RE-400 vs hf3
Jul 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

yrrnn

New Head-Fier
After recently purchasing some SE215s and being sorely disappointed with them (great mids and bass, but horribly crushed treble that doesn't deal well with rock), I'm in the market for a new pair of reasonably priced IEMs.

The headphones I currently listen to most are the ATH-M50 and AKG K601 - I loooove my K601s and they're now the standard by which I judge all of my headphones. My IEM experience is limited to the Sennheiser CX300 and i300, and the aforementioned Shure SE215.

Currently I've been looking a lot at the HiFiMAN RE-400 - I really like the form factor and according to Joker's review it seems like the sound is pretty much what I'm looking for - fairly neutral and detailed but slightly warm and not lacking in the bottom end as some analytical cans can be. Before I found these I was actually looking for something with inline iPhone controls, and was also looking at the Etymotic hf3. The iPhone controls would be nice, but aren't essential as I can always get an adapter for that.

Can anybody comment on which sounds better, the RE-400 or the hf3? Which one would be a closer match to the K601? Is there another IEM around the $100 price point that I should be considering instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back