Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #3,271 of 6,938
Been juggling a few games over the past week or so:

Far Cry 3: Really digging it. At first I was getting really frustrated by it, thanks in no small part to the lack of ammo. Once you get a few ammo upgrades, the game really gets good. One thing I will say about the game though: It has the absolute worst soundtrack I've ever heard in a game. Just a complete drag to listen to. Still, I give the game a solid 8.

Saints Row 3: Yep, playing this again. Can't remember what I rated it last time, but I think an 8 is fair.

Sims 3: I thought for sure I'd regret buying this the moment I started playing it, but actually, I'm really enjoying it. I'll play it for huuuuge stretches at a time and not notice how long has passed. Seems like there isn't a whole lot of items to buy, though. (Of course, it's because they want you to buy expansions.) Probably a 7 or 7.5 overall.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,272 of 6,938
Quote:

Yup, been playing it on and off since release. D3 is much better now compared to its release, but TL2 is still a much better game. For some reason, I just have FUN playing TL2 each time I load up a game.

Yeah, I finally bought a legit copy during the winter steam sale. I'm at a level 49 now and still thoroughly enjoying the game...playing as an outlander. Though I started a new female embermage the other day for a different perspective. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #3,273 of 6,938
Deadlight 9/10 Slightly buggy. Good story. At less than $5, it's a good use of 5 or so hours for one pass, and more if you want to do nightmare. Probably not worth it for more than $10. Really interesting game though.

Mass Effect 3 9/10 Had to read up to understand the ending, but I don't get why people cried so much about it being bad. It was always inevitable, and there were more than enough possibilities for endings (if you played legit with multiplayer and imported a save, lol). Not as free as I would've liked, but that's a game for you.

Assassin's Creed 3 6/10 Way too buggy, way too unfinished, way too unpolished, way too jumpy with the story. It didn't really flow that well. The only reason it gets good marks is for the cool as heck boat sequences and tree climbing. There wasn't really anything good, sad to say. The ending disappointed me more than Mass Effect 3, which didn't disappoint, but rather confused me.

The Walking Dead 10/10 So damn freaky, so damn scary, so many tough decisions. Gameplay not really the greatest because of a lot of confused walking around and it being sometimes too slow (maybe on purpose?), but it suffices for basically a Westernized visual novel. I can see why it won game of the year awards.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3,274 of 6,938
Quote:
Hmm well I don't even know how hard that battle would even be, our playstyles are completely different. For Ornstein and Smough (well all of the time i suppose) I'm at the lightest equip load you can be while still being able to roll and move the fastest. That's absolutely critical I think. I have to be able to move when fighting those guys. Then I pick off Ornstein I think it is first then take on Smough. I used to have a lot of problems with those guys too, easily one of the harder bosses in the game I think if you don't know how to fight them.

I must have died like 15 times fighting these guys. Yeah, if you're a slow poke like me, it's nearly impossible.

The key for me was to get as fast as possible with as good of gear as possible.

I also had to upgrade my Strength to 32 to use the Black Knight Halberd with one hand. I think it was +3 at the time.

What helped me the most is using the pillars to my advantage (without cheating).

After FINALLY beating them I spent awhile upgrading all my armor. I wasted all my time to get Queelags Furysword only to realize I hated it and it was very weak...

I've got the Claymore to +15 and am working on maxing out the Greataxe. Hate most of the other greatswords.

Luckily New Londo Ruins was easy for me. The Darkwraiths go down in 2 hits for me luckily.

I've quit this game nearly 3 times now due to frustration. I wish the actual game levels were as hard as the bosses. Only 2 bosses gave me a tough time.

Such a massive time sink. 60 hours into it and still have a long ways to go..ugh..

Don't ask  me why, but I HATE those stupid flies in blightown. I never never seem to avoid those annoying pests. Remind me of the flying medusa heads in Castlevania.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,275 of 6,938
Ha you should give the game a break, sir. I only have played it on the weekends for ages now and I guess that's why it took me like a year to beat the game only twice, but I remember feeling that kind of frustration while trying to get past the Four Kings... ugh I hate that boss.

The Claymore is my favorite weapon (Lightning claymore to be precise). It's R2 attack is awesome. And it's light enough you can still carry around a big sword and still move at the quickest speed.

Blighttown was a nightmare for me until I figured out how to go straight to the boss and quickly ring the second bell of awakening. I never stay in blighttown for long. The rusted iron ring is great though and takes most of the panic out of running around in that level.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,276 of 6,938
Quote:
Ha you should give the game a break, sir. I only have played it on the weekends for ages now and I guess that's why it took me like a year to beat the game only twice, but I remember feeling that kind of frustration while trying to get past the Four Kings... ugh I hate that boss.

The Claymore is my favorite weapon (Lightning claymore to be precise). It's R2 attack is awesome. And it's light enough you can still carry around a big sword and still move at the quickest speed.

Blighttown was a nightmare for me until I figured out how to go straight to the boss and quickly ring the second bell of awakening. I never stay in blighttown for long. The rusted iron ring is great though and takes most of the panic out of running around in that level.

Yeah, I usually try to only play this during the weekend. Last night I was up until 3am playing it. Oops. I kept saying..."one more thing really quick".

It's amusing how I had such a problem with Ornstein and then yesterday I beat Sif, Four Kings, Pinwheel and then Gravelord Nito on the first try.
Sif and Pinwheel were dead in like under a minute. DEX is only at 23, but STR is at 32, Endurance is at 40. I really need to level VIT a bit more. Right now I'm close to having a Claymore+15, but need to get a Titanite slab. I think the best weapon I have is a Black Knight Halberd+5. I usually use that 1 handed (or the claymore) with the Eagle Shield.

Fighting Nito was pretty memorable, because I got to his area and I was poisoned(toxin version..if there is a difference) and didn't have any items left to cure it. I wasted a humanity and got full health and went in there and used my last flask after the drop. Killed the first two skeletons and then just ran to Nito while the toxin was about ready to kill me. Kept attacking him as much as I could without doing much of anything else. He dies when I have about 20% HP left and no way to cure myself. Toxin still in effect. So luckily I warp back to a Bonfire with like maybe 10% HP. Pretty funny.

The last part of Tomb of Giants was tough. Those skeleton dogs one-shotted me like twice. I couldn't believe it. I had to use my shield for their first attack before doing anything. The baby skeletons and the mini-Pinwheels wasted all my Flasks. Note to self...don't go in the water...

Tomb of Giants was easy for me until I got to the skeleton dogs! I think tons of VIT is best for them.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,277 of 6,938
Well, I'm back playing QuakeLive. Last time I touched the damn game it was still called Quake 3 and it was 2005? 2006? I don't really remember. I played during the height of OSP, mostly duel and some TDM.

Yeah, I suck. Big time. But hey, that's to be expected. At least I'm not starting at total zero, which frankly is better than I thought.

But, on the whole I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

For one, there's no anti-cheating software. Yeah, yeah, I know, here comes another scrub complaining that everybody aimbots. But, this particular scrub used to be a competitive player and actually knows a thing or two, and it's pretty suspicious when you have people that outwardly give every impression of not being good have disproportionately good aim or be able to effortlessly time items down to the second. When Punkbuster hit Q3, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the players that really stood out either started to inexplicably suck or disappeared altogether. I think QL is well past due for something similar.

Second, there's the whole map voting thing. People will prefer certain maps and play them over and over again. That is to be expected, and while it limits variety there's nothing really wrong with it. Heck, I played mostly dm6 and ztn, and quite frankly if I go on playing dm6 for another 10 years I'll be perfectly happy. It's a great map. Swapping the map pool around and taking away voting on standard servers seems to be a good idea on paper, but in reality it just turns people off. Now, it's really hard to find scrubby duel games where I won't be destroyed outright since the amount of players for some gametypes totally tanked.

Plus, there's simply so much hostility and so many accusations flying everywhere. It wasn't like this the last time I played, though I was lucky and found a good group of people to play with on a regular basis - people that were good sports, and a group that also included some very serious competitive players to help the rest of us scrubs level up. Maybe if I find something like this my overall experience will improve, but so far, no luck.

Mostly, I'm just another whining scrub though. It's frankly really, really great to be playing again. I missed it.

How would I rate it? Well it's Q3 in a browser. Q3 is simply the best shooter of all time, or at least that's what it became with OSP and CPMA. But this version is pretty riddled with issues. So in the end, I don't know.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,278 of 6,938
Quote:
Yeah, I usually try to only play this during the weekend. Last night I was up until 3am playing it. Oops. I kept saying..."one more thing really quick".

It's amusing how I had such a problem with Ornstein and then yesterday I beat Sif, Four Kings, Pinwheel and then Gravelord Nito on the first try.
Sif and Pinwheel were dead in like under a minute. DEX is only at 23, but STR is at 32, Endurance is at 40. I really need to level VIT a bit more. Right now I'm close to having a Claymore+15, but need to get a Titanite slab. I think the best weapon I have is a Black Knight Halberd+5. I usually use that 1 handed (or the claymore) with the Eagle Shield.

Fighting Nito was pretty memorable, because I got to his area and I was poisoned(toxin version..if there is a difference) and didn't have any items left to cure it. I wasted a humanity and got full health and went in there and used my last flask after the drop. Killed the first two skeletons and then just ran to Nito while the toxin was about ready to kill me. Kept attacking him as much as I could without doing much of anything else. He dies when I have about 20% HP left and no way to cure myself. Toxin still in effect. So luckily I warp back to a Bonfire with like maybe 10% HP. Pretty funny.

The last part of Tomb of Giants was tough. Those skeleton dogs one-shotted me like twice. I couldn't believe it. I had to use my shield for their first attack before doing anything. The baby skeletons and the mini-Pinwheels wasted all my Flasks. Note to self...don't go in the water...

Tomb of Giants was easy for me until I got to the skeleton dogs! I think tons of VIT is best for them.

I think maybe that's typical; one area or boss will be tougher for one person and maybe not for another, depending on whatever factor.

I always just pummeled those skeleton dogs with pyromancy. Melee is just pointless.

Do you buff your claymore with any spells?

Lately I've been invading using the Blue Eye Orb. In the Tomb of the Giants it's just too much fun.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3,279 of 6,938
Dota 2 - 8. Great game, sometimes annoying community, not as bad as LoL though. Kind of wish there was more variation and more items.

Civilization V - 7.5. Good game, just not as good as Civ IV. Too streamlined.

Battlefield 3 - Indecisive, i'm installed the premium stuff now.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #3,280 of 6,938
Orcs Must Die 2 - Can't stop playing it. Easily a 9 or 10.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,281 of 6,938
Sims 3 Seasons: 8.5. It's one of those "must have" expansions for the Sims 3, but it can be rather buggy and slow at times.
Also, wish there would have been a new community, but that's nothing too major.

Dragon Age: 9. Honestly, I bought this on a whim, like most games. I actually really, really enjoy it overall.
I look forward to playing Dragon Age II once I finish.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #3,283 of 6,938
SWTOR  - 9/10
really one of the best MMO's to come out in the WOW era. Interesting mix of the standard plant and DPS WOW combat and hack and slash. The community's actually very good despite it being rather small in the eyes of big retail MMO's. the free to play content is rather nerfed and its more worth it to pay the monthly and bank coins rather than but features with coins...yes you have to buy game features with real money if you don't pay subscription. Now this really wont matter until you're near level 50 and start serious raiding or PVP. The STORY's are fantastic on both sides Republic and Empire and there are many different ones. one for each class on each side; all of them very and all of them are very well told from planet to planet. The planets them self's also have full story's and its' interesting to see how the NPC's interact with your character.

Border lands 2: Started playing this again - 8/10
Still a solid game however a bit grindy. I never get good loot drops it seems but the world and game it's self is entertaining enough.

Assassins creed 3 - 6/10
The story outside of the animus is just bad....just really really bad IMO. the Connor's story on the other hand is cinematic and well told, it's rather good in my opinion MUCH better than "real" story. The game play has been nerfed into oblivion, I mean it's just nearly impossible to do anything stealthy or with finesse; this is just crippling in a stealth based game. The entire ONE BUTTON DOES IT ALL thing is very detrimental to game play and the combat is just really boring and repetitive; the combat is entirely centered around taking on HUGE groups of enemy's in relatively open areas so you're only option is to wait until they attack so you can counter, lather, rinse, and repeat. Stealth kills are aggravating hard to get because you just stick to everything and the targeting system is for lack of a better word BROKE TO HELL!. Free running is fun but once again Connor is covered in magnetic gorilla glue and sticks to everything you don't want him to. I want to run in a straight line, up a house, over the house, and jump down on the other side to air assassinate an enemy. instead I run in a straightish line, half way up the house before I'm flung in some other direction and grab onto a flag pole I couldn't even see at the time, dive off into a pile of hay then continue on to another building, climb to the top and jump to another, slip off the side and land on my target forcing me to fight his entire entourage. This game had potential to be good but after assassins creed one I really didn't like the story; It took a fresh scifi hook the first one build and turned it into(highlight for spoilers SPACE WIZARDS AND 2012!!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!.) The game play is the biggest problem I have with this game, the weapons you can buy are...pointless as you can't kill anyone without countering anyways, the ship battles are cool but too few. Guns are cool and PERIOD APPROPRIATE but way to slow to reload; animal hunting is fun but Read Dead Redemption did it better.

PlayStation All stars Battle Royal - 10/10
the story's are cool and honestly sony smash outdoes super smash IMO, the fighting is fast paced and fun. The idea of only being able to score kills with super moves really eliminated the cheap kills that can be had in smash bros, having put thousands of hours on smash with another friend who I don't mind saying is the most pro smash bro ever to live. I thing PSASBR is a much more well rounded game in all aspects....except the just terrible human beings that use Kratos and Raiden. That being said, Kratos and Raiden are the cheapest characters even conceived in any fighter ever; the online is mostly broken after the last patch but I have faith as they are an indie firm that actually seems to like the players. The support from first and third party's is staggering and refreshing, it's very cool to see company's going "hey, yeah we want in on that action. Oh you can't pay us for rights? That's cool just use this character and put our name in the credits" they get small royalties but nothing absorbent.

Hotline Miami - 10/10
once again my vote for the best indie game of the past.....what five years. yeah lets say that...well maybe tie with PSASBR. This game is just decadent in some way, you feel filthy after playing it...in a good way? This game IS being on acid and the music just pumps you up for really fuels this murder spree, the story's actually very good and has an...interesting but very confusing "twist", or not twist depending on how well you play. Just remember "you're a bad person, that has done some terrible things as of late".

well that was my week, how was yours!

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,284 of 6,938
League of Legends (4/5) - Great game to play online with people you know, however, the player base is quite young leading to "trolls" and such.
Darksiders 2 (4.5/5) - Would be a 5/5 for an offline game, however, the number three is used as a core for all missions, with three sub-missions within each mission etc. Gets really repetitive.
Sleeping Dogs (4/5) - Great setting in Hong Kong, however, the game is too objective orientated, doesn't feel like a true sandbox game like the GTA series.
Street Fighter X Tekken (4.5/5) - Good crossover by Namco Bandai and Capcom. Good Graphics for a 2.5D game. Should expand character list though.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #3,285 of 6,938
Newcomer to this thread.

Assassin's Creed III (PC) - 7/10

It's the first Assassin's Creed game I've ever played.
  1. It was decent, but I was hoping it would be more stealthy.
  2. I must admit, even though many of the weapons were completely useless for completing the game, the variety and selection of weapons was pretty impressive.
  3. The story was OK, but the whole Desmond thing was kind of pathetic, and not knowing the background history of him and his "crew" made me feel like I was missing something.
  4. The combat system was interesting and I've never encountered anything like it
  5. Parkour controls were good for the most part, lame and clumsy in other parts. I hate climbing up trees, putting my back against the wall, or randomly jumping off places when I don't want to.
  6. Connor's voice acting wasn't very good either, he reminded me of Anakin from Star Wars Episode 3 (always angry-sounding and robotic).
  7. The underground tunnels were kind of a waste of time as I spent a good 2+ hours exploring them.
  8. Animus hacks felt like an add-in and was completely unnecessary.
  9. The whole Homestead and hunting features were a nice thing for side-quests but felt completely useless.
  10. Hot dang there are a lot of bugs in this game! The side-quest where you had to "protect" Dr. White was impossible to do without looking it up on the internet (throw poison needles at the targets since you can't kill the targets any other way, and then you have to buy more when the mobile convoy comes around; seriously, What?). Animals or enemies getting stuck in trees was annoying too.
  11. Dem optional objectives................were freaking annoying. Air tackling the runaway soldier for the main story and the thief on the ship for the side-quest took me about 20 tries, and about twice that amount for taking down the entire fleet of ships in 1:30. Not shoving anyone on the street while chasing Lee or that one dude who throws money on the streets (I don't even remember what that was for) was equally as annoying.
  12. I only liberated 1 of 3 sectors in Boston because I failed the other 2 I think, and I completed the game. Is there no other way to liberate these areas?

I'm running it on a Retina MacBook Pro so my frame rate suffered, but that's not the game's fault. I can't play multiplayer as a result of the frame rate though.

Overall, a pretty fun game for the most part. I haven't played an open-world game in a long time so it was super fun just exploring places and doing random side-quests. Bugs, story ending, optional objectives, and some extra stuff were my only major complaints for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back