ray samuels range
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

reptillian

Head-Fier
I have been doing extensive reading of their page. Can someone confirm the tomahawk is really for IEMs and not for full size circumaural cans? then this would be out as I intend using full size headphones. I get the idea some models are aimed towards use with IEM and some are built for cans. A mindbusting range tbh.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 25
If you mean whether Tomahawk is marketed more for IEM user then the answer is yes (more for smaller size and lower gain which suitable for IEM user). However, if you mean whether you can use Tomahawk for big cans or not, then the answer is still yes. As long as the cans you are using isn't something very difficulty to drive (i.e. 250ohm or 85dB sensitivity), then you'll be fine.

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 25
Tomahawk are definitely for IEM.

Anyway, you seems to be looking for something small , yet powerful enuf to drive big cans? Hornet and P51 mustang are petite. But they sound much bigger than they look. FYI, Mustang is even smaller than tomahawk.
smily_headphones1.gif

WRT which RSA amps could drive big cans? IMO i think all are able to do that.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 25
Soundwise the P51 Mustang has an improved sound over all his other portable amps, is very small, and has a 3 position adjustable gain switch for powering large cans, efficiant cans, and IEM's. Plus it has a rechargable Lithium Ion battery that will probable last you all week and then some on a single charge. IT's a "NO-BRAINER". Buy the P51 Mustang. Comes in many colors and also two tone.
P1020032.jpg

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 25
the mustang is great, but why is the gain switch on the top?, covered over by the DAP it's bundled with. pretty bad design flaw imo. i'm thinking about the SR71 blackbird or the hornet. the hornet takes rechargable or normal 9V.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 25
Eh? I just turn the Mustang over & couple it from underneath...
Then you get to show the world the pretty writing too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 25
i've requested ray the dimensions of all his amps. don't know why this is missing from the site H x W x D. it looks like the hornet runs on rechargeable 9V or a normal 9V. don't know for sure due to the bad english. i may consider the mustang but before I will mark out the amps dimension with a ruler and decide what I wish to carry.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 25
Your 'bad English' or Ray's?

wink.gif

Sorry, I'd give you the dimensions myself, but don't have the amps with me right now.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 25
Are you honestly going to play with the gain that much? I would actually rather it be somewhere I will not bump it a deafen myself, in which case his design is a done very well.

-Nkk

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you honestly going to play with the gain that much? I would actually rather it be somewhere I will not bump it a deafen myself, in which case his design is a done very well.

-Nkk

I agree. I actually find that high gain doesn't really offer much more power...not enough to use at all. I keep mine on medium which drives HD 650 fairly well until I get a little crazy...that's where the SR-71A takes over.
biggrin.gif

For listening at sane volumes I prefer the P-51 but it does reach its limit power wise when driving the HD 650 for me.

...and nice color combo Mikey01. I hope you don't mind that I snagged one of those pics for my Webshots.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 25
Not at all. Use the shots any way you like. The blue and red was my nightmare till I saw it in person. In person it is 300% better looking.

Set an forget the gain. The superior sound qualities, super long Li ion battery life, and very small size over Ray's other portables wins hands down IMHO.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you dont accidentally hit the switch and blow your head off.
wink.gif

fair play
smily_headphones1.gif
it keeps your ears healthy or the quiet room tinnitus hiss at bay.

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I actually find that high gain doesn't really offer much more power...not enough to use at all. I keep mine on medium which drives HD 650 fairly well until I get a little crazy...that's where the SR-71A takes over.
biggrin.gif

For listening at sane volumes I prefer the P-51 but it does reach its limit power wise when driving the HD 650 for me.

...and nice color combo Mikey01. I hope you don't mind that I snagged one of those pics for my Webshots.
biggrin.gif

+1 The SR-71A is a "real" amp in a still relatively small package. P-51 is on my short list for purely portable use, though.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 25
which amp is most warm out of the Hornet, Tomahawk, SR71 blackbird, and P-51 mustang? I read in some reviews the predator is quite warm sounding? I intend to buy a denon D7000 and a sony SA-5000 for fullsize headphones. I head that the AH-D7000 is quite neutral for a closed headphone and slightly lacking in warmth. I have decided on an RS, the combo of build quality, looks and hopefully sound makes a winner.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by reptillian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which amp is most warm out of the Hornet, Tomahawk, SR71 blackbird, and P-51 mustang? I read in some reviews the predator is quite warm sounding? I intend to buy a denon D7000 and a sony SA-5000 for fullsize headphones. I head that the AH-D7000 is quite neutral for a closed headphone and slightly lacking in warmth. I have decided on an RS, the combo of build quality, looks and hopefully sound makes a winner.

I listened to the Hornet, the Predator and the Mustang yesterday at the Colorado meet. My favorite out of the 3 was the Mustang. I was using it on medium gain with a variety of IEM's. It's very crisp but rich sounding.

The Predator, IMO, has about 95% of the sound of the Mustang, and a USB DAC as well. If you will make use of the DAC I'd consider the Predator; if you won't use the DAC and are simply looking for sound quality, my choice would be the Mustang.

There is nothing I can point out that's wrong with the Hornet, but on a back-and-forth comparison I preferred the Mustang.

My two cents, from about a 10-minute listening session...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back