Re-housing custom IEMs: UK
Dec 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rG-tom

Head-Fier
Hey,

Most of the information I can find with regards to having IEMs rehoused is USA biased. If I was to buy a used pair of custom IEMs, what options do I have in the UK to have them rehoused to my moulds? My sister is an audiologist so that side of things is not an issue.

Thanks

Tom.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Yeah, but one could have it done from UM direct for $200. Might turn out to be cheaper, if they aren't "caught" by the customs office on their way back.

Yeah but all in all I do think that it's better to go though their UK agent rather than dealing with UM directly. You don't have to pay shipping both ways, are entitled to local customer services and also don't have to do the shipping back and forth if a fit problem occurs. I do think that what they charge is actually fair for such a service. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not affiliated with the headphone company and I'd say with some other services their charges are just borderline dumb. Who'd order a Heir 4.Ai through them for 370 quid while the most you'd pay is a little over 300 even with custom duty charged if you chose to do the ordering yourself?

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 20
If your after cheapish customs may be worth looking at Cosmic Ears, based in Sweden with nice low prices. If a eu based firm would offer reshells as an option then I reckon they could corner a fair slice of the market. Cheers

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 20
The headphone company are one who I've been looking at, but 200 seems massively over the top given that places in America seem to charge 100usd or so. Also, they ask nearly £100 more for the v3s than importing them Inc shipping!!

Will check cosmic ears out :) Thanks

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
The headphone company are one who I've been looking at, but 200 seems massively over the top given that places in America seem to charge 100usd or so. Also, they ask nearly £100 more for the v3s than importing them Inc shipping!!
Will check cosmic ears out
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Bear in mind that with ordering stuff from overseas, custom duties and taxes always have a good chance of pop up, depending on the value declared. Given 1964's reputation, I would say that they'd never understate the package's value even at the customers' requests, and you're very likely to bear import duties + VAT, which will amount up to 20 percent of the total value. Taking into account also shipping costs both ways (likely with insurance) and potential charges involved from fit problems, it makes sense to me how that 100 quid extra is reasonable. Of course there are odds that they might get away not paying anything and the fit might turn out to be perfect, but hey, they're a business and they have to protect themselves, don't they?

Back to main story, how would you feel about getting some customs made in the UK or the EU for the sake of it? There's some of firms based in the EU that offer very good bang for buck, so do check them out. Here's a list of manufacturers based on regions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-24-reviews-ultimate-ears-personal-reference-monitor-added-12-08-12#post_7302111 

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 20
Please also bear in mind that when you are comparing prices, USA prices are usually quoted without sales tax, which varies by state. Sales tax can add from 3 - 15% to the dollar prices you see quoted, depending on the state.

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 20
No customs is payable if ordering in from within the EU

Am interested to know the answer to this myself as right side cable starting to go on my six year+ Westone UM2 (applying pressure prevents audio cutting out). Thinking might as well use them for a reshell experiement - that is if can resist spending funds on the latest Head-fi fotm 
tongue.gif
 Anyway my own research into a UK retailer has not gotten any further than what is mentioned in this thread

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 20
Hmm!

I had not previously heard of minerva before, their mi-3 look extremely interesting especially as they have them on offer at £100 off at the moment, making them £295 inc shipping!

They do not have removable cables though which is a big concern for me. Also I cannot find any reviews comparing them to the 1964 v3, or ue900s which are the two main ones on my shortlist.

Shall do more research though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back