Raw Eggs
Nov 12, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #16 of 37
it is only when you cook the eggs that your body is able to absorb all the protien out of them. You wont get the same amount of protein from raw eggs and your body can't digest them. Get pastuerized egg whites in cartons, no salmonella and your body will absorb it all. Also, low in cholesterol. Rocky was a movie, not real life.
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
it is only when you cook the eggs that your body is able to absorb all the protien out of them. You wont get the same amount of protein from raw eggs and your body can't digest them. Get pastuerized egg whites in cartons, no salmonella and your body will absorb it all. Also, low in cholesterol. Rocky was a movie, not real life.
icon10.gif

But Pasteurization doesn't equal "cooked" does it?

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm, it's very very common to eat raw chicken eggs in Japan. No idea if eggs in Japan are safer in the States.

Why do you want to eat raw eggs anyway? If you want protein, whey is more efficient.

Best,

-Jason

I have a large container of whey protein, but it was pretty expensive and already less than half full in a week and some. I don't particularly like it either, especially because it doesn't fully dissolve unless I use the blender. Yes I know im being lazy by not cooking the eggs, but I really wanted to try something new

I also love canned tuna or salmon, as mulveling suggested, but it's damn expensive to buy solely for the protein. I'de rather make some kind of a salad

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
I have a large container of whey protein, but it was pretty expensive and already less than half full in a week and some. I don't particularly like it either, especially because it doesn't fully dissolve unless I use the blender. Yes I know im being lazy by not cooking the eggs, but I really wanted to try something new

I also love canned tuna or salmon, as mulveling suggested, but it's damn expensive to buy solely for the protein. I'de rather make some kind of a salad

Hey, I was gonna suggest protein as well, rather than raw eggs.
If you want to avoid some costs, buy in bulk. myself and 4 friends bought 50lbs of whey protein, for 200 bucks canadian, so it worked out to be bout 40 bucks a-piece for 10lbs of protein which is bout half price of buying the tubs at health stores.

Also, as for eggs, why dont ya just break one into a bowl, and place it in the microwave for like 1 minute, and if you're in a rush, you can do that while you're tying your shoes or something. then toss the thing onto a slice of bread and you've got your serving of carbs as well a protein, and its something that you can eat on the go.

just my 2 cents

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 37
Right, most people don't know you can microwave eggs, for some reason. I guess it might kill the nutritive stuff, I dunno, but that's how I make 'em when I'm in a hurry. Quick and convenient. Picked it up from a place I used to buy bagels at lunch time; they'd toast the bagels in one of those super-quick rotary toasters and microwave the eggs, make you an egg bagel completely from scratch in two minutes flat. neat.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 37
i drink myoplex deluxe, way more good stuff for bodybuilding then drinking raw eggs... You want carbs also.. plus other good stuff. It's the tastiest stuff i've tried. Like a milkshake. I can mix it on the go too.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Right, most people don't know you can microwave eggs, for some reason. I guess it might kill the nutritive stuff, I dunno, but that's how I make 'em when I'm in a hurry. Quick and convenient. Picked it up from a place I used to buy bagels at lunch time; they'd toast the bagels in one of those super-quick rotary toasters and microwave the eggs, make you an egg bagel completely from scratch in two minutes flat. neat.

LOL, I saw an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos once where a kid microwaved and egg. When he took it out he was looking at it real close, and it EXPLODED ALL OVER HIS FACE!! It was hilarious. I think it won, too.

Have you ever encountered an explosive egg while microwaving yours?
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Not raw. The salmonella is on the outside of the egg. The shell.

Take previous advice and boil a batch.

I, myself, love pickled eggs. They last forever too.

Sooo delicious!!

What's a pickled egg taste like? Are they easy to make/prepare?

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #27 of 37
Egg-Fi...
x2 on the pickled egg... where can you buy them?

You know you spend WAY too much time here when you discuss eggs as though it were a high end piece of audio equipment.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

At first I was grossed out reading this thread... the thought of eating a raw eggs, but it dawned on me that I've never actually tried it so I really can't pass judgement
icon10.gif

I use one of those microwave egg poachers... a little butter and water, and your egg can be fully cooked in 1-2 minutes.

I read somewhere that selmanella bacteria can live in eggs?? Have I been mis-informed?

My co worker got selmanella and he had to go to the hospital for enhanced treatment.
eek.gif
eek.gif
He was in serious hurt... BAD fever and nausiated... the worst Flu he had ever had. A wiered rash spread all over his body because he had a strange reaction to the anti-biodics. Thats when they rushed him to the hospital.

Garrett

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 37
3dcadman: they do explode if you microwave 'em too long, yeah. If you have a microwave whose door you can actually see through, you'll see the egg start kinda bubbling at around 45 seconds, depending on what size egg you use, and what shape bowl you use to microwave it. I use large size eggs, a flat bowl (high end Chinese plastic counterfeit Garfield bowl, in case you were wondering :>), and microwave about 45 seconds on high.

kramer: I don't know what you mean by 'discussing eggs like high end audio equipment' at all!

wink.gif

BTW, if you know anyone Chinese, they do some great stuff with eggs. I love preserved eggs and tea eggs. Tea eggs are basically hard boiled eggs marinated in green tea and a bunch of other stuff for a couple of days. Preserved eggs...well, wikipedia has a fairly good description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserved_egg . Though I suspect the ones you can buy in T&T for a dollar fifty for six aren't made with quite that much loving care.

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #30 of 37
Long Ago, and Far Away, In my youth in the Deep South, the bars and some restaraunts had pickled eggs, Hot pickled polish sausage, and pickled pig's feet, right on the counter. No refrigeration needed. I got nearly addicted to the sausage and the eggs. To pickle the eggs, you start with a couple dozen boiled eggs, then immerse them in a spiced vinegar for a couple weeks. I make them in a mix of a whole onion sliced thin and broken up, a couple cloves of garlic just broken up, two or three jalapeno peppers sliced longways, some salt, and put the mess in one of those gallon jars for sun tea, cover with red wine vinegar. I put all the ingredients except the boiled eggs in a pan and heat it to boiling just before i pour it in with the still hot boiled eggs - makes the process go faster. Sometimes I put in some beets, sometimes I don't. Works the same with the hot polish sausage, but no beets. YUMMY! Think I'll gross out the womenfolk in my house and make me some!

Raw eggs are best for me in Caesar Salad dressing like it was meant to be - that is the way I have made it since just after they invented dirt, with the Lemon, the anchovies, the oil, etc...never have been sick...

In my late teens, while playing Football, and working as a Longshoreman in Panama City Florida, I used to go to a Bar near the docks, and have beer with raw egg in it - nobody ever asked my age, and the drink was good after coming up sweaty from the hold of some tramp ship all sweaty and worked out till I was shaky and thirsty. Never got sick....

In my Twenties, working on ships that travelled to the Philippines, often went
ashore and had a Beer or two with Baloots (half grown chicks and the mess inside the egg all together), never got sick...

Now in my Fifties, gave up the beer with raw egg, and haven't had any Baloots in years, but can't give up the Caesar Salad Dressing.

I'm sure there are plenty of Medical types who will still caution against raw egg, but I have not yet ever had a problem...but I usually had/and have them with some Alcohol of some sort or other, maybe that is why.

FWIW/your mileage may differ, etc

Now I need to go and make some pickled eggs!

EDIT: Oh yeah, cook an egg in the shell in a microwave, and you will test the strength of the door glass, latch, and hinges!!! I have used those doodads for cooking an egg in the micro, and they work a treat - I do it all the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back