RE0, but with bigger bass?
May 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 32
I was recommended the RE1s because I wanted a little more Bass than the RE0s. Granted. I haven't used either...But my RE1s are on the way! Just made the order actually.

May 1, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorbidToaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was recommended the RE1s because I wanted a little more Bass than the RE0s. Granted. I haven't used either...But my RE1s are on the way! Just made the order actually.

RE1 has more sub bass, but nowhere near RE0 detail. They are nice phones and I do recommend them over RE0 if you are listening primarily to music with a lot of bass content (dance, trance, rap, etc) and/or you are a basshead. Otherwise, RE0 outclasses RE1 in almost every way. Oh and RE1 absolutely needs a good amp. RE0 doesn't really need one.

May 1, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE1 has more sub bass, but nowhere near RE0 detail. They are nice phones and I do recommend them over RE0 if you are listening primarily to music with a lot of bass content (dance, trance, rap, etc) and/or you are a basshead. Otherwise, RE0 outclasses RE1 in almost every way. Oh and RE1 absolutely needs a good amp. RE0 doesn't really need one.

I'll be amping them next paycheck. I they're going to be used for almost exclusively Electronic, so I guess it was a good recommendation.

May 1, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

I'll be amping them next paycheck. I they're going to be used for almost exclusively Electronic, so I guess it was a good recommendation.

Yes, they are great for the price. Amp them and you won't be disappointed.

May 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Yes, they are great for the price. Amp them and you won't be disappointed.

Just posted a thread in Porta-amp. But what would you suggest amp wise for the RE1s?

May 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #22 of 32
@kmhaynes: I love how you made it an open poll. We can clearly see that most of the people voting haven't even heard the IEM they vote for, never mind all three. I myself will abstain since I haven't heard the silver bullet. For what it's worth, the R03 to my ears sounds more like what you're looking for. The $50 price tag doesn't hurt, either. But don't expect RE0 sparkle or that incredible delicacy. I still haven't found anything south of $160 that comes close.

As a side note, if you found the S4 too hard on the bass, I doubt the HJE900 will please you. They are without a doubt more detailed and more extended up top than the ViSangs, but they hit hard down low and aren't as smooth up top. But since this is a popularity contest the most-owned IEM (or in this case the most talked-about) will easily win.

May 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

I believe it was a good recommendation. In case the RE1 turns out too dark and veiled sounding for your taste you can easily mod them to sound clearer and more refined. Once you boost the highs a bit it becomes obvious that it has in fact surprisingly good detail. Not so sure whether you need an amp. Some DAPs like the s-master Sonys or the AMP3 drive the RE1 effortlessly. Just try it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 32
Having not read the entire thread..is it possible to EQ them? Although it may not increase the impact much it should be able to increase the body.

Also I seriously doubt anyone has heard those three iem's along with the RE0.

May 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 32
Since mark2410 suggested an amp with a bass boost, it got me thinking about my source + amp + phone combinations that allows me to keep the RE0 and get a bit more clean bass to it.  The E5 has a bass boost, but it seems to muddy the Zune 30GB -> RE0 combination just a bit.  The Zune -> T3 -> RE0 combination is very clean.

So I am now talking with a head-fi'er who is interested in swapping his iBasso T4 with a bass boost for my T3 without.  That may be the best option without spending any $$.  Then the E5 can go back to the Fuze + M9, even tho the M9 certainly does NOT need any bass boost.

May 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 32
From everything I read the rockbox equalizer offers better bass, both in terms of quantity and quality, than the fiio e3/e5. Consider just getting an inexpensive player like the clip and rockboxing it, instead of spending the money on an amp.

May 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
From everything I read the rockbox equalizer offers better bass, both in terms of quantity and quality, than the fiio e3/e5. Consider just getting an inexpensive player like the clip and rockboxing it, instead of spending the money on an amp.

I do have a Fuze, but not sure if it is the version that can be rockbox'd -- and it's probably going back to my teen son anyway, who has lost his player.  I already own a T3, so I might be swapping it with a fellow head-fi'er for a T4 with bass boost.

May 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #28 of 32
Hey have you tried any decored Shure olive tips?  That in combination with around 70 hours of burn in has really brought out the bass.  I'm not left wanting bass any more.  Everything is nice and full sounding now.

I took the inner tubes out of a comply tips and used them in the Shures.  You could probably use any inner tube part of any tip that fits or none at all (but I'm not sure if the hole would collapse at the end).

BTW I'm using mine with a Zune 80 and no amping.  Actually, amping didn't really change much for me on these guys.  Zune puts out plenty power (12-13 out of 20 is plenty loud for me).  Now a portable amp helps with my full size headphones (HD580 and HD650), no doubt. 

May 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
Hey have you tried any decored Shure olive tips?  That in combination with around 70 hours of burn in has really brought out the bass.  I'm not left wanting bass any more.  Everything is nice and full sounding now.

Yeah, I have some de-cored Olives, but don't get as much bass out of them as I do the Sony Hybrids.  And, I'm near the 3-400 hour range on my RE0, so they are fully broken-in!  It's all a matter of personal preference.  I have a very deep, punchy $25 MEElectronics M9 that I have to EQ down the bass on it, and I'm not looking for brain-crunching bass, just a bit more fullness and impact.  From all comments on the iBasso T4, it should give some additional clean bass for my RE0.  Thanks!

May 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #30 of 32
I'd say try out the amp on bass boost and see if you like it. If not then you are going to have to spend much more than the RE0 to get similar but bigger bass imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back