Re-ripping to Apple Lossless
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Repairing??? What's that?
biggrin.gif

No i haven't. How to do that?

CD Repair Kits at Amazon.
You can pick stuff like this up at your local electronics stores too.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CD Repair Kits at Amazon.
You can pick stuff like this up at your local electronics stores too.

Others have tried Brasso, toothpaste or even a very gentle car polish. If you've got very deep scratches it'll probably be beyond repair. I've had some success in restoring scratched CDs to usable condition. Limited success but some.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's under MPEG4 Audio. When you set it up you get a choice between AAC and Apple Lossless. Just choose Apple Lossless and save it. Hopefully they will make it a little more obvious in future versions.

the great thing about Max is you can specify both ALAC and AAC (whatever bitrate you choose) and it will do both for you with one click- rip to ALAC and save that while also making an AAC copy for you to use in something like an ipod nano. i love this about Max (among other things)...

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the great thing about Max is you can specify both ALAC and AAC (whatever bitrate you choose) and it will do both for you with one click- rip to ALAC and save that while also making an AAC copy for you to use in something like an ipod nano. i love this about Max (among other things)...

Yep, when I first started using it (before switching to EAC) I used to rip to ALAC, FLAC and LAME V0, all at the same time.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Others have tried Brasso, toothpaste or even a very gentle car polish. If you've got very deep scratches it'll probably be beyond repair. I've had some success in restoring scratched CDs to usable condition. Limited success but some.

Just don't use bananas! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260177

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a faster solution for this... use older dbpoweramp 11R5 (earlier version), as it supports "Apple Lossless (iTunes) codec" (obsolete with new version). The "codec" is just dbpoweramp frontend to Apple/iTunes Lossless encoder.

Everything works perfectly and is 100% compactible with iPod/iTunes.

That's not entirely true. dbPowerAmp's ALAC codec is a reverse-engineered version of Apple's (which is why you don't need iTunes installed). I've had trouble playing back the files with the AppleTV, though they do work in iTunes and the iPod.

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsoda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not entirely true. dbPowerAmp's ALAC codec is a reverse-engineered version of Apple's (which is why you don't need iTunes installed). I've had trouble playing back the files with the AppleTV, though they do work in iTunes and the iPod.

You are right and wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
Latest dbpoweramp (R12) include only one Apple Lossless codec, the one you write about.

Older dbpoweramp (R11.5) included two Apple Lossless codecs.

First was the dbpoweramp reverse engineered one called just "Apple Lossless" withing the program, with problems as you describe.

Second one was/is called "Apple Lossless (iTunes)" and was/is basically dbpoweramp frontend/wrapper to iTunes converter. This coded started iTunes feed wav file along with tag data to iTunes and used iTunes (Apple) encoder to create Apple Lossless file. I own iPod, used this codec/frontend for at least two year and never had any iPod compactibility problems with this one. I rewrite this again - this one uses original Apple Lossless encoder and you do need iTunes installed for using this one.

That's shame it was abandoned with the latest dbpoweramp release.

See the screeshot

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 41
Thanks for the dBpoweramp R11.5 tip kichu1979! Seems much easier than my solution (I had the same problems when converting with dBpoweramp 12) After doing some research I discovered this [nerdier] solution. I posted this in another thread last week:

===

Be very careful! There's a documented bug with dbPoweramp and the ALAC codec. When you play the converted ALAC files on your iPod some tracks will randomly skip and I found that they weren't gapless. I did a lot of Googling and forum reading and found a great (albeit slower) way to convert from .FLAC to .ALAC:

1) (if you haven't already) Download foobar2000 from here: http://www.foobar2000.org/
1a) Download the ALAC component plugin here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_input_alac.zip

2) Download "iTunesencode.exe" from here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=35242

3) In your foobar2000 settings, go to Preferences --> Tools --> Converter

Encoder: Custom
Encoder: path to iTunesEncode.exe <ex: C:\iTunesencode.exe>
Extension: m4a
Parameters: -e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist%" -l "%album%" -t "%title%" -g "%genre%" -y %date% -n %tracknumber% -i %s -o %d -d
Format is: lossless
Highest BPM mode supported: 16
Display name: ALAC

4) Drag the FLAC files into the foobar2000 window, right click and select convert --> convert to... and select the ALAC profile you created earlier. Foobar/iTunes will convert in the background.

The only problem I've encountered is that with a dual-core CPU foobar will try and open 2 encoding tasks simultaneously and it will fail. To get around this,when foobar2000 is running (but not yet converting) go into task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and right click on "foobar2000.exe" --> affinity and only select "CPU 0" This did the trick for me. It seems I have to do this every time I start foobar (the settings don't seem to stick).

EDIT: To permanently set foobar2000 to only use 1 of the cores on a dual-core CPU, download this: http://www.reality-xp.com/support/kn...c/imagecfg.zip and copy it to your foobar directory.

Run cmd.exe, go to your foobar2000 directory, then type "imagecfg -a 0x1 foobar2000.exe" It will permanently patch the program to use only 1 core (it alters the file, so be careful if you use this method for other programs)

Let me know if ithis works for you. The converted ALAC files play flawless on my iPod (because they're encoded directly through iTunes).

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #40 of 41
Good grief! I learned to write using an inkwell and a pen nib on a stick, sure glad I get to hang out here. Even if I have no idea what's going on, at least I know it's out there.
blink.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good grief! I learned to write using an inkwell and a pen nib on a stick, sure glad I get to hang out here. Even if I have no idea what's going on, at least I know it's out there.
blink.gif

Fake it 'till you make it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back