Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning an upgrade?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Hopefully it will be plug and play.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Plug and play? Dude- they make them with batteries - you never need an extension cord
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #19 of 34
Ok , what do you call an Indian with 3 testicles?

A buck and a half
biggrin.gif

Sorry couldn't resist.

P-51 is a departure from rays sound, I like it! I like it very much! Very accurate sound.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Are you planning an upgrade?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Hopefully it will be plug and play.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

only if you upgrade the firmware first
tongue.gif

well I know oficially thats not by definition plug and play, just couldnt resist
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #23 of 34
Warm, fast, analytical. My Tomahawk fixes what is wrong with the ipod. Fixes my Ipod. Good way to put it I guess?

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #25 of 34
Yeah, the P51 sounds different from the other RSA amps. I found the other portables to be a bit warm for my taste, but then again my priority levels are mids > treble > bass. The P51 is mids centric and I would say more neutral on either end of the spectrum. Where it shines is the level of detail and power it puts forth and it does sound like solid state to my ears. The other RSA portables sound more like hybrids IMO. But like many comments in this thread YMMV.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #26 of 34
The SR71 and HR2 I had way back when - didn't sound tube-like nor warm at all. They were clearly very Solid-State sounding. When I owned those two RSA amps, I'd just come off using an RKV Mk II - a nice sounding amp but certainly on the syrupy/warm/tubey side of things. Talk about a swing from one extreme to the other! The RSA amps were a nice change of pace back then, but I over time settled towards the smoother SS amps and the cleaner tube amps.

To be fair I have lots of experience with home amps, and little with portables. However, I do recall the Pico potable amp/DAC sounding surprisingly smooth and clean.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 34
The trouble with the pico (for those who like to listen to their equipment rather than their source) is that it's almost too transparent. Personally, I appreciate that kind of equipment, it underlines for me the quality of the equipment in question if it effortlessly provides an open window onto your source. The pico is pretty amazing. If we want our equipment to simply present our sources as is then the pico has that quality imo.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Ihatepopupads you should try the original SR71, very detailed and great sounding amp.

I bet! My only other RS amp was a tomahawk and the p-51 sounds quite different than that amp. Tomahawk is a little warmer, p-51 seems more revealing and transparent, but with lush mids. I really love the sound, it's the only amp since the iqube that lives up to my expectations. Everything else just didn't sound as clear. Of course I have only tried mini v3, T4, minibox E+ and iqube and E3-E5, so not much amp experience.

I don't know if the touch 2 has a better LO signal or if the p-51 just has great highs. But with my touch 1st gen I always though I lost a tiny bit of treble energy from the LO compared to the HO no matter what amp I used. I don't get that now with the p-51 and touch 2g. I'd really love to listen to a Pico and SR71 and maybe even a 2/3 move. Just to get a little more rounded in portable amps. But I can tell you I am extremely happy with the mustang's sound
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #29 of 34
well it sounds like I need to give the little P51 a listen, I really loved my pico when I had it; I only sold it on a couple of weeks ago in favour of the D10, but i'm not regretting the decision as the D10 provides a lot the pico cant and even as amp only the D10 provides at least the enjoyment the pico did. I may just pick up a mustang used, to see what all the fuss is about. I never liked the RSA portables before (only heard hornet M, Predator, tomahawk, (SR71 this was nice, but I hadnt heard many portables when I heard this) as i'm not a big fan of the euphonic warm sound, especially in amps and thats one thing that all the ones I have heard have in common (bar the original SR71, but only had a brief listen of a friends); thats also one reason why it has to be a pretty special tube amp for me to like it too.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #30 of 34
If you have HD580/600/650, you'll probably like the RSA "house sound". Before getting my Hornet, I thought my hd580's sounded somewhat subdued - rolled off in the highs and not very dynamic. However, I the Hornet really makes them come alive...the highs have sparkle and the bass is controlled and punchy. However, I've used the Hornet with IEMs, specifically ety er4s with not as good results - I can only listen for a little while - the balance is not so good with harsh highs and muddy midrange. I guess what I'm saying is that I can totally tell that Ray tuned the Hornet for the Sennheiser headphones, which is great for me, but not so good for some other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back