Raw Eggs
Nov 12, 2005 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
How safe is it to eat raw eggs? I often need quick protein and I just can't wait around until the egg(s) fully cooks, so I'm thinking of just cracking them open and slurping them out (mmm, tasty)

How does the nutritional value of a raw egg compare to a cooked one? Is there any difference?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I dunno, but it seems pretty popular with boxers in training.

haha

Coincidentally I just finish watching Rocky. Seems like a no brainer if there isn't much of a risk involved

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 37
DON"T DO IT!

I was a health inspector for 2 1/2 years.

You DONT want salmonella poisoning. Trust me on this.

Why on earth would you want to anyway?

B

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
DON"T DO IT!

I was a health inspector for 2 1/2 years.

You DONT want salmonella poisoning. Trust me on this.

Why on earth would you want to anyway?

B

It's unbelievably convenient, that's why. I also hear salmonella poisoning is pretty damn rare. But yeh, I'm still not sure If I want to try my luck

Anyone here actually do this? If so, by posting I can assume you are still alive

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
How safe is it to eat raw eggs? I often need quick protein and I just can't wait around until the egg(s) fully cooks, so I'm thinking of just cracking them open and slurping them out (mmm, tasty)

How does the nutritional value of a raw egg compare to a cooked one? Is there any difference?

Thanks

They've had pasteurized eggs for a while now. A bit more expensive, but eggs are dirt cheap anyways. The whites of pasteurized eggs are a little cloudy in color, but still as raw as anyone could want. Supposed to greatly reduce if not eliminate salmonella risks.

I got some Davidson's pasteurized eggs and tried to eat they raw once - eh, not really my thing
wink.gif
I still do like my eggs sunny side up and very rare.

Mmm, I love eggs. Sunny side up is my favorite, but they're awesome any style (well, haven't warmed up to raw yet). I've been eating 3 or 4 a day recently. Yummmm....

BTW, for quick protein, packages/cans of chunk light tuna in water are hard to beat for protein to calories ratio in an affordable, convenient package. Not as tasty as eggs, but it is a fantastic high-quality protein source - remember that when choking it down
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 37
You can do what I did and just boil a bunch of eggs (6-12) at once and just leave it in the frig. They last about a week after you cook them, are pretty convenient to just grab and go, and they taste pretty yummy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 37
Hmm, it's very very common to eat raw chicken eggs in Japan. No idea if eggs in Japan are safer in the States.

Why do you want to eat raw eggs anyway? If you want protein, whey is more efficient.

Best,

-Jason

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
You don't have time to cook eggs?

What do they take...a whole 1-2 minutes?

Thats what i though!

If you want quick protein, there are LOADS of ways to get it apart from raw eggs.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm, it's very very common to eat raw chicken eggs in Japan. No idea if eggs in Japan are safer in the States.

Why do you want to eat raw eggs anyway? If you want protein, whey is more efficient.

Best,

-Jason

Not very cost effective though...eggs are dirt cheap. I usually boil all 6 eggs at a time and leave them in the fridge. That way when I want one they're ready to go...or I can whip up some egg salad for a sandwhich...

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 37
Not raw. The salmonella is on the outside of the egg. The shell.

Take previous advice and boil a batch.

I, myself, love pickled eggs. They last forever too.

Sooo delicious!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back