Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 19, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #5,746 of 6,938
  Anyone playing Nioh? Sold out everywhere here and that never happens!
Looks similar to some From Software games.

I'm currently playing Nioh. It's has similarities to From Software Souls/Bloodborne series but enough is different to make it refreshing. The combat for example is way more complex. Each weapon archetype has quick and strong attack with three different stances. That's 6 different move-sets per weapon type. Then each of those have their own skill tree to unlock, per weapon and per stance. There's also a concept of stamina which is called Ki in Nioh. One of the big difference is you can re-gain you Ki by pressing different buttons at the right time. This makes for interesting combo where you can chain attack from different stances. Gears and weapons are more like Diablo 3 tons of different stats with different quality. You can re-roll stats to fit you build. It's also not open world but rather mission base. Missions are divided in Main Story, Sub Mission and Twilight Mission with twilight being the hardest but most rewarding. Difficulty wise I think it's around maybe Dark Souls 3. Missions are not that hard just some bosses are more challenging. So far it's a good game. If anyone like Souls/Bloodborne they will definitely enjoy Nioh. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #5,747 of 6,938
Hollow Knight - 10/10
Yet another kickstarter backed game that decided to give a try as it looked good and I love 2D platformers when done right. Damn, I'm impressed. A great Metroidvania game obviously drawing inspiration from Dark Souls and A little bit of Bleach if you ask me. No hand-holding, quite challenging platforming at times, decent fight mechanics, very responsive controls, smooth gameplay, tons of interesting secrets etc. The best new game I've played in quite some time.

RE7 - 6/10
Finally got around to finish it, it was entertaining but probably due to all the hype I had too big expectations. It is a nice game but I just didn't find it particularly original and I'm a big Resident Evil fan up to the 4th game (I even enjoyed the 5th). I don't know - just felt like Outlast with a little bit of F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil thrown in the mix. 

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk - 3/10  
I am a huge Berserk fan but this is just too bland and repetitive for my taste. They could have made a proper game in honor of this great series but no, they had to make it a Musou game with boring hack-and-slash for hours after hours and zero opponent AI. The only redeeming factor here is that it's Berserk and you get to run around and slaughter literally hundreds of enemies if you feel like it, although as I said it does get boring fast.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #5,749 of 6,938
  I would be surprised if I even bother with RE7 for £5 when it drops price. RE5 and 6 drove me through the roof with anger.

Well, RE7 is nothing like RE5 and RE6. It is a way better survival horror but I just didn't care for the characters and the plot. Otherwise, it's a big step in the right direction for the franchise as obvious for the tons of positive reviews though they are hype-ish. Maybe with Playstation VR it is an even better experience, so who knows. Anyway, RE7 is definitely worth playing.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #5,750 of 6,938
I am currently playing Diablo 3. I was a huge fan of Diablo 2 and my friend gave me a copy of Diablo 3 just last Christmas. It was okay, I like the fact that it is much more fast-paced compared to D2. But, feel and story-wise, I love D2 much better.

I play D3 now because I am more of a casual player. A lot of things have occupied my time (Gym, work, family stuff). I enjoy D3 because you can still be casual and enjoy the game, well, at least if you have the gear anyway. If I were to rate this game, I would give this a 3.5/5 due to the lack of appeal in the storyline. Otherwise, it is pretty okay for me.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #5,751 of 6,938
I started Torment: Tides of Numenera which just released.  It is a "thematic successor" to Planescape: Torment, made by many of the same people.  Here are my impressions after 12 hours of play.

Noteworthy positive attributes: Art design.  Quantity of environmental interaction.  Familiar yet distinct rule/stat system that is robust and offers for a pleasant amount of flexibility in character builds.  Non-linearity.

Noteworthy negative attributes: Copies Planescape: Torment too much.  It is designed to be a replica, this isn't a good way to design games or stories.  What works for one story won't necessarily work for another (especially unique quirks like all the ones this game reuses).  More on this at the bottom of this post.

Most of the game resides in the middle there; it doesn't stand out either way.  More detailed impressions:

1.  I have only encountered bugs with AI pathfinding (including the player character and your party).
  2.  I run it at a constant 120 FPS with V-Sync. No performance issues, and motion looks great with ULMB.
  3.  I have no prior experience with Numenera, but the stat/rule system in this game is robust and allows for lots of possible character builds.
  4.  So many encounters of various nature utilize Might, Speed, or Intellect attributes, and you can choose to strain yourself more in using these, depleting your score in the chosen attribute until resting or using a restorative item for it.  Weird, not the most logical role-playing system I've encountered.
  5.  Extremely interactive world like Planescape: Torment. Can examine and interact with so many different things and people. The goal is to create a bizarre and interesting world.
  6.  The parallels to Planescape: Torment are everywhere, even in the storytelling mechanics and even in smaller things like the use of tattoo symbolism. There are actually too many parallels.  I added a list of them to the OP, which I will continue updating.
  7.  Based on the above, it seems like it just stole Planescape: Torment's plot, and that the main design goal was to make a nearly identical game in a new setting.  This is not a valid way to approach storytelling.  Whereas Planescape's goal was to effortlessly tell the best story in video game history masterfully using role-playing techniques to better it, while crafting one of the most detailed and interactive worlds in gaming.
  8.  Marvelous to look at, many artistic inspirations from Planescape: Torment are present, but it is clearly unique with its wondrous Sci-Fi layer.
  9.  It is not a sandbox RPG like Planescape: Torment, as in you can't attack anyone and everyone.
  10.  Descriptive writing is not quite as good as Planescape: Torment, but better than other modern RPGs for sure. Planescape's is more carefully written and often uses personification to its distinct advantage, but not so much this game.
  11.  Characters are not close to Planescape: Torment quality so far. As I haven't played much, I can only really speak for lesser quest NPCs and the like. Tertiary characters, characters you can have a conversation with but don't play a particularly significant role. They are all quite forgettable in this, and don't deliver memorable impressions. Unlike Planescape: Torment which has splendid writing for such characters; more fleshed out, more detailed behaviors and mannerisms, more alive, more presence. Every single character you can have a conversation with in Planescape: Torment is a noteworthy, memorable character, even very minor ones that don't even give quests, like that merchant in Sigil who sells plates, cups, cutlery, and the like. I can't say the same for Torment: Tides of Numenera, granted not many games can boast of this accomplishment (off the top of my head only Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to nearly the same degree, but I'd also say that so far Fallout 2/New Vegas and Arcanum had stronger impressions than this game in this regard, so far).
  12. Almost all quests I've done are goose chase quests, always sent to find someone somewhere.  Side quests and main quests.  Find this person, find that person.  The main quest too went from "Find this person" to "Find that person."  This game should be renamed to Where's Waldo?
  13. Based on the above two points and the excessive copying/pasting from Planescape: Torment, this game seems the product of someone casting Glass Doppelganger on Planescape: Torment; it is a relatively hollow copy, not nearly as strong as the original and you can see right through it.  On the other hand it isn't bad, it's just not a masterpiece.  It makes me yearn for 1990s Black Isle Studios, for Troika Games, for mid 2000s Obsidian Entertainment.  Will RPGs ever reach those heights again?

Ongoing list of Planescape: Torment parallels and references that I've found.

1. The player character is essentially immortal (and has other "incarnations") and is struggling to recall memories.  Recovering memories is a storytelling mechanic in both games, as is forming mental bonds with others.
  2. Emphasis on dynamic alignment system.
  3. Your character is chased by a powerful entity and the manifestations of said entity resemble Planescape: Torment's.
  4. Finding a hideout for one of your previous incarnations under similar circumstances.
  5. The following locations from Planescape: Torment are replicated: Sigil, Buried Village, Godsmen Foundry.
  6. The presence of an endless war.
  7. A species that truly embodies mind over matter, that shapes matter with thought (it is the Gith in Planescape: Torment).  Although the Gith predate Planescape: Torment and have existed in earlier D&D works.  This species even shares a story from Planescape: Torment, a story belonging to the companion Dak'kon: Dak'kon came to doubt the teachings of Zerthimon, and that doubt spread and destroyed the willpower of him and his people, causing him to lose his city.  Literally the same story is possessed by a character in Torment: Tides of Numenera, and both of them can come to you with their grief (although the one in Torment presses you with it of course, while you have to pry the info from Dak'kon).
  8. Tattoo symbolism.
  9. A character that sells you bizarre meats which you can eat and taste test (but only 3, a lot less than Planescape's rat dealer).
  10. A headless character, no related quest in this game however while Planescape: Torment's actually presents a unique and memorable encounter.
  11. A faction that collects corpses.
  12. Replacing your own eyeball.
  13. Some door/arch symbolism (Planescape: Torment uses it because Sigil, the first and biggest city/hub, is the City of Doors).
  14. Even the name of the first hub/city is similar (Sagus vs Sigil), as is the fact that both of them are visited by species from other worlds and have many such inhabitants.
  15. Protagonist being called Adahn (but this is a cheeky reference, acceptable on its own).
  16. O can be found in a tavern, in both games.

Some screenshots:

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #5,752 of 6,938
I started playing the Starter Edition of Diablo III, on Battlenet. I got to level ten and this free version goes to level nineteen I think.

However I noticed I was doing really well and never dying or barely ever lost any health. Anyway I googled it and the demo (Starter Edition) only has 'normal' difficulty setting. I think you neither get XP or Gold Pick-up bonues.

Anyway I loved it, and am going to buy it. I am not sure if I want to use the current save I have since I missed some extras maybe. I don't really want to start again though.

Good game though. The point click is a little hard really to love since WASD would have been great. Like sometimes if miss hovering over an enemy then clicking, I end up moving forward instead of firing. (I guess it's only a 2.5D-game though.)

The impression I came away from the first ten levels with though, is it's a lot of fun. It's very like the older version of Dungeon Siege.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #5,753 of 6,938
I recently finished Witcher 3 on NG+ and started playing the expansions for the first time. I'm guessing I'm currently about halfway through Hearts of Stone and when I'm finished with that I'll start Blood and Wine. Hopefully I'll finish those before Mass Effect Andromeda is released on the 23rd this month. Oh, and the rating:

Witcher 3 - 9,9/10 (0,1 is reduced for the occasionally clunky controls).

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #5,754 of 6,938
PAC MAN 
Gameplay: 9
Replay value: 10
Story: 4
Visuals: 6
Controls: 7
Soundtrack: 10
Total: 7.7/10

The game and concept was pretty unique, fairly engaging and addicting, I could play the game every day without getting very bored of it. The story was slightly lacking, I think this was the primary area that got affected by the limited budget, however I could still feel the story with a degree of emotion when really looking deep into it. The graphics were not the most modern, and did lack some shaders but the lack of anti aliasing and precise choice of colors made the game very precise. The controls were fairly easy to understand, but I feel like the developers could have put more effort into this department to have a really polished game. The soundtrack is easily very distinctive and I would praise the sound composer for some brilliant sound effects. I hope my review has given some insight for those who were interested in picking up a copy of this game but unsure whether or not it would be worth the money in the long run

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5,755 of 6,938
  I recently finished Witcher 3 on NG+ and started playing the expansions for the first time. I'm guessing I'm currently about halfway through Hearts of Stone and when I'm finished with that I'll start Blood and Wine. Hopefully I'll finish those before Mass Effect Andromeda is released on the 23rd this month. Oh, and the rating:

Witcher 3 - 9,9/10 (0,1 is reduced for the occasionally clunky controls).

I just finished Hearts of Stone. I plan on starting Blood and Wine soon. Lots of bang for your buck with these DLCs. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,757 of 6,938
Night in the Woods.

In terms of a game, it's about a 7-8/10, but as an experience is a 1000/10.

There are plenty of quirks in gameplay, in how tasks are laid out, and issues with the game not exactly letting you know what you should be doing and what the ramifications of a decision might be, but I have honestly not been so absorbed in a game, the characters, and the story in an incredibly long time. It's the kind of game I ended up binge playing all in a day, staying up until around 3am, but I just had to know what happens next.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,758 of 6,938
  I would be surprised if I even bother with RE7 for £5 when it drops price. RE5 and 6 drove me through the roof with anger.

I haven't liked an RE game since 2.

RE7 is one of the best horror games in years, and easily the best AAA horror game in damn near a decade.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #5,759 of 6,938
To me, RE7 is like a B grade horror movie translated fairly well to the video game medium.  It plays like a first person classic Resident Evil game, including the synthetic limitations like little wooden fences or short barricades of furniture permanently walling you in, the general lack of physics interaction.  Things like this and the writing prevent it from achieving greatness.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #5,760 of 6,938
Valkyria Chronicles:
Anime-styled Turn Based Strategy game, mainly using tanks and infantry to fight and progress through the main campaign.
The interesting graphics style really caught my eye, although I have played countless 'anime themed' games (e.g. Fire Emblem is a very popular one), I have never seen or tried anything with a third person perspective...

Overall an 8/10, mechanics and strategy still very detailed despite its cutesy and bright anime appearance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back