Rate the video games you're currently playing
Nov 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #751 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Blood Dragon seemed a bit weak and doesn't look that great, you should check out the Juggernaut set.. seems much better to me at least for tanking, looks awesome too.
wink.gif

edit, nevermind this is probably the one you are talking about from the elf area.

Sten + Juggernaut set + Sten's sword = stomach impaling tank awesomeness. That armor is pretty much made for Sten. Big and intimidating.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #752 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Borderlands 8/10

lvl0-23 I was addicted, then it got repetative and difficult very fast (Maybe I just have crappy guns)

Have you played it online or offline?
Im looking for new (online) shooter that isnt much competition based. Also, the fact that its seems to be in a Mad Max/Fallout like Post-Apocalyptic world is a huge plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #753 of 6,937
FF7:Crisis Core(2008-PSP)-8.5/10
Just a great game, took me about 25 hours, the battle system can get repetitive, but what do you expect...
The ending was amazing, not gunna spoil anything, BUT it helps lead into FF7 pretty damn well. I started doing some of the optional missions at the end of game(to train for the last boss) and added a few hours to my total play time.
If you have a PSP and don't have it, get it...it's only $20.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #754 of 6,937
The Witcher is as good an RPG as I have ever played. It is a pain to get updated and the Ultimate patch going but man what a great game. Looks and sounds amazing. Funny bits in the game too. the Hairy Bear bar? References to Monty Python's Lumberjack bit, etc. fun stuff and brutally fun fighting. Serious, nasty violence so be warned.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #755 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you played it online or offline?
Im looking for new (online) shooter that isnt much competition based. Also, the fact that its seems to be in a Mad Max/Fallout like Post-Apocalyptic world is a huge plus
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoy it a lot. I always host a lan game and team up with my brother.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #756 of 6,937
I have been playing a game called "Dragon Age." I'm afraid I don't care for it and will stop where I am, a little over halfway through.

The lore is constantly contradicting itself, the writing moves me only to embarrassed laughter, and the combat system is no more tactical than a bad MMO.

There is far too much repetitive combat in this game. Fighting through the Dwarven tunnels later in the game is a tedious chore. The exact same encounters happen over and over again, and because of the health-regeneration system, that means there's no challenge at all: you just do precisely as you did last time, in the same order, and you'll have essentially the same outcome. Would it have been so hard to mix things up a bit more?

The swamp at the start of the game mixes things up a bit, but I'm afraid that they just don't keep it up as the game goes on - and it's debatable whether there was enough in the swamp anyway.
The bear and werewolf-infested forest was about the only place that got it right in that regard. Lots of neat stuff there. Whoever designed that area was clearly a cut above the other map/level designers.

On the plus side, it's nice to see that Bioware will still try to make a "traditional" RPG -- but I've played so many in the past 20 years, and so many of them were so much better, that I'm afraid I just can't stay excited about this one.

I think that EA probably had something to do with a lot of the problems in the game. Anyway, if Bioware keeps at it, maybe they can recapture some of the old magic - but at this point it would be silly to think that anybody would put millions of dollars at stake on a game that wasn't relatively accessible, simple and straightforward.

I've been playing on Nightmare difficulty mode and not party-wiped a single time. Maybe once in every dozen fights, one of my party members will fall. I've been playing a Mage and a Rogue simultaneously; the former good, the later "evil." Mage is definitely unbalanced.

I'd suggest folks who like Dragon Age to give Baldur's Gate II, Arcanum, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, the Wizardry series, Witcher, Risen and Vampire: Bloodlines a try. Even Morrowind - when coupled with a few dozen mods - is a little more satisfying than Dragon Age has been for me.

I'm not trying to start an argument. Everybody's got different tastes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just sharing my views, like everyone else here.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #758 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Left 4 Dead 2: 8/10

Gameplay is solid, and the extra guns were awesome, but "scavenger hunt" stuff is a bit annoying, and seems almost all the levels have a "press this to proceed and run here to press that to not die" sequence as well. Fun, and mindless, but a bit more mindless than the first, and that to me sort of hurt it.

I think the gauntlets are more interesting than the "press this and wait for the horde to stop" moments in L4D1 - plus random tanks that appear if you take too long are exciting!

Sitting still and waiting for the horde to stop doesn't require much processing, everyone just takes an arc and shoots till the zombies are dead. The gauntlets require lots of decisions and teamwork to stick together as you move - try them on advanced or expert.

I'd love to see someone finish the Parish finale on expert with all 4 survivors without cursing once.

Oh, and: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #759 of 6,937
Don't like Dragon Age? Try The Witcher. I am enjoying it. For instance, I just got past a Golem by buying a lightning rod from a dwarf smith, installed it on the Golem, paid a Druid to make a lightning storm, that caused lightning to strike the golem to bring it to life so that I could kill it by luring it to the center of three lightning charged posts which zapped it. Then I recovered items from the body to unlock a tower which is now surrounded by swamp. Before, it was accessible. Now I have to figure out why the swamp surrounded it and how to get back at it. Nice game.

Combat is great and timing based. You select a target and have 3 attack types, strong, fast and group. Two sword types, steel for humans and silver for monsters. As you attack, the sword icon will flame when you should hit the mouse button again to string into the next level attack. There are 5 levels of attack, each with 4 variables. So you can eventually get some pretty fancy looking swordplay going. Mix in the magic attack, similar to the swordplay upgrade path, potion making, weapon, armor upgrading, you can be your own one stop shop.

Oh and you can sometimes pick up ladies for a bit of hot coffee. Gives the game some flavor. Add selectable bad language and funny humor, you get a really deep, interesting game.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #761 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been playing a game called "Dragon Age." I'm afraid I don't care for it and will stop where I am, a little over halfway through.

The lore is constantly contradicting itself, the writing moves me only to embarrassed laughter...

How is the lore contradicting itself? In my eyes it has been really solid so far and dialog has been really well written. I agree that constant battling is EXTREMELY tiresome, and biggest downfall of the game. Though if you have PC version you can also Zoom out to bird perspective and play it like Baldurs Gate II. Though if you are on console, you are stuck in MMORPG style and also the battles are dumbed down in difficulty.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #762 of 6,937
I bought dragon age and after an hour I put it down and have since then got back into my Fallout 3 game.

I disliked Baldur's Gate (sorry) and this feels like the same, but in 3D, and worse.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #763 of 6,937
Hi!

The first Baldur's Gate isn't so hot. Did you try BGII with the expansion pack?

And just to be clear, I'm talking about the PC games, not about the Gauntlet-like Baldur's Gate console spin-off series
smily_headphones1.gif

BG2 wasn't my favorite of the games I'd listed, though. If you already like Fallout3, then maybe give the first two a try too? I think that the first two are balanced a little better in terms of skills/stats/weapons, and you'll find the plot, writing and dialogue choices more developed as well. If you're more of an action-RPG fan though, then Vampire:Bloodlines (with the latest community patch, don't just use the official ones) should be pretty fun for you.

Peace
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #764 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Witcher combat system sucks too.

That part, I liked. Hated the long load times and cut-scenes. Good in-game cutscene boobage tho....

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #765 of 6,937
Modern Warfare 2: 7.5/10 - Way to silly mainstream and consol port for dumb people (sorry but thats a fact - there are way more money in "dumping" things down a little) but has so many good elements I at least didn't regret buying it via steam. Everyone I know is playing it and having fun... My friends kinda invented the "witch" after a few days and told me when I bought it after a week - its a guilty pleasure: Penny Arcade - Witchblades

Ohh and having fun with loads of cheap games on with the big Steam sellout week going on what I would recommend: Osmosis, Plants VS Zombies, Defcon, Madballs(its okay a little)... And the big catches the new batman game & Mirror's edge!

BTW almost went thought the batman game before the old PC went down a few weeks ago and I'd rate that 9/10 and highly recommend atleast 10 hours of trying it - really can't be much better or cooler except if they lost them stupied repetitative boss fights with the Scarecrow (they are nice but way too long combinations have to be made in some scenes before checkpoints) and least but worst the steamroller "venom" beasts which takes way too long to kill and are really boring and at times hard to avoid due to bad handling with the little bit poor game camera and movement system and its even worse PC keyboard and mice port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back