Rational reasons to love vinyl
Jul 1, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #318 of 612
I just listed my "rational reasons to love vinyl" to agree with the OP, safulop. I don't care what the digiphiles think. I'm not interested in their schiit.
Dear safulop, if you are around we can discuss more about this subject.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #319 of 612

Oh, yes, I'm going to update my signature right now to reflect my identity.  I'll list all my computers, cars, audio gear, guitars, power tools, etc.

Die hard vinylist, pooper scooper of CD's - Yet what you chose to list as your main rig was a Tube Amp mated to DAC and Transport?   Come on come clean, you don't even own a record player do you!

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #320 of 612
I just listed my "rational reasons to love vinyl" to agree with the OP, safulop. I don't care what the digiphiles think. I'm not interested in their schiit.
Dear safulop, if you are around we can discuss more about this subject.

Which has absolutely nothing inherently to do with CD or digital audio. Nor does it support any of your ignorant, objective claims about digital audio.

se

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #321 of 612
Look, the fact is this. The fundamental CORE design of TTs hasn't changed much in many years. Material of the plinth and "resonance dampers", tonearm lifting mechanisms, etc etc, perhaps. But the basic core design hasn't changed all that much.  By contrast, the internal design and engineering of DACs and music servers are in much faster flux (not always for the better, I admit). Chips. Discrete components. Miniaturization (Dragonfly!) etc. That to me, speaks enough about the relative evolutionary trajectories of digital and vinyl media, next to the plethora of graphical data on THD and FR spectra, posted earlier in this thread.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #322 of 612
  Look, the fact is this. The fundamental CORE design of TTs hasn't changed much in many years. Material of the plinth and "resonance dampers", tonearm lifting mechanisms, etc etc, perhaps. But the basic core design hasn't changed all that much.  By contrast, the internal design and engineering of DACs and music servers are in much faster flux (not always for the better, I admit). Chips. Discrete components. Miniaturization (Dragonfly!) etc. That to me, speaks enough about the relative evolutionary trajectories of digital and vinyl media, next to the plethora of graphical data on THD and FR spectra, posted earlier in this thread.

But wait! There was at least one revolutionary idea - remember the laser turntable?  Quality on par with master tape or so they claim ....

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #323 of 612
Yeah, what a memory! Still couldn't get it to sound as crystalline and transparent as a CD. Presumably, the reason it didn't sell....like those huge  laser video discs and players from the early/mid 1980s (before DVDs came along). Size matters (convenience), but so does the medium. A vinyl wax disc is inherently self-defeating for max performance vs. the CD. Coupled with a physical needle to "extract" info from mechanically malleable grooves. Wish it wasn't the case, but can't change history.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #324 of 612
  Yeah, what a memory! Still couldn't get it to sound as crystalline and transparent as a CD. Presumably, the reason it didn't sell....like those huge  laser video discs and players from the early/mid 1980s (before DVDs came along). Size matters (convenience), but so does the medium. A vinyl wax disc is inherently self-defeating for max performance vs. the CD. Coupled with a physical needle to "extract" info from mechanically malleable grooves. Wish it wasn't the case, but can't change history.

Weren't you going to bed like an hour ago?  Don't blame is if you're grumpy in the morning
confused_face.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #330 of 612
So, here's my take on the most pervasive "reasons" why vinyl is so attractive to some (many?). Not always "rational", but I'm tossing these out there for further debate.

1. Nostalgia. Retro-cool factor of TTs and vinyl.
2. Vinyl playback (like tubed amps) tends to produce low-order harmonic distortion, which is apparently much less objectionable than high-order harmonic distortion.
3. Tactile and olfactory pleasure centers in our brain are better stimulated than with CDs. The "ritual" theory of vinyl: handling the LP, positioning the tonearm on the disc, jacket art, etc.

All of these (and more) likely stimulate the emotional centers of the human brain, especially the ventral tegmental area (source of dopamine) and perhaps even the amygdala (processes fear and emotional memories). Perhaps CDs don't stimulate these as much as vinyl, in some individuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back