Ray Samuels Dark Star vs Cavalli Liquid Gold
May 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

T Bone

500+ Head-Fier
Let's say that I have $4k just burning a hole in my pocket and that I'm considering upgrading to an "end game" amplifier.  

Two solid contestants for the title of "Holy Grail of headphone amps" are Ray Samuel's Dark Star and Cavalli's Liquid Gold.  Outside of price, I don't think I've ever read negative feedback on either amplifier.  They both seem to enjoy well deserved reputations in the Head-Fi community.  

I have not personally had the pleasure of listening to either amp yet.  (I really need to go to a can jam!)  So this question is directed to the fortunate few Head-Fi'ers who own(ed) either of these two amps or have had a chance to audition them at a meet.  ...I'd love to hear your feedback.

Ray Samuels Dark Star - MSRP $3,495

Cavalli Liquid Gold - MSRP $3,999

I currently own an Oppo HA-1 amp/dac combo which drives a set of Audeze LCD-3 headphones.  I am very pleased with the LCD-3s; they sound fantastic to me.   It's not that I'm unhappy with my Oppo.  The LCD-3's are such good headphones that I feel like there's more in them that a Cavalli or an RSA could bring out.

I absolutely love the feature set of my Oppo - USB, bluetooth, iOS compatability, iPhone app and a great digital display!  If I upgrade amps, I would plan to keep my Oppo and employ it as a pre-amp / DAC so that I can continue to enjoy it's feature set.  (Did I mention I love my Oppo?)

So if I proudly raise my middle finger to the IRS and try to convince my CPA that a headphone amp is a valid capital expense for my business., which one would you chose and why?

May 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 40
Since this is Head-Fi, I'm sure someone will jump in and say Schiit Ragnarok and pocket $2k.
...or suggest tube amps like Eddie Current, Woo WA 22 or the WA5-LE.
Those are both great options and I might broaden my search later.  At the moment, I'm just trying to focus on the subjective differences of the Liquid Gold and Dark Star.

I love tube gear, but I'm tired of chasing elusive and expensive NOS tubes.  (I've done that with my PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 preamp and Cary amplifier in my vinyl system) I'm sticking to solid state options for my Head-Fi rig. 

I don't want to switch to electrostatic headphones, so electrostatic amps are out too.
I'm keeping my planar magantic LCD-3's for now.  

RESERVED

May 6, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 40
Neither. Commission your own build.

May 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 40
I'd add ECP Audio, specifically the Ravenswood, to your list. It'll run you $3.6k - $6k depending on options. Note - you have to email Doug directly since he doesn't have it up on his website.

http://www.ecpaudio.com/

May 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 40
  I'd add ECP Audio, specifically the Ravenswood, to your list. It'll run you $3.6k - $6k depending on options. Note - you have to email Doug directly since he doesn't have it up on his website.

Googled it - that amp has practically no footprint on the web and no reviews.  
It might be the schizznit but few people seem to know about it.
I also have no intention of soldering one together.  I'm good at lots of things, DIY audio isn't one of them.

May 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 40
If you don't know how good Doug's amps are, get from under your rock. 

May 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 40
  If you don't know how good Doug's amps are, get from under your rock. 

You're just a breathe of fresh air now aren't you?   You've made two comments on this thread with zero content.
I'm sure you have plenty of experience - way beyond my own.  Why don't you share some of that knowledge instead of making snide remarks.  That would be helpful.  

May 6, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 40
  You're just a breathe of fresh air now aren't you?   You've made two comments on this thread with zero content.
I'm sure you have plenty of experience - way beyond my own.  Why don't you share some of that knowledge instead of making snide remarks.  That would be helpful.  

Spend your money how you see fit. I'd say stop being so lazy and do some research, like, in the case of ECP - look back at the L-2, DSHA-1,2, 4 (Ravenswood).

As regards Cavalli my personal opinion is his LAu is decent. It is also severely overpriced and his business practices are crap. MSRP $6450 tumbling to $3999 in the first year, shoddy.
The Dark Star can be cloned for, say, $500. You want one still, Here

Further, ECP offers PCB's of his designs as well. So again, commission a build.

My personal opinion is stop wasting money supporting amateurs. And just look into things a little more. You say you never read negative reviews of those amps, of course not.

If I were to drop $3k+ or whatever I'd do a little leg work.

May 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 40
  Spend your money how you see fit. I'd say stop being so lazy and do some research, like, in the case of ECP - look back at the L-2, DSHA-1,2, 4 (Ravenswood).

What do you know about the research I've done to date that gives you the right to call me lazy?  
You don't know a thing about the research I've done or what I've read.  Why don't you go piss in someone else's Cheerios you pompous ass?

May 6, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 40
  What do you know about the research I've done to date that gives you the right to call me lazy?  
You don't know a thing about the research I've done or what I've read.  Why don't you go piss in someone else's Cheerios you pompous ass?

Dude, I used the example of ECP > DSHA-4 as a clear example. 

I understand why you're so defensive, I just don't agree with it.

May 6, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 40
Never heard the Ray Samuels so no comments there. I've owned the Liquid Gold for a while, which I think wasn't all that bad but overpriced nonetheless. Replaced it with the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and never looked back. Will drop you short of 3000$. Try to audition amps if possible.

May 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 40
why not taking into account an audio gd HE-9?
I have the master 9 and that is an EXCELLENT amplifier especially with audeze headphones.
I use the master 9 for critical listening sessions and audio mastering jobs.
I'm planning to upgrade to HE-9 but couldn't be happier now.

The gs-x mk2 by headamp is a solid contender and very valid alternative

May 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 40
DS perfect match with HE6 and K1000 but with LCD-3F i strongly prefer LAu or GSX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back