to look elsewhere. i haven't tried any of these myself, but i've heard decent things about the Cyclone PR1, Hippo VB, Hippo Shroom. I've tried the Meelec AI-M6 and while it was clear, the bass was a bit too heavy for my personal liking (i prefer the bass on the RE0), but seeing that you like the IE8s it may work for you.

also, how do the RE0s sound with your current amps? you have a seem to have a formidable lineup of amps in your signature.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 21
You need significant amp power with the RE0, apparently serious power to get something more dynamic and effortless. They just aren't dynamic like the IE8 nor have nearly the level of bass of the IE8. The sound stage is also significantly different. It really is an apples to oranges comparison.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 21
The IE8 is like the "anti-RE0"; all it's strengths are the other phone's weaknesses, and all it's weaknesses, the other's strengths.

While the IE8s are the most musical phones I've had--nothing is as rich straight out of the box--they're no more than competent handling fast treble and air.

The RE0s, by contrast, sound ridiculously nasal without some good EQ and an amp, and do very little below the midbass, but they can handle bright passages confidently but without becoming shrill.

Depends on what you're willing to do without, I guess.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 21
I have both the IE8 and the REO. While I prefer the IE8, the REO is no slouch. I did the Shure foam mod and I glued comply T400 stems into them. Much better bass response and very comfortable. With my HeadRoom micro amp, they really start to shine. Much improved soundstage and depth. Sorta similar to what I experienced with the PFE.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 21
I readily admit that comparing the RE0 and the IE8 isn't fair, but unfortunately for me I was already pwned by the IE8 before I tried the Head Direct set. That said, I had hoped that the RE0 would have a sound signature that was more reminiscent of the open Senn sound that I freely admit I favor but instead it comes off to me as being very much like a closed-back set of cans, although to be honest I don't even know it that's what they're supposed to be...or not.

I probably should continue to burn them in and see what will happen when it gets up to 80-100 hrs; I've got plenty of old MP3 devices to run them through that can do the job. As for using them with amps...I'd hoped to circumvent the need for an amp with this "cheap beater" set--whether RE0 or some other pair--this time around, since for me it's still something of a hassle to tote around an amp and interconnect on top of the PMP and cans.

Right now the only other set of IEMs I own in the RE0's price range is the Sony EX500LP; frankly I can't stand the unequal length leads that Sony uses in their designs, and the sound of the Sony is rather thin and harsh to my ears. But at least it has imaging and depth that's pretty good for the closed design that Sony says they are, and right now that ends up being more appealing to my sonic tastes than the RE0 is at this point.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 21
While testing IEMs recently starting at $50 up to $400 I noticed that the sound generally gets better and better up to about the $300 range. It's probably the classic 'you get what you pay for' scenario. The REO to me sounded good for the money, although I couldn't rate them on their own merits due to not enough time with them.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 21
another vouch for trying different tips... the part of the IEM which doesnt directly contact your ear is only half of the IEM... you could try to alter the soundstage by trying tips of different lengths, that has an effect on the sound... also foam tips give a totally different flavour to the sound than silicon tips, its as if they absorb sound rather than contribute to the acoustics

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While testing IEMs recently starting at $50 up to $400 I noticed that the sound generally gets better and better up to about the $300 range. It's probably the classic 'you get what you pay for' scenario. The REO to me sounded good for the money, although I couldn't rate them on their own merits due to not enough time with them.

At their price point, apples to apples wouldn't be RE0 v. IE8, but rather RE0 v. Sony EX500 or Senn CX400. SQ-wise, the RE0 stomps them both flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back