RCA loop outs on some amps: always on?
Aug 15, 2007 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

badmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
Can I ask a dumb question:
Does the RCA loop-out functionality on some amps work whether the amp is switched on or not? Or only when it's on?

I am curious because the capacity to switch between a stereo and the headphones, on the same source, while leaving the phones plugged in, but not leaving them going always unnecessarily, t'would be nice.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 9
i've only seen it work when the unit is on.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 9
On every amp I have had with loop outs, they have worked with the amps off. Examples: Gilmore Lite; X-Can V3; MG Head Mk III.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 9
The amps that I have used with loop outs work with them both on and off.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 9
The only amp I can think of which could cause a problem would be one which is regulated by relais like the apache and b52. Theoretically all outputs could be dead when the unit is powered off but (sadly) I've never used one of these amps so I can't tell. All the amps I have tried (GS1, X-CAN) work while they are on or off and I actually use the GS1 as source selector even when it is not powered on.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Most loop outs are simply connections to the input selector switch (if any) and will work all the time. If the loop outs were buffered or processed in some manner, then they would only work if the unit is on. Or if the unit has relay source switching, oftentimes the loop outs will be on a relay which may or may not stay connected when the unit is off (depends on individual design).

Like other posters, I use my preamp as a source selector with my headphone amp connected to the loop outs, and the preamp off most of the time.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 9
heh, I found out something really cool on my BAT preamp... the tape outputs will pass a RIAA equalized version of the phono signal when the unit is "off". Of course, if the unit is unplugged this doesn't work, but it's a nice way to extend tube life, as the RIAA add-on card is all solid state
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back