Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #1,006 of 6,937
Splinter Cell Conviction - 10/10

This game is just incredible.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #1,008 of 6,937

Quote:
I hope that smiley grin means that you're joking...otherwise, you just lost a lot of credibility. In my mind at least.
wink.gif

Made me chuckle. :D

As for me, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is currently filling my time. Makes me wonder if there's anything similar in quality and execution on PC. Anyone wanna chime in?

Initial review: 8.8/10.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #1,011 of 6,937
I'm one of those people who end up with too many games they don't play right away...

Blur (PS3) - 8.5/10 - It's pretty damn fun. It puts a refreshing spin on kart games by bringing them back to reality from the plush kiddy world. Racing mechanics are pretty good, better than the recent Need for Speed titles, as this game is made by Bizarre Creations. I found it strange that some reviewers said the game AI is too hard, but realistically speaking, I've found no variance from racing with decent (I'd assume relatively intelligent) players online versus and those reviewers should stick to Need for Speed games. The online play is interesting as it possesses a Modern Warfare-esque level up and upgrade system. What wasn't so great? The variety of vehicles could always be better (let's hope for some DLC) and I'm sure if they tried hard enough, they could have made a decent story line for the single player-- if you're going to pay full price for this game, plan to play with friends a lot or online most of the time. Trophies / achievements are extensive and will require a lot of grinding to get.

Mod Nation Racers (PS3) - 9/10 - This falls into the kart racer genre as mentioned with Blur, but sticks to that aforementioned plush kiddie world. This game pretty much combines Mario Kart and Little Big Planet-- that's just the easiest way to describe it. Racing mechanics aren't anything too different from what you would see in Mario Kart, but the customization is what makes this game shine and will immerse just that many more people for prolonged play as opposed to quick and short party bursts from Mario Kart. What sucks? I commend them for trying to make a story line, but it isn't very entertaining and by far the biggest fall from grace is the loading times... These are the worst loading times I have seen in a major title for this generation of games plus the last generation when the load shouldn't be that long-- I understand GTA or RDR loading entire freakin' worlds and taking a while to do so, I'm fine with that, but a minute for a 2-5 minute race? Ridiculous! I talked a colleague into buying it as he and his wife love Mario Kart and LBP, but as much as they like the game play, they were severely turned off by the loading times.

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 8.5/10 - Not too much to say about this title. If you've like the FF games from 7 - 13, you'll probably like this one. Graphics are obviously quite polished and if you want to do everything in it, you're going to spend a balls load of time doing it all. No new game+, but the game drops you back into the world after the last cut scene so you may continue on to fight some incredibly hard bosses and get all those trophies/achievements. The main storyline is fairly easy, so if you just plan to put the bare minimum into the game for the story, don't worry about grinding much at all, however, you'll find that after the main story is done, grinding is somewhat needed to beat those big baddies that make the last boss look like a quadruple amputated squirrel. The story line is cheesy, but that's expected with an FF game, the AI (on your side) is full of idiots and I hate that friggin' Hope kid and Vanille's voice so much.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #1,012 of 6,937
Trauma Team. This is one very fresh game full of innovations. It's actually one of my favorite series of all time so I give this one an easy 9/10.
Starcraft 2  Sequel to the best game ever made. Enough said. I actually played a game with one of the top players in the world by some stroke of luck with the placement matches, got completely destroyed by IdrA in 10 minutes but it was a memorable experience.
Heroes of Newerth That game makes me rage so much. Everyone's pro, it's just infuriating playing this on a team with friends. Brings the worst out of everyone I know.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Didn't play all that much but it's very solid, very fun. The music seems great but you have to rely on the Wii's terrible DAC circuit since there's no digital output. Got the wii hooked up to the line in of my Audio-GD.
Blur Played online with friends and I'm not impressed at all. It's very shallow (shallower than Mario Kart even though they advertise it as more "mature").
Blazblue PSP Tried it for a few minutes but it felt weird to me. Attacks are too flashy and counter-intuitive.
Miranda Effect 2 Is that what it's called? I forget. I finished that a bit ago on PC but threw it in there because I loved it.
Batman, Arkham Asylum In some ways it's a solid game but it never gets me excited. Overall just a safe bet but better than most licensed adaptations.

Quote:

Quote:
I hope that smiley grin means that you're joking...otherwise, you just lost a lot of credibility. In my mind at least.
wink.gif

Made me chuckle. :D

As for me, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is currently filling my time. Makes me wonder if there's anything similar in quality and execution on PC. Anyone wanna chime in?

Initial review: 8.8/10.

Is that score a reference to Jeff Gertsmann's infamous review?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

One of the few people in the industry that gave honest pause to the hype. His honesty eventually cost him his job after reviewing gamespot's advertising cash cow, Kane and Lynch.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #1,013 of 6,937

Quote:
Trauma Team. This is one very fresh game full of innovations. It's actually one of my favorite series of all time so I give this one an easy 9/10.
Starcraft 2  Sequel to the best game ever made. Enough said. I actually played a game with one of the top players in the world by some stroke of luck with the placement matches, got completely destroyed by IdrA in 10 minutes but it was a memorable experience.
Heroes of Newerth That game makes me rage so much. Everyone's pro, it's just infuriating playing this on a team with friends. Brings the worst out of everyone I know.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Didn't play all that much but it's very solid, very fun. The music seems great but you have to rely on the Wii's terrible DAC circuit since there's no digital output. Got the wii hooked up to the line in of my Audio-GD.
Blur Played online with friends and I'm not impressed at all. It's very shallow (shallower than Mario Kart even though they advertise it as more "mature").
Blazblue PSP Tried it for a few minutes but it felt weird to me. Attacks are too flashy and counter-intuitive.
Miranda Effect 2 Is that what it's called? I forget. I finished that a bit ago on PC but threw it in there because I loved it.
Batman, Arkham Asylum In some ways it's a solid game but it never gets me excited. Overall just a safe bet but better than most licensed adaptations.
Final Fantasy XIV Didn't play it quite yet but I've been selected to beta test it come June 9th. Can't wait. I can post some personal screenshots and stuff if you guys are interested. (It is a breach of NDA however, not sure how head-fi administration would like this as a lot of places have banned such information)

Is that score a reference to Jeff Gertsmann's infamous review?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

One of the few people in the industry that gave honest pause to the hype. His honesty eventually cost him his job after reviewing gamespot's advertising cash cow, Kane and Lynch.

Oh no, getting obliterated by idra must not have been fun. Since p15 you no longer will be placed in diamond after 5-0 and only by proving your worth whatever that's supposed to mean. I'd wager a guess that he had 3 - 4 bases when you got outmacro'd.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,014 of 6,937

Quote:
Oh no, getting obliterated by idra must not have been fun. Since p15 you no longer will be placed in diamond after 5-0 and only by proving your worth whatever that's supposed to mean. I'd wager a guess that he had 3 - 4 bases when you got outmacro'd.

I actually had an expansion before him. But he denied it twice before getting his own.

What happened was that I opened no gas with marine spam into a fast expansion. I repelled his first push of a marauder and two marines but when I pushed with all my rines he had just gotten a thor that would eventually one-shot my marines to nothingness. Naturally I focused the Thor but he pulls it back like the giganto badass that he is. End result, all my marines are gone and I didn't manage to kill a single thing. Rest of the match is him killing off marines straight out of my barracks while he expands two or three times for good measure.

but yeah, with P15 I went 2-3 in placement matches but I ended up in bronze. Definitely tougher to get into the higher leagues now. first time 4-1 got me in Gold, second reset 2-3 got me in silver.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,015 of 6,937

Quote:
I actually had an expansion before him. But he denied it twice before getting his own.

What happened was that I opened no gas with marine spam into a fast expansion. I repelled his first push of a marauder and two marines but when I pushed with all my rines he had just gotten a thor that would eventually one-shot my marines to nothingness. Naturally I focused the Thor but he pulls it back like the giganto badass that he is. End result, all my marines are gone and I didn't manage to kill a single thing. Rest of the match is him killing off marines straight out of my barracks while he expands two or three times for good measure.

but yeah, with P15 I went 2-3 in placement matches but I ended up in bronze. Definitely tougher to get into the higher leagues now. first time 4-1 got me in Gold, second reset 2-3 got me in silver.

Wanna add each other? Beta going offline in 2 days but I will be playing heavily upon release. Pm me your b.net email if you wish.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,016 of 6,937
Sam & Max: Devil's Playhouse (Ep. 1 & 2) (PSN/PS3) - 8/10 - At this time, you should know if you like the Sam and Max style of humor and point/click type of adventures. If you've played the previous episodic games to this, then you'll feel comfortable being tossed right back into the store and similar game play with all the familiar faces. Fun, silly and a test of your use of common sense for puzzles.

Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mystery of Little Riddle (PSN/PS3)- 7.5/10 - A fun puzzle game, best played multiplayer, but those puzzle lovers will enjoy the single player just fine. A strange difficulty curve in the game... a puzzle's difficulty doesn't really depend on the progression of the game, but I suppose with a wide variety of puzzles, you're bound to find people who excel at certain kinds rather than others, so difficulty will vary. Excellent voice acting and the narrator's classic enthusiastic English theatre voice is always a joy. I think it's currently around $25-30 for all six chapters of the game and well worth it to waste a good few hours. Note, not much replay value as the puzzles are the same every time, which I suppose makes it easier on those trophy addicts.

Worms (PSN/PS3) - 5/10 - Disregard the single player and consider it pretty well online only. The AI will do the same moves every time... Why? Because they're the best moves possible for their position and positions are the same every time. It's an interesting challenge to try to beat the single player's predisposed strategy, but will often leave you frustrated with the incredible accuracy of attacks. Online play or multiplayer is just like the classic worms game that we all came to love.

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness [Ep.1] (PSN/PS3) - 7.5/10 - If you're a fan of Penny Arcade and RPGs and haven't played this yet, then you really should. All of your favorite colourful language, characters and hilarity is of course still there and mashed together with a simplistic classic style real-time RPG battle system. The game feels a little drawn out and repetitive at times, but the uniqueness of the writing and design is enough to make up for that and make you want to continue playing.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #1,017 of 6,937
Super Mario Galaxy 2- 10/10
Best game Nintendo EVER made. By far the best game on Wii (single player, Brawl or TVC for multi).
It's that good sonn. I wont bother to explain, if you have a Wii at least rent it because words do not give this masterpiece justice. It's pure level playing goodness, blows the first Galaxy away.

And it has Yoshi!! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,019 of 6,937
Wind waker:
Graphics: 20/10
Sound: 5/10
Gameplay: 10/10

Seriously, those graphics are hot. And I've only played for 3hrs. I know today's consoles and PC's sport over 1080p, but wind waker's artistic style is simply second to none. I know its non-sequitur because I play wind waker through wii in 480p on a HDTV, but man, those jaggies don't bother me in the art style. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #1,020 of 6,937
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - 9/10

Short and simple version: A real MGS game finally makes the jump to a portable console. Looks great, controls well, and an absolute ton of content, especially for a PSP game.

Splinter Cell: Conviction - 8/10

Would be higher, but the main campaign is ridiculously short for a full priced game. The Deniable Ops missions make up for some of it, but not quite. Either way, Sam Fisher goes full on executioner and forgets quite a bit about stealth in favor of finding new and interesting ways to murder people in the dark. Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back