Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 5, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #4,352 of 6,937
  just finished final fantasy 7 for first time. 10/10

starting with 8. (both on pc)

also planning to get vita to play 6 and chrono trigger

FF7 and CT are my all time favourite games. I would replay FF7 again if I had the time but the game is too long. Where
FF8 is kind of a short one but also good. One scene that has forever stuck with me in FF8 was the scene when you get stranded up in space. Kind of got the heart strings going. Neither of the games are borring.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4,353 of 6,937
An interesting perspective on the latest Ubisoft titles:

http://games.on.net/2014/06/ubisoft-game-the-review/

As for what I've been playing, I've mostly been on a space sim binge. Some impressions.

Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
I've been having a blast despite the numerous instability issues. Flight model feels good, though to be honest, combat still really boils down to having the initiative (if you shoot first, you generally win). Audio is impressive, ambient and direct response effects sound good. Hyperspace (warping) looks pretty awesome, supercruise (FTL travel) could use some work as it is fairly jarring. Visuals are decent but there is noticeable slow down in areas (huge framerate drops around asteroid belts).

I probably wouldn't recommend this to be at the moment unless you are a big fan of the space sim genre. The asking price is pretty damn steep and it's still lacking in quite a few features (next to no player communication or the ability to play in groups). 

Star Citizen Arena Commander Pre Alpha
It's pre alpha so I can't exactly set my expectations all that high. Flight model is, er, a WIP. Not very good at this point (even with flight assists turned off). Controls are a mixed bag, does well with the 360 pad, not so well with my keyboard/joystick (mainly due to weird key bindings). Visuals are pretty good for a pre alpha, CryEngine is looking pretty as usual. Audio is pretty meh at this point, but like everything else I'm sure it will improve with time.

Again I would probably suggest you stay away from purchasing into the early access at the moment. Wait a few more months to see how things develop because right now, it's not worth the entry price.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4,355 of 6,937
Bought Splinter Cell Conviction and Ghost Recon Future Soldier recently. I've never played much stealth action games in the past and never had any interest. However, both of these games are awesome so far so it's better late than never. I'm only a small portion into each game, but to give a preliminary rating for each... 8.5-9 for each game. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #4,356 of 6,937
Just finished Mass Effect (I know, I'm late to the party, but hey) 
Storyline/Characters/Direction 9/10
Gameplay/action/driving/etc 8/10
Fun 9/10
Controls 10/10

Overall 9.5/10
I can't recommend this game enough. It's the most casual-fun I've had in about 5-6 years. 
Normally I prefer team-based FPS games or coop games, so for me this was the perfect middle ground between action and purist-form RPG. 

The only real negative thing I found about the game was the extra optional missions with the Mako vehicle - while they were hilariously fun at first due to the strange physics, it quickly became a chore.
There are a few negatives that are more easy to forgive like scene transitions are sometimes a bit sudden, character development is somewhat lacking and some dialogue options seem to develop a bit too quickly - but this is a voice-acted RPG, not a long running TV-series or an epic text-based RPG on the epic scale of FF7.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #4,357 of 6,937
Fun 9/10
Controls 10/10

Overall 9.5/10
I can't recommend this game enough. It's the most casual-fun I've had in about 5-6 years. 
Normally I prefer team-based FPS games or coop games, so for me this was the perfect middle ground between action and purist-form RPG. 

The only real negative thing I found about the game was the extra optional missions with the Mako vehicle - while they were hilariously fun at first due to the strange physics, it quickly became a chore.
There are a few negatives that are more easy to forgive like scene transitions are sometimes a bit sudden, character development is somewhat lacking and some dialogue options seem to develop a bit too quickly - but this is a voice-acted RPG, not a long running TV-series or an epic text-based RPG on the epic scale of FF7.

Wait til you try Mass Effect 2. I personally thought that ME2 was one of the best games I've ever played (played it through 4 times). It's a lot more polished experience compared to ME1. No mako side missions, the atmosphere on the planets and missions you visit are phenominal, the story is amazing as usual, and you will definitely care about your squad mates. 

There's criticism from some who didn't like the direction the franchise took in ME2 because it's definitely more action-y and more shooter oriented, but I personally (and the majority of others) thought ME2 took the series to a whole nother level. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #4,358 of 6,937
  Wait til you try Mass Effect 2. I personally thought that ME2 was one of the best games I've ever played (played it through 4 times). It's a lot more polished experience compared to ME1. No mako side missions, the atmosphere on the planets and missions you visit are phenominal, the story is amazing as usual, and you will definitely care about your squad mates. 

There's criticism from some who didn't like the direction the franchise took in ME2 because it's definitely more action-y and more shooter oriented, but I personally (and the majority of others) thought ME2 took the series to a whole nother level. 

Fun 9/10
Controls 10/10

Overall 9.5/10

if you don't mind it being a shooter, i think 3 is very good because all choices you made start to come together.

though your choices don't change ending which led to a lot of people disappointed. regardless its i think its story was on right track till end (depending on who you ask). bioware sure know how to make politically charged worlds.

still my favorite is first on pc because of rpg mechanics.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #4,359 of 6,937

if you don't mind it being a shooter, i think 3 is very good because all choices you made start to come together.

FPS games are my bread and butter. So no problems there, however... 
Quote:

though your choices don't change ending which led to a lot of people disappointed.

... you're a d**k... I can't believe you would spoil the ending for me. I hate you.... *block memeber*

This really makes me want to un-subscribe from this thread. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #4,360 of 6,937

... you're a d**k... I can't believe you would spoil the ending for me. I hate you.... *block memeber*

there is nothing that tells you what was the ending ...

I was merely addressing the huge controversy that occurred because of that.

I did'nt knew you were unaware of controversy. not sure how you missed that ...

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #4,361 of 6,937

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #4,362 of 6,937

This tells me about the game that none of my actions have any consequence on the ending.
I missed this because none of my friends are d***s.
Instead of telling me about the game's end/controversy they just let me experience the game for myself.

Don't try to justify your words by suggesting that I'm living under a rock - I work in the gaming industry, and my colleagues have the same respect for not spoiling games as I do.

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4,363 of 6,937
  This tells me about the game that none of my actions have any consequence on the ending.
Instead of telling me about the game's end/controversy they just let me experience the game for myself.

Don't try to justify your words by suggesting that I'm living under a rock - I work in the gaming industry, and my colleagues have the same respect for not spoiling games as I do.

I will suggest you play all three then decide if this is a spoiler by any stretch.

by the way I am a big gamer (my fist hobby). so who do you work for?

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4,364 of 6,937

ok if you are unaware of the controversy, I can tell you your choice(s) do matter in outcome.

but i said the opposite before. and they both are true.

play it to understand.

edit : oops back to back posts.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,365 of 6,937

Don't spoil it for me as well! I've got all 3 games and not started on any of them yet. Can we end this discussion or take it to PM now please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back