Re-cabling ATH-ESW9
Nov 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Turnyface

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm thinking about re-cabling my brand spankin' new ESW9's.  I'd like to get a more durable cable that is less tangle prone and at the same time, potentially increase the sound quality. 

I'm looking for recommendations on cables and connectors.  I'd like to say under $100 total. 

I've been looking at the Moon Blue Audio Dragon Bulk headphone cable (probably need about 5 feet or so).  Also looking at these Canare Mini Star Quad cables.

I don't know what speaker connector I should get, but I'll always be connected to my Cowon J3.  (3.5mm).

Anything else I need?

or

recommendations on a different cable setup?

I've checked the guide and have no problems doing the work myself.

There are many types of connectors with various metals (Silver, Brass, Rhodium, etc.).  Is there one that is recommended?

Lastly, does re-cabling enhance sound quality? 

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 19
This plug is great.

The Mogami 2893 mini-quad cable will do, I think.  Cables have little impact on the sound, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  That Moon Audio cable is too big.  For ESW9, another guy who recabled his said that 26awg or 28awg wire is preferable, so 24awg is probably too thick.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 19
That's all I need?

12 feet of cable (6 for each side) and a plug?

No sheathing or anything?  Which would you get, the 26 or 28awg?

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT:  That is one sexy connector!

EDIT 2: Sexy J3.  I have the same source for music and love it!

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 19
The Blue Dragon is so well-priced, people would be insane to use generic canare/belden type stuff.  I guess you save a few bucks, but it's still a terrific value.  

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 19
Good luck fitting 24awg wires through the tiny holes in the headphone's cups, lol.  (Unless you are willing to drill.)

Use paracord for the sheathing.  You can source it cheaply from several fleabay sellers.  There's also Techflex nylon braid, I think 1/16" will do, not sure.  Don't forget to strip the quad cable's outer jacket and shielding or it will be too big.

Kinda wish I had an ESW9 again just to recable for kicks, lol.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Good luck fitting 24awg wires through the tiny holes in the headphone's cups, lol.  (Unless you are willing to drill.)

Use paracord for the sheathing.  You can source it cheaply from several fleabay sellers.  There's also Techflex nylon braid, I think 1/16" will do, not sure.  Don't forget to strip the quad cable's outer jacket and shielding or it will be too big.

Kinda wish I had an ESW9 again just to recable for kicks, lol.

Let's talk logistics here.  Cable upgrade is 95% for durability and better overall cable and 5% sound improvement (pseudo effect?).

I'm going to purchase the following:

1. 12 feet of audio cable.
  2. 12 feet of nylon sheathing (1/8" is the smallest they sell).
  3. One sexy plug.
  4. 2 feet of rubber heat shrink tubing
  5. some sort of y cable pant

this look like a complete list of things I need?

Also confused on the 4 different mini cables in the cable i'm purchasing.  is there a spot for each one or do I need to splice 2 of them together?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Also confused on the 4 different mini cables in the cable i'm purchasing.  is there a spot for each one or do I need to splice 2 of them together?

Thanks!

You'll combine the two grounds at the TRS jack (twist together, and solder both to the sleeve).

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 19
No, neither is necessarily better. Pick the one you like. 

I tend to prefer straight plugs, myself. But I can see times where functionally, the right angle is handy.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 19
You owe it to yourself to try Double Helix's plugs. I use them for like 60% of the stuff I build and I know it's quite odd to use a product with someone else's brand on it but they look really good at the end of a nice and thick headphone cable with the proper sized shrink wrap!

They're 6 bucks including shipping.

For a cable pant, just use shrink wrap or even electrical tape and you'll be fine. 

Moon's cable is actually very adequately priced, if you could afford a 4-5' length of that, and ask them nicely to throw a Neutrik plug in, you'll have one of the best cables on the market. I did an ESW9 and ES7 somewhat recently and they both sounded very good post cable!

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 19
The DHC plug doesn't fit flush with the J3's casing for some reason, yet it does not malfunction (mono sound or one channel "missing", etc.).  It may end up damaging the player or itself.

IMG_4525.JPG

I keep forgetting to bring this up here, see if anybody has any ideas.  Yes, that's as far in as it will go.  No issues with any other 3.5mm plugs of any kind, they all fit in all the way.  I suppose this plug is slightly too long.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
mogami/canare/belden they are all just okay. not too much different from grado stock cables.
spend a little more time on research before you actually choose one 

have fun :)

These are ESW9's but yeah I noticed the stock cable on my RS-2's are actually of really high quality, might even just swap this to someone else's SR-60's

Quote:
The DHC plug doesn't fit flush with the J3's casing for some reason, yet it does not malfunction (mono sound or one channel "missing", etc.).  It may end up damaging the player or itself.

IMG_4525.JPG

I keep forgetting to bring this up here, see if anybody has any ideas.  Yes, that's as far in as it will go.  No issues with any other 3.5mm plugs of any kind, they all fit in all the way.  I suppose this plug is slightly too long.

Thanks for the data point, so far they've been 100% with me minus 2 duds out of the like 30 I've used so far... the fitment actually has been great for some of my devices with a little slop in the jack so I figured the fit was really flush for some reason...

That would also explain why they can work with iphones with bumper cases from time to time too

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 19
Looks like a robust, fine RA plug. Construction looks easy to solder.

Quote:
And what's the difference between gold plated and rhodium plated? 

Color. Nothing more. Both are pretty equally corrosion/oxidation resistant metals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back