Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,621 of 6,947
The best way to describe the Gothic series is 'Okay'. They weren't great, but they weren't too bad either. I liked the Elder Scrolls games quite a bit more.

Quote:
Any of you Witcher fans play the Gothic series? I missed out on those (played Morrowind instead) but they seem to be the only "adult" RPGs.

May 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,622 of 6,947
Yoshi's Island (GBA)

Fun, if a little cheap at times. Halfway markers are placed poorly, often causing you to retread the more difficult parts to much dismay. "Lives" are insanely easy to stockpile though, and bosses are a joke. 

May 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,623 of 6,947

Quote:
The best way to describe the Gothic series is 'Okay'. They weren't great, but they weren't too bad either. I liked the Elder Scrolls games quite a bit more.

Speaking of Elder Scrolls, I must say that I enjoyed Oblivion quite a bit more than Fallout 3.  Not really the gameplay as much as the setting, characters and story.  Needless to say, I'm looking forward to Skyrim.

That said, though, I'm disappointed they're sticking with their own engine...the awful animations almost ruin the experience for me, the system they use is truly atrocious.  It's like animations from 10 years ago in games like half-life or something.  From the videos I've seen of Skyrim, it has a similar look and feel to it...but I guess I can't be too sure until I see some real ingame footage.  Still though, looking forward to it as much as ever, I guess I can look past a sloppy game engine if it's a great game.

May 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,625 of 6,947

Quote:
Speaking of Elder Scrolls, I must say that I enjoyed Oblivion quite a bit more than Fallout 3.  Not really the gameplay as much as the setting, characters and story.  Needless to say, I'm looking forward to Skyrim.

That said, though, I'm disappointed they're sticking with their own engine...the awful animations almost ruin the experience for me, the system they use is truly atrocious.  It's like animations from 10 years ago in games like half-life or something.  From the videos I've seen of Skyrim, it has a similar look and feel to it...but I guess I can't be too sure until I see some real ingame footage.  Still though, looking forward to it as much as ever, I guess I can look past a sloppy game engine if it's a great game.

its a completely new engine...before they were using Gamebryo, now they are using an in house engine

May 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,626 of 6,947
Yeah, they're using a new engine for this one. Really excited to see more of it, actually.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim, and I liked Oblivion much more than Fallout 3...but Morrowind is still my favorite of the whole series.

Quote:
its a completely new engine...before they were using Gamebryo, now they are using an in house engine

May 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,627 of 6,947
Yeah, they're using a new engine for this one. Really excited to see more of it, actually.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim, and I liked Oblivion much more than Fallout 3...but Morrowind is still my favorite of the whole series.

I loved Morrowind as well, only wish there was more content than the OC and expansion (maybe there is I dunno). The world was so open compared to other games so once you played it through you could start over and skip whatever you wanted and go get the cool stuff (iirc, been a while). Playing that before Oblivion really hurt my opinion of Oblivion as a game as it wasn't as open or cool as its predecessor.

I haven't checked out Skyrim yet but with as pretty as graphics and character modeling/texturing is right now they better not disappoint.

May 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,628 of 6,947
There were 3 total expansions for Morrowind if I'm not mistaken. Oblivion only had one full expansion (I think). Either way they both have TONS of content.

Quote:
Quote:

I loved Morrowind as well, only wish there was more content than the OC and expansion (maybe there is I dunno). The world was so open compared to other games so once you played it through you could start over and skip whatever you wanted and go get the cool stuff (iirc, been a while). Playing that before Oblivion really hurt my opinion of Oblivion as a game as it wasn't as open or cool as its predecessor.

I haven't checked out Skyrim yet but with as pretty as graphics and character modeling/texturing is right now they better not disappoint.

May 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #1,629 of 6,947
There were 3 total expansions for Morrowind if I'm not mistaken. Oblivion only had one full expansion (I think). Either way they both have TONS of content.

I had all the first party content anyway and that wasn't enough to sate my thirst. To each his own of course.

Anyway, got next week off cuz I gotta work the holiday weekend so I'm psyched for Dirt 3. Just gotta get my GT wheel out of the closet. :veryevil:

May 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,630 of 6,947
I need to get a new PC wheel and get back into Dirt. I'm excited for 3, but I gotta get a wheel this time. So much more fun that way

Quote:
Quote:

I had all the first party content anyway and that wasn't enough to sate my thirst. To each his own of course.

Anyway, got next week off cuz I gotta work the holiday weekend so I'm psyched for Dirt 3. Just gotta get my GT wheel out of the closet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,631 of 6,947
I'm currently re-playing Sim City 4 and Mafia 2 on PC, playing Steambot Chronicles on PSP.
Sim City 4 - 9.5/10. What can I say, I have never found a better tycoon. That's a game that really makes you sit all day with a piece of paper, a pen and mouse in your hand and feel really proud of yourself when you make it to skyscrapers. The only thing I don't like that it somehow manages to lag on medium quality on my 64 X2 4000+/2GB DDR3/HD 5750. It didn't lag at all on my old PC (Athlon 2200+/256 DDR/GeForce 440MX).
Mafia II - 8.5/10. I think the amount of criticism this game received comes from comparison with the original Mafia. Maybe not so breaking as the original, it is still an awesome game. The main thing i don't like is a little lack of content and lack of challenge.
Steambot Chronicles - 7/10. Nothing distinguishing, but a really relaxing and pleasing fighting/action-RPG to play. Not a "bus game" though - you can't just pull it out of your pocket in subway, play for 15 minutes and put it back in.

May 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,632 of 6,947

Quote:

I didnt like them much either, I didnt have the patience for them. It has been YEARS since I played one but I remember it to be confusing game. Now, I'm not into handholding but in Gothic I was so totally lost on what to do and where to start that I got frustrated fast and lost interest. ADD kicking in. :)
Morrowind in the other hand is such a fabulous game!

Oh, and about Witcher again, it has the most EPIC intro video ever! I mean that one before main menu! A real minimovie of Geralts epic battle with Striga, an important part about Geralts past. Dayumn! I would so wish that other games would do those too instead of just those stupid developer ads (some annoyingly unskippable).

*edit* Might aswell as post it here. I never get tired of this video.

May 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,634 of 6,947

Quote:
MaZa, how does Witcher perform? A lot of people are talking about great lags even on the fastest configs.
Please post your config and graphics quality.

Q9550 quadcore overclocked to 3,4ghz
4gb Patriot DDR2 ram
Nvidia GTX 460 overclocked 815mhz core and 2020mhz memory
Windows 7 64-bit

Game runs 1920x1080, maxed out details and everything is buttersmooth, almost consistently 60fps. Small framerate drops in few places like Trade Quarters, but it is still smooth. I have never noticed any lag. Biggest proplem I had was with 32-bit Vista, a known bug where Witcher tries to access more memory than 32-bit allows by default (3 gigs), resulting in graphical glitches after couple of hours (like black trees) and eventual crash. Can be avoided entering a certain command in command prompt. 64-bit windows is free of this.

When I had E8200 dual core (also OC 3.4ghz) and HD4890 graphics card the game ran maxed out really well, though with bit heavier slowdowns on those few places.

May 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,635 of 6,947

Quote:

I didnt like them much either, I didnt have the patience for them. It has been YEARS since I played one but I remember it to be confusing game. Now, I'm not into handholding but in Gothic I was so totally lost on what to do and where to start that I got frustrated fast and lost interest. ADD kicking in. :)
Morrowind in the other hand is such a fabulous game!

Oh, and about Witcher again, it has the most EPIC intro video ever! I mean that one before main menu! A real minimovie of Geralts epic battle with Striga, an important part about Geralts past. Dayumn! I would so wish that other games would do those too instead of just those stupid developer ads (some annoyingly unskippable).

*edit* Might aswell as post it here. I never get tired of this video.

As far as "epic" opening videos go, I quite like the opening for Demon's Souls.  Now that's an opening that's epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back