RE0, but with bigger bass?
Apr 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
Probably like many here, I have a love/wish relationship with my RE0. I love the details plus the amazingly smooth treble extension and sparkle. And the bass extension is very good, but the bass body / impact is just small and 2-dimensional to me -- I want more -- not pounding bass-head (e.g., the S4 was a bit too much bass for me, with crass trebles, IMO).

I'm listening to mainly rock-related stuff, but some jazz, acoustic, trance, etc, stuff as well. Oh, and I don't care for an over-the-ear IEM.

Staying below the $125 or so level, which phone is going to give the best combination of details plus bass? These 3 seem good options, but are there others? PFE 112? Turbine?

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 32
If you can find RE252 used for a little more, I recommend those. Should have more bass than the RE0 while improving everything else too.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can find RE252 used for a little more, I recommend those. Should have more bass than the RE0 while improving everything else too.

Probably too much $$ for me, and I updated my OP to say I don't want an over-the-ear IEM.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 32
Very interested in the outcome of this thread too, love the RE0's but attempting to listen to an album like king tubbys meets rockers uptown for example is just impossible, amazing treble detail and extension with ridiculously light bass, tis just plain wrong.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 32
From what I've heard, the Hippo VB has been described as a beefier, more substantial RE0. Which is why I'm planning on getting a pair myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've heard, the Hippo VB has been described as a beefier, more substantial RE0. Which is why I'm planning on getting a pair myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just been reading some of the reviews, Im very tempted.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm how about just get a bass boosting amp for the RE-0?

I have the E5 and T3 -- both with a decent gain boost, and the E5 with a "bass boost" (or is it a treble cut??). But neither beef up the impact of the bass for the RE0 -- just the body some. The M9 has great bass impact, and decent trebles, and it was only $22!

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 32
i havent taken them apart today, but i just had an idea when i get home to see if i can put a tiny bit of dynamat on the re0 tranducer. not sure what it looks like in there but if it looks like the inside of a gr8 it might be possible...will try the re0s first before the gr8s

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 32
RE0 has plenty of bass with the large double flanges IMO. What it really lacks is dynamic range.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

RE0 has plenty of bass with the large double flanges IMO. What it really lacks is dynamic range.

I like them with the large bis and the (green) sony hybrid tips

May 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

What does this mean? I think it just needs some boost on the low end. It bass frequencies that are already there it's just needs a little boost.

When I think of dynamic range, that's more tied to the mid range which are ears are tuned to. The quite parts of the music compared to the loud parts. Anyway, rock that I listen to has very little dynamic range so any headphone has no problem reproducing.

And no, they don't have plenty of bass with any tips that i've tried. I'm still waiting on some Shure olives though..

Don't get me wrong the RE0s are great. There main weakness is lacking some bass and narrow soundstage.

May 1, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And no, they don't have plenty of bass with any tips that i've tried. I'm still waiting on some Shure olives though.

How long did you burn them in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I think of dynamic range, that's more tied to the mid range which are ears are tuned to. The quite parts of the music compared to the loud parts. Anyway, rock that I listen to has very little dynamic range so any headphone has no problem reproducing.

Yeah, that's exactly what dynamic range means. RE0 play rock really great even unamped with the big double flanges to my ears. Make sure you burn them in for at least 200 hours. Also, IMO you don't need large soundstage for rock, but your expectations may be different of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back