Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3,256 of 6,943
Xcom Enemy Unkown on PC. I just can't stop playing it! It's like Dark Souls in that it punishes you if you make one mistake on the harder difficulties. I love how it really makes you think about your next move. Feels just like playing chess.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3,257 of 6,943
Quote:
Dark Souls 9/10

I previously rated this a little lower due to just starting out.
I can't suggest this one unless you have no life or a lot of free time. Maybe if you like inflicting pain on yourself.

I could write a book on my experience with this game. Going through this game reminds me of "What About Bob" and his "Baby Steps" thing. Feel like it's going soooooo slow, but i'm eventually getting somewhere and improving.

I died about 15 times vs those stupid gargoyles. Had to call a NPC.
Yet none of the other bosses so far have taken me more than 4 attempts.
Capra demon.. got him on 2nd try. Hydra was dead the 2nd time I actually got to him. Fell into the deep end. Whoops. Quelaag dead on 2nd try. Gaping Dragon took 3 tries because I was trying to rush.
What's interesting about the Iron Golem is that he killed me 5 times in a row because I didn't know what I was doing. On the final try I didn't use a single HP flask..what the heck. No NPC either.

Senn's Fortress was a MAJOR pain. Right now I'm in Anor Londo going up against those annoying archers. After 4 attempts I gave up and will try later. Some parts seem impossible...

BTW with the shortcut, Blighttown was stupid easy. I did have problems with some flies..ugh, how sad.

I really also need to actually buy arrows. Probably died so many more times than I should have due to not having any.

NOTE: I haven't screamed at the TV yet. Quite impressive. No broken controllers. Despite getting about 90% of the way to the bonfire in Senn's and then dying, I kept at it. It FELT like it just got easier and easier and you learn from your mistakes.

Some things are just too unfair. Like those archers..ugh.

If I get past the bosses in Anor Londo in under 6 tries i'll consider myself pretty OK at this game
biggrin.gif

It might be the first boss where I might need to rely on real people for help. Maybe not...

It's also ridiculous how long this game seems. 70-100 hours for a game like this is crazy. I'm guessing i'm only halfway through it.

All the reasons the game are a pain in the ass is what's so special about this game. You die, then have to figure it out. And you can attack whatever problem in so many ways. I don't consider the game "hard", it just proves that hindsight is always 20/20

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #3,258 of 6,943
Reviewing Dark Souls also:

Gameplay : 9.5 (Frustrating at first especially in the PC version, but when you get used to it then the punishments you have received will be a valuable experience)
Story : 8.5 (Very dark story but intriguing)
Audio : 10 (Amazing atmospheric sounds with memorable boss battle music, in short, epic)
Visual : 9.5 (Amazingly rendered in PC after the graphics fix)
Replayability : 9 (There is NG+ and NG++, what more could you want?)

Overall : 9.3 (Average of the 5 scores above)  ||  9.3 (My personal score)

Quote:
Senn's Fortress was a MAJOR pain. Right now I'm in Anor Londo going up against those annoying archers. After 4 attempts I gave up and will try later. Some parts seem impossible...

I know that feel man... Lost a painful 100000 souls worth due to that cheat!

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3,259 of 6,943
Reviewing Dark Souls also:

Gameplay : 9.5 (Frustrating at first especially in the PC version, but when you get used to it then the punishments you have received will be a valuable experience)

Story : 8.5 (Very dark story but intriguing)

Audio : 10 (Amazing atmospheric sounds with memorable boss battle music, in short, epic)

Visual : 9.5 (Amazingly rendered in PC after the graphics fix)

Replayability : 9 (There is NG+ and NG++, what more could you want?)

Overall : 9.3 (Average of the 5 scores above)  ||  9.3 (My personal score)

I know that feel man... Lost a painful 100000 souls worth due to that cheat!

The longer you play the more numb you are to losing souls. I've lost 500,000 plus and not batted an eye.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3,260 of 6,943
Quote:
The longer you play the more numb you are to losing souls. I've lost 500,000 plus and not batted an eye.

Can't say I disagree with you. The first time I lost 10,000 souls I almost quit the game, glad I did not take that decision though.
Here's hoping that Dark Souls 2 will be more punishing and much much better than the first!

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,261 of 6,943
Quote:

All the reasons the game are a pain in the ass is what's so special about this game. You die, then have to figure it out. And you can attack whatever problem in so many ways. I don't consider the game "hard", it just proves that hindsight is always 20/20

Well, the game levels themselves are not too tough. I always learned from my mistakes. Senn's Fortress seemed impossible at first, but I got through it.
I basically stopped playing because I don't have the patience and skill to kill Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough without a NPC or online help.
The only idea was to grind for souls by cheating and upgrade my weapons to as high as they can go. I refuse to do this..I mean the soul glitch thing in the forest.

It seems like this boss requires me to almost use a completely new style of play, which means I need to get faster. The problem with my character is that I'm so slow it's so hard to avoid their attacks.
Last night I realized how bad I suck, because I died twice in a row from them without getting them past 75% HP.

The best i've done was to get Ornstein down to 15% HP. Yuck.

I think I made the mistake of going with balanced STR/DEX and then putting the rest in VIT and Endurance.

I can kill all those knights in 2 hits easily, but yet die so fast against these bosses. I think I could do it if I could use my Dark Knight's Halberd +2 with one hand, but my STR is too low.

Other than the Gargoyles, this is the only time I had any major problems in the game..

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,263 of 6,943
Quote:

2.3mil souls
NG++++
Get to new londo archers, you know the ones. Forget about second one for some reason, Run up roof, dodge and run intot he knight. Kill him; "arrow" hits me in the back, fly off the edge.
Respawn; lets party. After a while souls are more e-peen rather than useful.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,264 of 6,943
There was two unforgettable moment where I got pushed off the ledge and erupts in madness.

One was in the Anor Londo archers area, the reason I got pushed off the ledge was because I got repelled (staggered) when hitting the archers unfortunately at the time where the archer was raising up his shield.

The other is by being pushed by a rat. I know, it's sad...

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #3,265 of 6,943
I am currently playing;

Farcry 3 - 7.5/10 - It's a fun open world FPS with plenty of customization and allot of things to do. I found the first 5 hours playing this game to be extremely enjoyable, but after a couple more hours I found it starting to repeat it's self with the various game play mechanics which kind of took away from my enjoyment and it started to feel like a grind. Also the use of quick time events was very aggravating and I found my self failing a few of them even though I was doing the action required (I think I am just bad at them). I still find it enjoyable though just to track through the jungle as it is a fantastic looking game and there is always something going on, like the various factions on the island engaging in combat or animals attacking random citizens. 

Hotline Miami - 10/10 - Just play it! It is absolutely sublime and probably one of my favourite games of the year!

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3,266 of 6,943
Quote:

Hotline Miami - 10/10 - Just play it! It is absolutely sublime and probably one of my favourite games of the year!

high five broski.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #3,267 of 6,943
Torchlight 2 — 9/10

Absolutely loving this game. Everything Diablo 3 should have been. I torrented my copy so I haven't played online, but single player is addicting. I'll definitely be buying a legit copy when Steam has it on sale for the Holiday Sale.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3,268 of 6,943
Far Cry 3 (PC): 8.5/10 - Only played a few hours of it so far but damn, the world is pretty impressive. Gorgeous visuals, nice open world, plenty of stuff to do/see/kill. I dislike the inventory system, enemy ai, and some of the scopes just seem useless.

MoH Warfighter (PC): 5/10 - Played the first 3 missions, nothing very impressive. Visuals imo aren't as good as BF3, weapon feedback isn't as good either (something just feels slightly off). Haven't tried the multiplayer yet.

Sleeping Dogs (PC): 8/10 - Played around 4 hours of just missions (haven't really done much free roam). Pretty good, story seems interesting, visuals are nice (though quite demanding).

Project CARS (PC): 8/10 - Still in closed alpha (you need to buy a licence to play the current build), game is shaping along nicely, tracks are being added and improved regularly, likewise with the vehicles. Physics still need a bit of work on some cars, and as the game is not yet finished the UI and various other elements are still WIP. Have high hopes for this game.

Forza Horizon (360): 9/10 - Probably my favourite game right now and the reason I picked up a 360 in the US, I'll usually play around an hour of it every night when I get home from work. Probably the best looking and best feeling open world racer ever made. Visuals are more or less the same as Forza 4 except there is now an added day/night cycle. Physics are more forgiving, especially when going off road (on purpose or accidentally), car selection is more limited (no competition cars apart from certain one make specialties like the FXX and Zonda R) though what is present is a pretty decent selection. The only real problem I've had so far is that its hard to learn the routes, learning a track is far simpler. FInaly Forza 4 still has a better multiplayer suite, especially with Rival events.

To play: ACIII, Hitman, Dishonored, Hawken, Planetside 2.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,269 of 6,943
Quote:
Torchlight 2 — 9/10

Absolutely loving this game. Everything Diablo 3 should have been. I torrented my copy so I haven't played online, but single player is addicting. I'll definitely be buying a legit copy when Steam has it on sale for the Holiday Sale.

Yup, been playing it on and off since release. D3 is much better now compared to its release, but TL2 is still a much better game. For some reason, I just have FUN playing TL2 each time I load up a game.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,270 of 6,943
Quote:
Well, the game levels themselves are not too tough. I always learned from my mistakes. Senn's Fortress seemed impossible at first, but I got through it.
I basically stopped playing because I don't have the patience and skill to kill Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough without a NPC or online help.
The only idea was to grind for souls by cheating and upgrade my weapons to as high as they can go. I refuse to do this..I mean the soul glitch thing in the forest.

It seems like this boss requires me to almost use a completely new style of play, which means I need to get faster. The problem with my character is that I'm so slow it's so hard to avoid their attacks.
Last night I realized how bad I suck, because I died twice in a row from them without getting them past 75% HP.

The best i've done was to get Ornstein down to 15% HP. Yuck.

I think I made the mistake of going with balanced STR/DEX and then putting the rest in VIT and Endurance.

I can kill all those knights in 2 hits easily, but yet die so fast against these bosses. I think I could do it if I could use my Dark Knight's Halberd +2 with one hand, but my STR is too low.

Other than the Gargoyles, this is the only time I had any major problems in the game..

Hmm well I don't even know how hard that battle would even be, our playstyles are completely different. For Ornstein and Smough (well all of the time i suppose) I'm at the lightest equip load you can be while still being able to roll and move the fastest. That's absolutely critical I think. I have to be able to move when fighting those guys. Then I pick off Ornstein I think it is first then take on Smough. I used to have a lot of problems with those guys too, easily one of the harder bosses in the game I think if you don't know how to fight them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back