Rate the video games you're currently playing
Nov 25, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #1,201 of 6,977

Quote:
Playing Black Ops.  Really dumb AI, but they always get me because everything is so chaotic, and it's hard to spot enemies, and harder to shoot enemies.  I only tried the Modern Warfare 2 demo but the ironsight aim feels more accurate, I think?  Which is strange, because if it's cloak and dagger, you think everything would feel less like a set-piece battle.  But the worst part of the game is how it encourages you to shoot enemies who surrendered.  Which is illegal under the Geneva Conventions, but is disgusting no matter how you look at it.  I'm surprised more people don't have a problem with this.  I tried to e-mail Treyarch about it, but there is no contact information on their site.  Convenient.  I'm trading it in as soon as I beat the single-player.  6/10 for me.

It's a game, who cares? In Modern Warfare 2 there was a mission where you went undercover as a terrorist and literally walked through the airport massacring civilians. There are movies with much more graphic and content that is illegal, and they are much more realistic than a game.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #1,202 of 6,977

Quote:
Playing Black Ops.  Really dumb AI, but they always get me because everything is so chaotic, and it's hard to spot enemies, and harder to shoot enemies.  I only tried the Modern Warfare 2 demo but the ironsight aim feels more accurate, I think?  Which is strange, because if it's cloak and dagger, you think everything would feel less like a set-piece battle.  But the worst part of the game is how it encourages you to shoot enemies who surrendered.  Which is illegal under the Geneva Conventions, but is disgusting no matter how you look at it.  I'm surprised more people don't have a problem with this.  I tried to e-mail Treyarch about it, but there is no contact information on their site.  Convenient.  I'm trading it in as soon as I beat the single-player.  6/10 for me.

Dude, you are playing as a black ops! They supposedly do the DIRTY WORK for governements, away from the eyes of public and limitations of treaties. Also movies contain much more violent and morally wrong things than this, and making you feel disgusted (or anything really, perhaps even joy if there is a sick creep inside you) is exactly the point.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,203 of 6,977
Dead Rising 2 - I haven't played video games in years but when I heard about this game I ran out to the store and got it for my pc. If you like Zombies and GTA3 style mission heavy beat em ups you will LOVE this one. 10/10

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,204 of 6,977
F1 2010

Provides more realism over F1 championship edition, but still plenty of room for improvement. I really wish the cars were more vunerable to crash damage. Apart from that 8.5/10

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,205 of 6,977
I nearly forgot Dirt 2.

totally adictive game. it's taken a back seat for now to F1 2010, but not for long. One of the best games i've played in a while.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #1,206 of 6,977

Quote:
Quote:

Dude, you are playing as a black ops! They supposedly do the DIRTY WORK for governements, away from the eyes of public and limitations of treaties. Also movies contain much more violent and morally wrong things than this, and making you feel disgusted (or anything really, perhaps even joy if there is a sick creep inside you) is exactly the point.

If you masquerade as a terrorist, that's different; if it is a game where you are a bad guy, like GTA, I could go along with that as well.  If you just watching, that's different too.  But in a game where you are supposed to be a "hero" (which is used several times in the beginning of that mission,) it's a different context.  I can just imagine a little kid playing this, and thinking that's okay; they should realize the gravity of what they are telling the audience.  But I suppose it's a valid point about the nature of black ops; but the way it is so trivially handled is nonetheless, disconcerting.  I mean, if what you say is so true, what is the big deal about ethnic cleansing, and village massacres?  That's DIRTY WORK, does it make it okay?  Would you think that would be okay in a game?  A very thin line.  Black Ops it may be, but the way it's presented is immature.  Dude.

And Matthew, how old are you?  If I posted something so long, it should be obvious who cares.  Me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,207 of 6,977

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

If you masquerade as a terrorist, that's different; if it is a game where you are a bad guy, like GTA, I could go along with that as well.  If you just watching, that's different too.  But in a game where you are supposed to be a "hero" (which is used several times in the beginning of that mission,) it's a different context.  I can just imagine a little kid playing this, and thinking that's okay; they should realize the gravity of what they are telling the audience.  But I suppose it's a valid point about the nature of black ops; but the way it is so trivially handled is nonetheless, disconcerting.  I mean, if what you say is so true, what is the big deal about ethnic cleansing, and village massacres?  That's DIRTY WORK, does it make it okay?  Would you think that would be okay in a game?  A very thin line.  Black Ops it may be, but the way it's presented is immature.  Dude.

And Matthew, how old are you?  If I posted something so long, it should be obvious who cares.  Me.
biggrin.gif

Isn't Black Ops 18+?

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #1,208 of 6,977

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Figure of speech mate, I thought you would have realized.. my mistake. It's a parents duty to teach their kids right from wrong. If a parent can't do this then they shouldn't be having kids. It's called a "game" for a reason.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #1,209 of 6,977

Quote:
Figure of speech mate, I thought you would have realized.. my mistake. It's a parents duty to teach their kids right from wrong. If a parent can't do this then they shouldn't be having kids. It's called a "game" for a reason.

Just a play on words, my friend.  I understand that it's a game, and action is the element that brings in the cash.  But when I was a kid, I'd love to play something like this, and I'm sure kids today are no different.  Anyone who thinks there aren't any kids playing this have got to be kidding.  Psycho is called a "movie" for a reason, but man, that made an impression on me!  I just worry about the impression this game may have on others.  Thank god I only had those Contra guys to teach me right from wrong.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #1,210 of 6,977

Quote:
Quote:

Just a play on words, my friend.  I understand that it's a game, and action is the element that brings in the cash.  But when I was a kid, I'd love to play something like this, and I'm sure kids today are no different.  Anyone who thinks there aren't any kids playing this have got to be kidding.  Psycho is called a "movie" for a reason, but man, that made an impression on me!  I just worry about the impression this game may have on others.  Thank god I only had those Contra guys to teach me right from wrong.

I played violent games and watched violent movies since I was extremely young and I was never impacted negatively growing up as a result. I was always taught right from wrong by my parents, and as such there has never been an issue. IMO it's the parents responsibility to place such restrictions on what their kids play/watch (if they see fit), not the gaming companies responsibility.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,211 of 6,977
League of Legends : 9.5/10

Oh man. It's hard to believe that this game is free. I only just started this week, but it is sucking up my life even more than Starcraft II, at this point. So much pure fun to be had in this game. And the community isn't nearly as full of jerks as most DotA style games.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #1,212 of 6,977
Fallout 3 - 8/10 I'm way behind on this but still enjoying it.
Pac Mac Championship Edition DX - 8/10 Eating 50 ghosts in a row is SO satisfying!
Super Meat Boy 9/10 - I think I've reached the point where I can't really beat any more levels. Just too hard.

I'm also pumped for the new Trials HD content coming out Wednesday.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #1,213 of 6,977
Bioshock 2 all over again. This is because I hated Fallout: New Vegas and immediately stopped playing after beating it.  I love part 3 though. I just needed something else to play.

Bioshock 2 seemed a lot easier on hard the second time around.

Sadly, I've had Mass Effect 2 sitting on my shelf since it was released. I really need to just force myself to play it already..

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #1,214 of 6,977

Quote:
League of Legends : 9.5/10

Oh man. It's hard to believe that this game is free. I only just started this week, but it is sucking up my life even more than Starcraft II, at this point. So much pure fun to be had in this game. And the community isn't nearly as full of jerks as most DotA style games.

Well, that changes when you get to the higher levels or ranked play. Sadly there are tons of depressing people there. Still, as long as you play the game with friends it can be a lot of fun indeed.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #1,215 of 6,977
Quote:
Bioshock 2 all over again. This is because I hated Fallout: New Vegas and immediately stopped playing after beating it.  I love part 3 though. I just needed something else to play.

Bioshock 2 seemed a lot easier on hard the second time around.

Sadly, I've had Mass Effect 2 sitting on my shelf since it was released. I really need to just force myself to play it already..

I'm also in the middle of Bioshock 2. My stupid X360 keeps reverting back to its manufacturing date and screwing up my saves, so now I have to play a particular level all over again. Whenever that happens, I let the game sit a while so when I replay it up to the point where my save got screwed, up it'll feel kind of fresh instead of a chore of repeating what I just did.

I'm still not finished with ME2, and while it's fun, it feels a bit formulaic by now with the missions and quests. I want these RPG developers to really surprise me, like what if I'm done with a mission and I get back on the Normandy just to realize it's been taken over by a pirate group and the people I care about on the ship are now held captive? What if while sleeping in my captain's quarters, suddenly there's an explosion in one of the corridors and the ship is in alert mode with the alarms going off, people panicking, and you have to find out what's going on? What if a deadly unknown alien creature who could shapeshift got onboard, and now it's turned Normandy into its hunting ground? See, unexpected things like that happening among the main mission can be totally expected and a lot of fun, especially if they are tied into the main story, such as these unexpected events leading to a cold trail that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to chase down.

I actually interviewed for a job with Bioware as a writer years ago, but the project was for what is now known as Dragon Age, and I didn't feel like working on a fantasy project--I wanted to do a sci-fi game. If it had been for Mass Effect, I'd have totally gunned for that job hardcore. In the end I realized writing branching dialogues isn't nearly as fun as playing them as a gamer, or simply writing fiction. There's a lot to consider and juggle, because you have to make sure the experience is entertaining and satisfying no matter which branch the player takes, and that often can lead to overly contrived writing, which we're all familiar with--it's one of the side-effects of creating a game that's actually playable, as opposed to just satisfying the writer's itch to tell a good story.

BTW, this is what my female Shepard looks like:

I always try to make customizable female characters as attractive as possible. If a game's character customization system fails to allow me to create a hot female character that's genuinely attractive, then that system is a failure IMO.

I finished Alan Wake recently and the gameplay mechanics was fun, as well as the spooky atmosphere, but the writing was pretty cheesy and pretentious. If that story was made into a film, movie critics would tear it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back