RE-400 vs. BA200
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Modulus

Head-Fier
Fight to the death. Who walks out alive?

I'm about to pull the trigger on RE-400's, but BA200's are going for $135 on Amazon... forget price though, what sounds better? I have a preference for clean and crispy, mids and highs ftw.

Anyone who owns both or who has properly auditioned both please defend your chosen warrior.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 24
I have the BA200 and is going to pull the plug on the RE400 when my pay comes.

I did ask ClieOS on his opinions about both the RE400 vs the BA200 (he has reviewed both), since the descriptions sound similar to what I heard from the BA200 and he gave me this

Quote:
Yes, they do share some degree of similarity. BA200 is the better of the two, offering greater resolution and richer tone, also slightly better extension at both ends. Overall, it is more musical as well.

I think Techno Kid would also have experience in this area since he has both the RE400 and the BA200 as well.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
Fight to the death. Who walks out alive?

I'm about to pull the trigger on RE-400's, but BA200's are going for $135 on Amazon... forget price though, what sounds better? I have a preference for clean and crispy, mids and highs ftw.

Anyone who owns both or who has properly auditioned both please defend your chosen warrior.

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

"Better" is so overgeneralized and ripe for criticisms regarding the semantics. But the HiFiMans would be more crisp and clear. Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 24
The only thing the RE400 does better is lower midrange clarity by a hair. BA200 is in another level [better bass and treble extension, better treble presence, clearer midhighs, better transients/separation] BUT its a lot less user friendly, as it needs short narrow bore tips and deep fit to sound at its best

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 24
I just bought hifiman's re-400 for 100$, I feel kinda silly not buying TDK ba200 for 120$ (they're on sale on amazon).
Sound-wise I've read the tdk is considered better overall, considering soundstage especially

Thing is, I can't get a refund, I'm from abroad.But I do want to contemplate my order:

A really important aspect of my listening experience is comfort! Is the RE-400 more comfortable in any way compared to the TDK? In practical everyday usage comfort is as important as sound signature. Is the TDK more cumbersome to handle and insert than the re-400?

Thank you, just trying not to regret my order :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
A really important aspect of my listening experience is comfort! Is the RE-400 more comfortable in any way compared to the TDK? In practical everyday usage comfort is as important as sound signature. Is the TDK more cumbersome to handle and insert than the re-400?

That is too personal to comment on with certainty in my view. I don't have issues inserting BA-200 but you might. One respected reviewer has said this about BA-200 shape and design and I agree, especially when I compare fitting them as opposed to RE-272 (Both designs intended for over the ear wire):

"I will go ahead and say right off the bat that the shape of the BA200 is one of the best conceived for over-the-ear style in-ear monitors around. With respect to styling cues; far superior ergonomics. You could say the TDK BA200 has advanced to the next stage of evolution for those housings"

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 24
The TDK was surprisingly very comfortable and doesn't feel "worn". The cables easily fold over my ears.

FYI when I received my BA200 it had a 4' cord and no extension. I guess TDK revised the specs to have a longer cord instead
etysmile.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 24
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

"Better" is so overgeneralized and ripe for criticisms regarding the semantics. But the HiFiMans would be more crisp and clear. Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs.

Notes are softer and more rounded on the TDKs, due to their monitor-like design intentions and they do have a slightly thicker/voluminous sound, but even given that, they throw out no less detail than the RE-400, so you could say its smoother and less fatiguing. The clarity is just a perceptional quality I think, a bit darker probably but not really less clear.

The only thing the RE400 does better is lower midrange clarity by a hair. BA200 is in another level [better bass and treble extension, better treble presence, clearer midhighs, better transients/separation] BUT its a lot less user friendly, as it needs short narrow bore tips and deep fit to sound at its best

I'd probably give the RE-400 better midbass texture too (for lack of a better descriptor), but otherwise would agree with most of this. Less user friendly but shockingly comfortable housings due to light weight and shape. Separation is something that really stands out on the BA200 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back