Re-ripping to Apple Lossless
Sep 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say, from now on I will use Max. I ripped few Cd's. They sounded scratchy when ripped with Itunes (lossless). Max did it perfectly using (paranoia).

Wise choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Its been my favorite ripper the last 2 years or so, and get the job done easily and with great result.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: can MAX also directly import a cd to ALAC? I didn't found any codec...

Yes, it can.
You find Apple Lossless under MPEG4 Audio in the Formats list.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 41
If you are planning on playing your ALAC files on your iPod do not use dbPoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC. It will skip songs during playback - I've experienced this myself. It is a documented issue with dbPoweramp's ALAC encoding. Since I have everything ripped to FLAC, I use dbPoweramp to convert to WMA lossless then iTunes to convert to ALAC. A royal pain in the butt. If starting from scratch as you are - I would recommend just using iTunes. EAC is a better ripper so you could use it to rip to wav or WMA lossless then use iTunes to convert. Still a pain.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfWands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you notice the difference in sound quality from encoding ALAC from itunes or Max

Lossless is lossless.

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfWands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you notice the difference in sound quality from encoding ALAC from itunes or Max

No, as the name say (Apple Lossless) its lossless...

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, as the name say (Apple Lossless) its lossless...

If the ripping went without a hitch on iTunes, yes. If you have glitches, they will be losslessly encoded as well. Unfortunately, if iTunes encounters a glitch it does not tell you, so you have no way to know which CDs were properly ripped or not.

Max/cdparanoia and EAC will retry and compare both versions to double-check. If they do not match, it will retry until they do (or give up and warn you after 25 retries, which only happens with severely scratched CDs). When it's done, you can be confident the ripping went properly.

There are some weird song number artifacts when you import Max encoded tracks into iTunes, so I rip with Max to AIFF (simple format, very hard to screw up), import into iTunes and convert to ALAC in iTunes. Slower, but safer.

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Thx TURBO
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: can MAX also directly import a cd to ALAC? I didn't found any codec...

It's under MPEG4 Audio. When you set it up you get a choice between AAC and Apple Lossless. Just choose Apple Lossless and save it. Hopefully they will make it a little more obvious in future versions.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Chaka! EAC and MAX failed in properly ripping my scratched rammstein-CD xD

Well, that sucks. Have you tried repairing the disk?

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Chaka! EAC and MAX failed in properly ripping my scratched rammstein-CD xD

Something that worked for me was to clean both sides of the CD with Alcohol 99%.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are planning on playing your ALAC files on your iPod do not use dbPoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC. It will skip songs during playback - I've experienced this myself. It is a documented issue with dbPoweramp's ALAC encoding. Since I have everything ripped to FLAC, I use dbPoweramp to convert to WMA lossless then iTunes to convert to ALAC. A royal pain in the butt. If starting from scratch as you are - I would recommend just using iTunes. EAC is a better ripper so you could use it to rip to wav or WMA lossless then use iTunes to convert. Still a pain.

There is a faster solution for this... use older dbpoweramp 11R5 (earlier version), as it supports "Apple Lossless (iTunes) codec" (obsolete with new version). The "codec" is just dbpoweramp frontend to Apple/iTunes Lossless encoder.

So you still have easy to use dbpwoeramp interface and can convert directly from flac, but the encoding and tagging itself is done within iTunes.

Dbpoweramp just decodes falc to wav and passes the wav along with tag info to iTunes.

Everything works perfectly and is 100% compactible with iPod/iTunes.

If you cannot find the software I still have this on my pc... its freeware, so can post it somewhere.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a faster solution for this... use older dbpoweramp 11R5 (earlier version), as it supports "Apple Lossless (iTunes) codec" (obsolete with new version). The "codec" is just dbpoweramp frontend to Apple/iTunes Lossless encoder.

So you still have easy to use dbpwoeramp interface and can convert directly from flac, but the encoding and tagging itself is done within iTunes.

Dbpoweramp just decodes falc to wav and passes the wav along with tag info to iTunes.

Everything works perfectly and is 100% compactible with iPod/iTunes.

If you cannot find the software I still have this on my pc... its freeware, so can post it somewhere.

Much thanks for this info! I will definitely try this out. May I contact you directly if I can't find the older version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back