Re-Cable Grado SR 225
Jul 11, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Eagle Eye

500+ Head-Fier
I am wanting to re-cable my new SR 225 so I can have the mini-plug to be used for portable use and to shorten up the cord some. Is this possible for me to do or should I get it done. I use these strictly as portable and won't use it without using mini and even though I can use the adapter I would like to shorten up the cord some. Ideas are most welcome.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Of course it's possible, I would even recommend doing a full recable, not just retermination, it will be fun.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just hope this isn't your first recable, SR225's are not something you would want to burn.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 9
I would be my first and that is why I am concerned. To do the recable would you suggest getting someone to do it? Maybe so huh!! Your's came out very nice though.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be my first and that is why I am concerned. To do the recable would you suggest getting someone to do it? Maybe so huh!! Your's came out very nice though.

recable a ksc75 or something like that first. The ksc is pretty darn easy to recable and its a good place to start!

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 9
If it is indeed a new sr225 and not one that is merely new to you (purchased used) I'd suggest extreme caution.

There have been several reports of folks having been unable to open their newer Grados using any of the typical methods that were sucessful in the past with older Grados. It has been speculated that Grado may have changed to a different adhesive.

In light of this I'd suggest you may in fact wish to simply shorten and reterminate the existing cable.

My sr225 has a 1/8" plug from the factory
biggrin.gif

(I had to send mine back to Grado for repair and since they were re-cabling them I requested they use the sr80 cable which is 1/8", which they did do for me.)

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes the shorten and re-terminate the existing end is exactly what I want to do. I don't mind the wire that is on the 225 and yes they are brand new. I just want to shorten it and have the 1/8" plug. Is the SR 80 the same cable size that was on the SR 225 (Thickness and such)? How would I go about putting a 1/8" where the 1/4" is?u

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the shorten and re-terminate the existing end is exactly what I want to do. I don't mind the wire that is on the 225 and yes they are brand new. I just want to shorten it and have the 1/8" plug. Is the SR 80 the same cable size that was on the SR 225 (Thickness and such)? How would I go about putting a 1/8" where the 1/4" is?u

The sr80 cable is also a 4-strand cable as the sr225 (sr60 has 3-strand cable) and I believe that other than the 1/8" vs 1/4" plug I believe they are the same.

To reterminate is rather easy if you are able to solder and have the necessary tools.

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 9
As long as you have the old soldering tools out, why not put in a new cable and upgrade the sound?

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 9

Why not just cut the cable 4' from the cans and solder a mini plug at the termination point ? What is the need of opening them up and replacing the complete cable ? I ordered a mini plug from Moon and am intending on doing that but am I missing something ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back