Grand Theft Auto 3 8.5/10

Brings back the old days...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,427 of 6,929

Quote:
Grand Theft Auto 3 8.5/10

Brings back the old days...
rolleyes.gif

If you never tried, you should play Grand Theft Auto 3 with RealGTA3 mod, changes all cars in the game, texture, weapons and rebalanced damage, etc: http://realgta.net/realgta/info.html

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,428 of 6,929
Zelda: Twilight Princess - Replaying it on the Wii, does not hold up to the test of time. I can barely play it for 20 minutes without just being bored. No voice acting, uninteresting characters/plot, archaic EVERYTHING. I have no idea how I slogged through it the first go around. Oh wait, I remember, I had nothing else to play.

Resident Evil 1 remake - Another victim of the old ways. It's meant to be difficult, I know, but it's not necessarily the "good" kind of difficult like in Shinobi for PS2 or Devil May Cry 3. It's more trial-and-error and rote memorization than actual fun. I'd rather replay Code Veronica. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,429 of 6,929
Dragon Age II: 8.5/10

I'm about 14 hours in right now (yep, I've been neglecting college coursework completely) and I loved the first 12 hours. The last few have begun to feel a bit repetitive and claustrophobic due to the setting, but hopefully there's still room for improvement on this one.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,430 of 6,929

Quote:
If you never tried, you should play Grand Theft Auto 3 with RealGTA3 mod, changes all cars in the game, texture, weapons and rebalanced damage, etc: http://realgta.net/realgta/info.html

Ah I will try it. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,432 of 6,929
Dragon Age 2 - 23 hours in already....jeez lovin' every moment of it. Better graphics (dx9 looks just like the original and doesn't look much better), faster, flashier, more dynamic combats, sleek menus, sleek attribute layouts, simplified inventory management system (employment of the junk folder is an indispensable addon). This sequel is better than the precursor in almost every way. Granted, it's 20 hours shorter and many fans of the original are not happy w/ this. But I am. GG.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,433 of 6,929

Quote:
Dragon Age 2 - 23 hours in already....jeez lovin' every moment of it. Better graphics (dx9 looks just like the original and doesn't look much better), faster, flashier, more dynamic combats, sleek menus, sleek attribute layouts, simplified inventory management system (employment of the junk folder is an indispensable addon). This sequel is better than the precursor in almost every way. Granted, it's 20 hours shorter and many fans of the original are not happy w/ this. But I am. GG.

i want it!

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,434 of 6,929

Quote:

Glad you're enjoying it, but it I'm really skeptical about this game. Just from what all the reviewers have been saying, it seems like they simplified it for the action/console crowd at the expense of the RPG and min/max elements. Pity they didn't leave it as a more pure tactical RPG game. I'd still check it out at some point, but I'm just not that hyped about it.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,435 of 6,929
I played the demo...it was an instant turn off.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #1,436 of 6,929

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it, but it I'm really skeptical about this game. Just from what all the reviewers have been saying, it seems like they simplified it for the action/console crowd at the expense of the RPG and min/max elements. Pity they didn't leave it as a more pure tactical RPG game. I'd still check it out at some point, but I'm just not that hyped about it.

The combat hasn't changed much from DA:O. Some changes are for the worse, some are for the better, but mostly the same.

While the pace of combat has been sped up in order to allow console players to button mash their way through the game on easier difficulties, that change has a fairly minor impact on the PC version other than forcing the player to pause more often to maintain the level of control granularity that was available in DA:O. A bit of a dumb decision to speed up combat only to force the player to slow it down again, but hey, some console players want their button mashing fun. Bigger issue is that not all enemy combatants are on the field when each fight starts. Usually they'll spawn in a couple of waves which wreaks havoc on any positioning you've done. It's an ugly and kludgy way of increasing encounter difficulty.

Combat has also seen a couple of improvements. Knockback is a major combat component now, which greatly reduces (at least in early game) the effectiveness of mages as they can get easily stunlocked by archers if they draw too much fire. Mages also get a (much needed) nerf to their crowd control skills and are no longer able to keep the majority of enemies on a map locked down. Friendly fire has seen an upgrade, and AoE melee damage, knockdowns, and status effects will now affect companions. Nightmare difficulty is more difficult than it was in DA:O, mostly because mage and potion spam doesn't work nearly as well. 

Stat distribution is mostly the same, but with some much needed transparency. Skill progression lines have been replaced by trees. Not much simplification there either. Companions are no longer able to equip armor though, instead coming with their own armor to allow them to keep a consistent appearance.

Really, the big DA2 issues are the loss of a top down isometric view, the constant reuse of locations, and the lack of a compelling narrative structure at the beginning of the game.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,437 of 6,929
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Probably a 9 so far. Not even close to the end.

It took me forever to buy the new Batman: Arkham Asylum. I once bought it for $30 about 6 months ago and then ended up returning it. The idea of playing a batman game just doesn't sound good.
I finally bought it again and got the Game of the Year edition and love it. It's really quite addicting. I just hate how huge Batman is on screen and how awful the control is when he's moving slow. Reminds me of the terrible control in the first few Tombraider games.
I just now left Arkham Mansion so I'm not that far into the game.

After this I may play Fallout 3 over again. I've only beaten that game about a dozen times and put at least 300 hours into it. I loved it so much that I actually have a playthrough of it on Youtube. The game kept crashing so much for me when I used the PC version that I rushed it just to get it over with and beat it at level 11 or so. That's possibly the worst way to play the game. If you just follow the main storyline you lose out on the whole experience of the game. What's funny is that I actually hate New Vegas, but to me Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever made and I can play it over and over in different ways and not get sick of it. The only negative is that the combat isn't as fun as say Uncharted 2, but no big deal. I love how Fallout 3 seems to reward you for exploring, unlike New Vegas. BTW I can't wait to play "Skyrim".

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,438 of 6,929
^ I enjoyed BAA thoroughly. Was the best movie game I've ever played. Arkham City is due this October so I'm no less than stoked about that. 300 hours on a singleplayer game eh? GG. I myself have injected 6600 hours into Guild Wars but that was spread over 5 years. Skyrim is on my list also. The score of Oblivion was sublime. Nothing less short of Jeremy Soule.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,439 of 6,929

Quote:
Gran Turismo 5 - 9/10 

If all the cars were premium, no doubt a 10/10.  Anybody who likes racing games NEEDS to get this game.

Agreed.. Has rarely left the PS3 since thanksgiving . Love this game.. only 3 more endurance races to finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back