RAY SAMUELS SILVER RAPTOR IS HERE! (PICS added)
Oct 23, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #121 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Favorably speaking substitute 2 Phillips 5687WB in the front!
smily_headphones1.gif

...and instead of a 12AU7, substitute a Phillips 5814A.

Since I know nothing about tubes! I have no idea if your pulling my leg Aaron! LOL!
tongue.gif

Actually I believe Ray put the Phillips 5687's in front and a Sylvainia NOS 12au7.

Whats diff about the 5814A???

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #122 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any other Raptor Owners list some favorable tube roll options?

Tung Sol D getter 5687's are the acknowledged best 5687 in most peoples opinion. But, the Sylvania 5687WA and the older Raytheon square getter 5687's are also very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 12au7 (and subs) is a tube that is not particularly popular among tube fanatics because of the tubes lack of linearity. But, some of the substitutes like the military 5814a's are quite good. I like the RCA 5814a blackplates and the Raytheon and Hytron 2 mica D getter 5814a's. The older pre 1955 Raytheon and Hytron tubes are, again, generally considered the best of the 5814 breed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #126 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know you posted it, i thought you only said that while i was on the other line..haha

Where in the world of berries are the pics?

Its coming in today!

Don't worry there will be plenty of OMG! Pics for Nate!
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #127 of 311
Quote:

Its coming in today!

Don't worry there will be plenty of OMG! Pics for Nate!
tongue.gif

Where the hell is it,Todd? We're waiting,OMG!!!!!!!!!

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #128 of 311
Just unboxing it and putting her together!

First impressions are that the unit is stunning truely what a huge difference a few tweaks and a color change can make!

Great job Ray; gonna have to wait one more day for pics sorry guys I was up till 2:30am last night talkling with Drew at Moon Audio and Ken at ALO getting the final cables etc that I need to complete the Apple Tv music server.

I expect to have the whole rig set up or at least a large portion of it by Friday.

I will crash the server tomorrow with tons-o-pics and more on Friday!

After carefully unwrapping and installing the tubes I have turned it on and have literally stared at this beautiful Silver/Blue masterpiece for like 10 mins. My wife this I have lost it as most of you already know as fact.

I will say the Raptor is smaller in person then I expected I am not disappointed just suprized. The pics on the web site make it look sooo big.

It was the same when I got my Hornet I though it was a key fob not an amp.

I am starting to believe a B-52 can actually fit in your pocket! Ray's got skillz!

As for initial sound impressions! You won't belive it but I'm sourceless till tomorrow. I sold all my imod RCA cables and actually bought one back so I can listen to it tomorrow. I hope the rest of the gear comes in soon so I can really post some thoughts. I know it's torture trust me!

Thanks again Ray!

Ps the Blue LED's match perfectly Billy!

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #129 of 311
One picture dude. You can do it.
evil_smiley.gif

We usually don't ask for much.
blink.gif

Allow us to live vicariously through your silver lining in our dreams tonight. Please don't make us wait another day! Be a pal
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #134 of 311
Quote:

As for initial sound impressions! You won't belive it but I'm sourceless till tomorrow. I sold all my imod RCA cables and actually bought one back so I can listen to it tomorrow. I hope the rest of the gear comes in soon so I can really post some thoughts. I know it's torture trust me!

blink.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #135 of 311
Thanks T. You have payed it forward.
Now I'm a true believer in "give a penny, take a penny".

Enjoy your new toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back