Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #5,672 of 6,977
I took twenty hours to play Dishonoured. I still find it hard to decide what rating to give it. I think maybe 8.7/10.

It's odd because while I was coming to the last close I was thinking, it was a good 9/10 game. The story wrapped up very well, and moved at a fast pace, which was a surprise. ..I was still however annoyed at having to switch out from a weapon to use Dark Vision.

It was constantly through the whole game I was using dark-vision, to find objects. Like every minute or so. Meaning I'd be switching backwards and forwards all the time. Since I could initiate dark-vision, and hold a weapon. It made sense I should be able to switch on (and off) dark-vision without having to swap out a weapon. Powers should have been assigned elsewhere is a what I think.

The story had a bit of a glaring mistake. However I can't really describe it without a spoilers. It was done by a side quest though. Description in spoiler below.

Basically when you went to the Lord Regent's place, you had an optional mission to broadcast his confession. That of organising the plague and having the empress killed. Yet when you got back, after being drugged, everyone thought Corvo was guilty.

Good game. Very intriguing, and quite deep feeling. Nice solid engine.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #5,673 of 6,977
  I took twenty hours to play Dishonoured. I still find it hard to decide what rating to give it. I think maybe 8.7/10.

It's odd because while I was coming to the last close I was thinking, it was a good 9/10 game. The story wrapped up very well, and moved at a fast pace, which was a surprise. ..I was still however annoyed at having to switch out from a weapon to use Dark Vision.

It was constantly through the whole game I was using dark-vision, to find objects. Like every minute or so. Meaning I'd be switching backwards and forwards all the time. Since I could initiate dark-vision, and hold a weapon. It made sense I should be able to switch on (and off) dark-vision without having to swap out a weapon. Powers should have been assigned elsewhere is a what I think.

The story had a bit of a glaring mistake. However I can't really describe it without a spoilers. It was done by a side quest though. Description in spoiler below.

Basically when you went to the Lord Regent's place, you had an optional mission to broadcast his confession. That of organising the plague and having the empress killed. Yet when you got back, after being drugged, everyone thought Corvo was guilty.

Good game. Very intriguing, and quite deep feeling. Nice solid engine.

My memory of its plot is somewhat foggy, let me respond in spoiler tags.

That mission with the Lord Regent is pretty far in the game right?  I don't remember anyone finding Corvo guilty of anything after that mission.  Let's say you broadcast that awfully convenient confession, after that I remember Corvo being betrayed and I would assume Havelock and Pendleton and Martin (if alive) took credit for exposing him.    
Meanwhile Corvo is disposed of in the Flooded District; the only character encounters I remember for Corvo at this point are with the assassins, then with characters back at the Hounds Pit Pub, followed by the last mission.  I'm probably forgetting some details here.

I just noticed a funny coincidence.  Dishonored and XCOM: Enemy Unknown both came out in 2012, and their sequels both came out this year.  Plus Dishonored, XCOM: EU, and XCOM 2 all use Unreal Engine 3.  I just played Dishonored 2 and XCOM 2 back to back.  Currently in progress with XCOM 2, it seems glitcher than Enemy Unknown but otherwise better in every way, albeit much different too (it's not even a war in XCOM 2).  Both XCOM games, and the first Dishonored, are some of the least flawed games I've ever played.  There is hardly anything wrong with any of them.  

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,674 of 6,977
@Rhamnetin

Again spoilers below, about the plot of Dishonoured.

I think in the story after that broadcast and he returned. They drugged him and dumped him. However all the bad guys were sort of all congratulating themselves about how they set up Corvo for the murder. It was never publically acknowledged like wanted posters I think. Just all the bad guys were saying it, and how they had the evidence to prove it was Corvo.

I did like the game though. In the end it all felt very tied together. Meaning the plot, the solid engine, the look of the game, the characters, and really anything I can think of about it.
It was sad tale though.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #5,675 of 6,977
Your playthrough was high chaos I assume?  Both Dishonoreds have a cynical, more negative ending with high chaos but the opposite with low chaos.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #5,676 of 6,977
  Your playthrough was high chaos I assume?  Both Dishonoreds have a cynical, more negative ending with high chaos but the opposite with low chaos.

Yeah maybe. I did have high chaos scores. I didn't kill bonus objective bad folk, coz in UK we don't have death penalty. Funny maybe, but I play games by laws we have here. Totally different I guess if Iived in country with death penalty.

I bought a package of Dishonoured though and I have the DLCs, two of which look interesting. Folk say they are as good as or better than main game, when I googled if they are any good.

I am chuffed I bought it, since it means I will buy Dishonoured 2, when a good sale price comes along. With D2 being so well reviewed I mean, it's something to look forward to.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #5,677 of 6,977
Definitely play Dishonored's story DLC (The Knife of Dunwall and then Brigmore Witches, in that order) before playing the second game.  Dishonored 2 relies on both of them and the main game, it actually skimps on character development and relies on the first one and those DLCs in order to understand any of its characters.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #5,678 of 6,977
Currently playing:

BF1 - 10/10
Titanfall 2 - 8/10
Dark Souls 3 - 10/10
Drive Club - 7/10
Binding of Isaac - 10/10 ( Been playing it for 2 years now on and off)
Spelunky - 10/10 (Been playing it for 2 years now on and off)

BF1 is amazing, seriously just amazing.

Titanfall is really good but at the same time just OK for me, a little to spastic and fast paced.

Dark Souls 3 is fantastic, my only other experience with a souls game is Bloodborne and I personally prefer DS3 due to having a shield.

Drive Club is a fun arcade racer, handling on some cars can be straight up idiotic at times unfortunately which makes it lose a few points.

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky are essentially the pinnacles of Indie games today. They keep me coming back for more and are infinitely replayable. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #5,679 of 6,977
  Definitely play Dishonored's story DLC (The Knife of Dunwall and then Brigmore Witches, in that order) before playing the second game.  Dishonored 2 relies on both of them and the main game, it actually skimps on character development and relies on the first one and those DLCs in order to understand any of its characters.

OK thank you for heads up. You agree with what I read online that the DLC's are good. I bought Dishonoured cheap enough so getting the DLCs with it, was just a bonus.  

RE: Dark Souls
@catspaw
I think I am going to get Dark Souls 2 when it's cheap enough too, (And DS3 one day). However I am still stuck on DS1 in the same place. I went back again recently and tried again. DS1 on PC though is a mess.

I am stuck at getting passed the armoured boar. It's not just the boar which is tough, it's getting there. There are three rats that nearly always mess me up.

Also some of the enemies near the rats are a pain. If I don't make a strike, they don't, so we end up circling forever. Until I get bored and strike trying to get another strike before they recover the shield hit. Then I usually get hurt, because I am open and they strike. (Lots of Flask for health.) I honestly don't know how people put up with DS1 on PC.

Another issue is movement. Say I strike, and hit a shield, then I bounce off. I will often be facing in a different direction, or not straight on to the enemy any more. Meaning when I try to strike again I miss. Having to correct position on PC with keyboard is tough. You have only four directions. Micro managing position (with only four directions to go,) when your bouncing off shields is too hard. I find my self striking at 90' to where I should be striking, with my flank open to attack.

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #5,680 of 6,977
OK thank you for heads up. You agree with what I read online that the DLC's are good. I bought Dishonoured cheap enough so getting the DLCs with it, was just a bonus.  

[rule]
RE: Dark Souls
@catspaw

I think I am going to get Dark Souls 2 when it's cheap enough too, (And DS3 one day). However I am still stuck on DS1 in the same place. I went back again recently and tried again. DS1 on PC though is a mess.

I am stuck at getting passed the armoured boar. It's not just the boar which is tough, it's getting there. There are three rats that nearly always mess me up.

Also some of the enemies near the rats are a pain. If I don't make a strike, they don't, so we end up circling forever. Until I get bored and strike trying to get another strike before they recover the shield hit. Then I usually get hurt, because I am open and they strike. (Lots of Flask for health.) I honestly don't know how people put up with DS1 on PC.

Another issue is movement. Say I strike, and hit a shield, then I bounce off. I will often be facing in a different direction, or not straight on to the enemy any more. Meaning when I try to strike again I miss. Having to correct position on PC with keyboard is tough. You have only four directions. Micro managing position (with only four directions to go,) when your bouncing off shields is too hard. I find my self striking at 90' to where I should be striking, with my flank open to attack.

Cheers. :beerchug:    

There is a mod that helps with Dark souls, I think its called dsfix. I have it and allows 60fps, can be a big buggy but definitly recommend. Lure the rats out one at a time if you can and they become easier to deal with. For the pig just run to the right and up the stairs. A few enemies but just take it slow. You can come back to the pig once you make it to the church and light bonfire. Also a shortcut to firelink in the church. Also pigs weak spot is its big juicy rump :wink: hope it helps!

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #5,681 of 6,977
I have been over this area loads of times. I will look for a route to a new bonfire.

Yeah, I applied dsfix and dsmfix (mouse fix). Still plays like a hessian sack of potatoes. Shame really because the game is deeply immersive.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #5,683 of 6,977

I have been over this area loads of times. I will look for a route to a new bonfire.

Yeah, I applied dsfix and dsmfix (mouse fix). Still plays like a hessian sack of potatoes. Shame really because the game is deeply immersive.

Did you get to the church? Id say I could come give you hand but currently no internet. (On phone)

Not made it to a church.

When you get to the boar. There is an area up to the right, but there is no bonfire up there. I have cleared that area out before, but then gone back down to face boar and died obviously. I'll have another go and see if there is another place to look at.

I had a bad feeling you have to kill the boar to get to the next bonfire. Maybe not though.

I just had another go. Honestly best leave it without any more advice please. I'd be better off uninstalling.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #5,684 of 6,977
Not made it to a church.

When you get to the boar. There is an area up to the right, but there is no bonfire up there. I have cleared that area out before, but then gone back down to face boar and died obviously. I'll have another go and see if there is another place to look at.

I had a bad feeling you have to kill the boar to get to the next bonfire. Maybe not though.

I just had another go. Honestly best leave it without any more advice please. I'd be better off uninstalling.

Oh ok I see now. Dont have to kill boar. Behind boar to the right is a passage that goes down. Go up to the right, drop down into it and run in. Beware ambush.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #5,685 of 6,977
I just got done playing Shadow Warrior 2. I enjoyed the first Shadow Warrior in the rebooted series more but I think that might have been because it was so refreshing when I played it the first time. Flying Wild Hog went in the perfect direction with their take on Shadow Warrior. It was what Duke Nukem Forever should have been in terms of gameplay and fun factor only it took probably 1/8 of the time and budget Duke Nukem Forever probably had over the lifetime of it's development. I'd give Shadow Warrior 2 4/5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back