Rational reasons to love vinyl
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #556 of 612
  Yeah right,
Compact Disc = BigMac $3.99
LP = Rib eye steak, baked potato, garlic bread, salad, soup, wine, dessert, coffee, girl friend, etc. $100.00

Price wise, very true.
Convenience wise. (well I spent more than 2 decades playing vinyl & tape before CD's) so also true.
But audio quality & accuracy wise, it's upside down.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #557 of 612
^  Given the widely-known vinyl distortion curves/measurements posted here a long time ago by others, it is a matter of taste, as always --

Steak = CD (every taste bud is stimulated to create a magnificent, memorable, highly-resolving experience)
Hamburger = LP (filling, but hardly tasty, empty calories)

There are times for both, but in my book and with my sound system, it's CD......

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #558 of 612
Is constant popping sound a universal artifact in vinyl playback ?

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #559 of 612

With vinyl, all distortion is universal! 
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #560 of 612

Vinyl aficionados say that washing discs, even brand new discs, will substantially reduce the amount of popping.  I've been reluctant to get a disc washing device yet, just can't get my mind around it.  If I stay on the vinyl track I'll probably do it sooner or later though.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #561 of 612

Vinyl aficionados say that washing discs, even brand new discs, will substantially reduce the amount of popping.  I've been reluctant to get a disc washing device yet, just can't get my mind around it.  If I stay on the vinyl track I'll probably do it sooner or later though.

It certainly helps, I have the yellow disc cleaner vertical manual spinning. Don't clean that often, as I'm not OCD about my vinyl anyways.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #562 of 612

With vinyl, all distortion is universal! 
eek.gif

Nice collection of classics on your page ! Lots of stuff to listen to.

I recently started listening to classics. Credit goes to a Japanese anime. Before that used to hear occasional Pachelbel in movie opening scenes.

Been listening to Chopin, Dvorak, Pachelbel, Debussy, Beethoven, Mozart and some more.

I like "Pachelbel Canon in D", "Chopin Nocturne No.2 Op. 9-2", Fur Elise, Sarasate Carmen Fantasia, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Bach's Air, Vivaldi Four Seasons, Beethoven Violin and Piano Sonata No.5, Bach's Little Fugue.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #563 of 612

Like you wouldn't believe. I've owned a VPI 16.5 wet/vac machine for 20 years. Can't picture life without it. Keep in mind, though, that no amount of cleaning will fix a beat album.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #564 of 612

With a worn, dirty or bad LP you definitely will hear that horrible noise. Try a new LP and you'll have a clean background as good as any digital recording.
Besides who in their right mind will put a worn, dirty or bad LP on a $15K cartridge?

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #565 of 612
With a worn, dirty or bad LP you definitely will hear that horrible noise. Try a new LP and you'll have a clean background as good as any digital recording.

That simply isn't true. Digital is capable of producing total silence; LPs are not.

Besides who in their right mind will put a worn, dirty or bad LP on a $15K cartridge?

I would and have. There are LPs I've owned for 40 years, played the crap out of them in my youth and sometimes want to hear them again. Or, as an other example, an individual with a collection of original Blue Notes.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #568 of 612
well what are you listening to, the quality of silence? or the quality of music?
if you think LPs can never be as quiet as a cd ... for actual human listening. you've not heard a good one yet. proper alignment takes skill almost nobody makes the time for.

a manual car will l drive like **** if you don't know how to shift. CDs are just automatics that teach you nothing.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #569 of 612
A CD will sound exactly the same on the 500th playback as on the first.
That's  reliability, accuracy, and care-free enjoyment.
No need to align a laser like a cartridge.
"Nobody makes the time for proper alignment" is an obsolete requirement in today's digital age.

And no, the best analog playback system will still not match the best digital system for noise-free, distortion-free playback.

All in good fun. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #570 of 612
yep just as I thought. learning is obsolete :wink:

the greatest hilarity of this thread is using the word love and rational in the same sentence

perfection is ****** boring.. and also relative. its music you're trying to talk about here right??

vinyl will teach you pretty hardcore about physics. sound is physics.
CDs will only teach you how to spend money to "improve" the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back