Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,412 of 6,936
Monster Hunter freedom unite: the training part was a PITA but pass that is a very addicting game, finally a game that keep me entertained in the PSP. and I am only starting, will make a better rate once i get more into it. 

and I tried the demo from Echochrome, completely different to anything i've play before. very very interesting, first i was like "meh, too easy" but then i got to one level that made me think for a while, so i guess the higher level will be more demanding. Im getting thie full game for sure.

and also the remake for PSP of Metal Slug. is retty much the same as the old NeoGeo, but brings me good memories of my childhood :D

lastly, a mini, The dark warrior, kept me busy for a while, i think one can beat the game in1.5 hours or less, but it also has challenges, its not so mini really, graphics are toon-esque, the slash and dash can be repetitive and the quests are too simples, but hey! its just a mini. Id say a good one to play a couple of times anf have fun a few hours.

well, seems like I am liking the PSP after all.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,413 of 6,936
Quote:
Monster Hunter freedom unite: the training part was a PITA but pass that is a very addicting game, finally a game that keep me entertained in the PSP. and I am only starting, will make a better rate once i get more into it. 

and I tried the demo from Echochrome, completely different to anything i've play before. very very interesting, first i was like "meh, too easy" but then i got to one level that made me think for a while, so i guess the higher level will be more demanding. Im getting thie full game for sure.

and also the remake for PSP of Metal Slug. is retty much the same as the old NeoGeo, but brings me good memories of my childhood :D

lastly, a mini, The dark warrior, kept me busy for a while, i think one can beat the game in1.5 hours or less, but it also has challenges, its not so mini really, graphics are toon-esque, the slash and dash can be repetitive and the quests are too simples, but hey! its just a mini. Id say a good one to play a couple of times anf have fun a few hours.

well, seems like I am liking the PSP after all.

MHFU is such a deep and complex game, great fun as well. I actually bought a WII solely to play MH Tri lol.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,414 of 6,936
Alright, now that I'm near the very end of Bulletstorm, I will say it's more than mediocre. Not great, but fulfills its role as a very fun distraction. 7/10 at best. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,415 of 6,936
I bought me:
PES 2011: my bro and I used to like these on the PC series since winning eleven, prefer it over the EA ones anytime.
Ghost of Sparta: second try for God of war....
Lord of Arcana: i have great expectations on this one, the demo was good.

and for PC: i heard Dragon Age II is coming next week?

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,416 of 6,936
Crysis 2 multi demo pc. It's basically CoD meets Halo. If an Infinity Ward employee was playing the demo, he would be very pleased to know Crytek multi team copied and pasted so many things from their franchise, Call of Duty: Crysis would sound more befitting. Rank system, kill cams, kill streak rewards, nano module loadout system, unlockable accolades, animation/orientation of firearms when sprinting, switching to sidearm is always faster than reloading mechanic, and others. There are things that are not CoD-clone'ish but those are rather overshadowed by the conspicuous I aforementioned. Despite this, multi is quite fun, SCAR sounds very satisfying, but not liking the new fatsuit. Armour mode does not absorb all the damage before depleting health and will also deplete energy when switched on. Seeing how they named it "nanosuit 2.0" I utterly do not see how this new suit is superior to the predecessor in any way. Like I said, nanosuit 0.2 sounds about right. Comin' in as a fairly hardcore Wars player myself that loves to roam around the map using circle jumps, I'm rather bummed out. My sentiments are in parallel to:

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,417 of 6,936

Quote:
Alright, now that I'm near the very end of Bulletstorm, I will say it's more than mediocre. Not great, but fulfills its role as a very fun distraction. 7/10 at best. 

Have you tried the multiplayer?  I played with two of my friends, both really enjoy the single and multiplayer, but i found it to be a bit repetitive.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #1,418 of 6,936
I have been playing Osu! for the last while now, which is basically DDR meets Computer, but it's a lot more addicting for those not physically inclined to jump around, and there are probably more songs to choose from. 9.5/10. 

That said, it's pretty hard to get really good at it and it's not very user friendly.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,420 of 6,936
From my latest blog entry:

I finally finished playing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Mass Effect 2.

First, let’s talk about Uncharted 2. I’m not quite sure if Uncharted 2 is significantly better than the previous game in every way, but in most ways, especially in terms of gameplay I think it was an improvement, with less repetition and more interesting A.I. behavior. The visuals were more varied this time around instead of so much of the same jungle and ruins combo. The story is pretty much the same run-of-the-mill type of Indiana Jones wannabe narrative, and it felt pretty lazy to me because there are so many ways to make a treasure-hunting narrative far more interesting, yet they stuck to the already done-to-death premise/plot structure we’ve seen far too many times already.

The tone feels the same as the first game, except with a bit more back-stabbing happening in-between the witty banters. I wish video games would STOP it with the silly one-liners from enemy goons though. I can’t stand it when there are countless henchmen–hundreds of them employed by the “enemy boss”–yet all these faceless goons know you by name and taunt you with dumbtastic one-liners like “You are DEAD, Drake!” “I’m going to GET you, Drake!” as if there’s a long history of blood feud between each of them and you. Video game writing may have advanced a lot in the last decade, but this is one aspect that’s still as stupid as ever. Who the hell makes these decisions? The writer? The game designer? The creative director? The producer? Is there no one fighting against this idiocy?

On normal difficulty, there were some spots where I died over and over before I could get past them, and a couple of times I was ready to put down the controller and not touch the game for a month. The ending was okay, and the game didn’t overstay its welcome. Emotionally, it really wasn’t anything special at all, but it’s not as if I expected it to have the kind of emotional resonance that great RPG’s have–it’s really just a popcorn game at the end of the day, totally disposable and in good fun.

Now, Mass Effect 2.

While Bioware games are in general always enjoyable, Mass Effect 2 felt a bit formulaic to me. The story structure and progression didn’t feel as organic, and I think a lot of it has to do with the whole “recruit people on this list” approach. When a game is written that way, the writer loses a lot of control over the pacing and flow, as well as the opportunity to tie these characters on the list firmly into the main story arc.

Because the game was designed so that you could go and recruit any of the people on the list in any order you want, they have to be completely self-contained standalone stories within the main story arc, and that makes them feel detaches and uninvolved, not to mention it’s hard to have a real sense of how the relationship between these characters develop. The game tried to inject that into scenes that happen on the Normandy, such as the rift between Miranda and Jack, but they tend to feel too contrived. I would have preferred if you had to recruit the people on the list in a specific order, which would allow the writers to control the pacing tightly for more satisfying dramatic developments.

The fact that you could only take two members with you to any mission also feels really limiting. It used to be that games had to be that way because of resource limitations, but now in the 21st Century, it seems almost arbitrary. There were missions that were obviously more dangerous than others, and you would need to bring more help with you, but two is always the hard limit. Even in the last mission where everyone was involved, they had to contrive a way for you to only have two other characters that you can command. In some ways I understand this way involves a lot less complications for the developer, but at the same time, it just doesn’t feel quite right.
Another thing that bugged me a little was how on the Normandy, there were two crew members in a room alone, sitting at a table and talking. They had different things to say at first, but once they ran out of recorded dialogues, they just sat there staring at each other, and it was really creepy. While this is how RPG’s have always been, in this particular case, it really stuck out because they were completely isolated in a room, and they were just staring at each other like mindless zombies. In other areas of the ship it felt less creepy because you have crew members everywhere, so there’s no sense of a magnifying glass on any one of them. I really wish that developers will record at least twice or three times as much random banter of NPC’s so the whole universe feels a lot more real and alive.

In a past blog entry I had mentioned that I wanted to see really unexpected things happen on the Normandy, like it getting invaded, and I almost laughed when it really happened in ME2. But I was disappointed in how it was handled, since it felt more like an interactive movie than any kind of a real challenge or problem you had to resolve.
One last thing I want to mention is that the more I play RPG’s, the more frustrated I get at how dead-ends are sometimes reached in dialogue trees. Sometimes you choose a response and it just completely kills all possible future dialogue with that character, and even though I understand that RPG’s can’t be like real life where you can continue to try and talk some sense into somebody, it’s still really annoying.

In terms of gameplay and combat, I thought ME2 was tightened up nicely over the first game, although the simplification of the more hardcore RPG elements made it a bit less immersive. Also, the planet scanning mini-game was just painfully boring and time-consuming. I cannot for the life of me understand how the people in charge at Bioware could allow that mini game to not only be included, but be a necessary part of the game where you must endure literally hours of boredom just so you can upgrade your arsenal. Whoever came up with that crappy idea needs to get fired.

Overall, I enjoyed ME2, but I disagree with the general consensus that it’s better than the first game. Emotionally, I was a lot more attached to the first game, and the moral dilemmas I had to face were also more thought-provoking in the first game.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #1,421 of 6,936
Killzone 3 is an interesting mix of good, bad, and What. A bit shocking considering it's one of the AAA tent poles for Sony.

Good: Move+Sharpshooter controls provide a fantastic, if fatiguing, experience. Doubly true with aim assists and crosshairs turned off.

Bad: Suffers from MGS4/FF syndrome, way too many cutscenes. Storyline is poor even by video game standards, especially the ending. Too many poorly designed on rails sequences.

What: Multiplayer is really screwed up. Connection issues, performance issues, map design issues, weapon balance issues, if it's a problem, Killzone 3's got it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #1,422 of 6,936

Quote:
Killzone 3 - 7/10

It's pretty much the same as Killzone 2 with new weapons. 

The second level was a work of art man, why do people complain about it being "colorless" they stick to a color pallet instead of vomiting a rainbow of obscure colors allover the place.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,423 of 6,936

Quote:
Killzone 3 is an interesting mix of good, bad, and What. A bit shocking considering it's one of the AAA tent poles for Sony.

Good: Move+Sharpshooter controls provide a fantastic, if fatiguing, experience. Doubly true with aim assists and crosshairs turned off.

Bad: Suffers from MGS4/FF syndrome, way too many cutscenes. Storyline is poor even by video game standards, especially the ending. Too many poorly designed on rails sequences.

What: Multiplayer is really screwed up. Connection issues, performance issues, map design issues, weapon balance issues, if it's a problem, Killzone 3's got it.

yea, they really rushed it, it really needs more polish time I just hope to god they patch it or release a FREE DLC to give it a real ending not just " hey guys good jo" END!!!

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,424 of 6,936

Quote:
yea, they really rushed it, it really needs more polish time I just hope to god they patch it or release a FREE DLC to give it a real ending not just " hey guys good jo" END!!!

Some of the problems are a lot more fundamental than that.

MP is screwed up enough to possibly alienate the entire player base before fixes can be made. See: Gears of War 2. Doesn't help that there's a Day 1 DLC Map Pack. CoD has issues, but at least their developers are smart enough to realize that DLC Map Packs this early can really fragment a community.

Story also can't be patched. The hours of cutscenes that Guerrilla jammed in have a pretty negative effect of the flow of the game. As far as the ending goes, there are... issues... that would be difficult to work around.

Like how the ending pretty much genocides the entire Hig population and destroys the vast majority of their warmaking capability. Kinda tough to patch around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back