Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jan 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #4,066 of 6,977

Can't rate a game down if your machine isn't up to the task.
Not sure what you mean with 'bad difficulty settings' - it's super easy to change the difficulty. Care to elaborate?

It sounds like he is playing on a console. I had a lot of frame rate issues on my PS3. I think its perfectly fair because it is on the developers shoulders to make sure the game is optimized for consoles. I have not played much of the game but difficulty wise it feels super unbalanced. The game encourages you to explore but if you take one wrong step your fighting crap 80X more powerful than you. You also cannot skip the side missions as you do not level up properly if you do. Not to bash the game it was just my experience. Imo side missions should be optional not mandatory. I had similar problems with borderlands 2 as you could not progress through the end of the game unless you did a crap load of side quests, most of them being annoying fetch quests. I had to pretty much use some cheap glitch to beat the last boss .

Sounds NOTHING like skyrim on PC. Side quests are optional -  total free roaming and ability to change the difficulty at any point in the game. But yeah, even on PC the GFX weren't anywhere near as well optimised as Fallout 3 or New Vegas. 
Borderlands is the same though on PC - if you don't complete every quest you get punished very quickly. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #4,068 of 6,977
  Sounds NOTHING like skyrim on PC. Side quests are optional -  total free roaming and ability to change the difficulty at any point in the game. But yeah, even on PC the GFX weren't anywhere near as well optimised as Fallout 3 or New Vegas. 
Borderlands is the same though on PC - if you don't complete every quest you get punished very quickly. 

Hmm I've thought of getting Borderlands... I don't mind doing side quests... I usually wind up doing them anyways... derpin around 
and what not I usually stumble upon a ton of em

How open is Border lands though 

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #4,069 of 6,977

Hmm I've thought of getting Borderlands... I don't mind doing side quests... I usually wind up doing them anyways... derpin around 
and what not I usually stumble upon a ton of em

How open is Border lands though 

Despite the 'quest-giver' game system, it's comparatively linear. 
In Skyrim, you can do almost any quest in the game at any point even if you're quite a low level if you've got exactly the necessary skills, or super high sneak level for example.
In Borderlands the mission will tell you what difficulty it is - and it's pretty accurate. Anything 'hard' or above is a suicide mission or a 'zurg' mission (with friends) because the enemy takes so little damage from your weapons. 
Also (don't know about BL2, I only have the first one) you open up new world locations as you progress because the next part of the map is too high level - as you progress and go back to an earlier map location, you can feel your level progress because the enemies in the older locations go down like flies, which is also can be somewhat satisfying. And I always felt forced to do all side-quests, otherwise you quickly get a back log of level grinding missions that can get boring... the usual stuff like "kill these mutant dog monsters that are killing my alien chickens" or whatever. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #4,070 of 6,977
  Despite the 'quest-giver' game system, it's comparatively linear. 
In Skyrim, you can do almost any quest in the game at any point even if you're quite a low level if you've got exactly the necessary skills, or super high sneak level for example.
In Borderlands the mission will tell you what difficulty it is - and it's pretty accurate. Anything 'hard' or above is a suicide mission or a 'zurg' mission (with friends) because the enemy takes so little damage from your weapons. 
Also (don't know about BL2, I only have the first one) you open up new world locations as you progress because the next part of the map is too high level - as you progress and go back to an earlier map location, you can feel your level progress because the enemies in the older locations go down like flies, which is also can be somewhat satisfying. And I always felt forced to do all side-quests, otherwise you quickly get a back log of level grinding missions that can get boring... the usual stuff like "kill these mutant dog monsters that are killing my alien chickens" or whatever. 

Borderlands 2 is much of the same, just with a much better told story and writing. I actually felt that BL2 was even worse at making do sidequests, but that could be that I have not played the first one for a long time. My real big complaint about the difficulty systems is that not only is it too hard when you do not do sidequests, but if you do continuously do them the game becomes too easy. Its got the most annoying difficulty scaling I have seen in any game.

Also the world is pretty open, but the order in which you receive quests is not. I do find both worlds pretty bland and boring to travel across. Granted I find most worlds bland in sandbox games.

As for the difficulty scaling in skyrim, the problems I were having were probably because I did not play enough. I played about 5 hours and felt like I was getting no where and was continuously getting lost along fighting people twice as powerful as me. So I quit, I just do not have that much patience with open world games. If they do not pull me in and interest me quickly enough I usually drop them. One of the main problems is that I still can not stand the combat system. Just because its an open world game does not mean that you should have a crappy combat system. Infamous 1 and 2 were decently open world and thoroughly enjoyed those games, and they had an amazing combat system.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #4,071 of 6,977
 Just because its an open world game does not mean that you should have a crappy combat system. Infamous 1 and 2 were decently open world and thoroughly enjoyed those games, and they had an amazing combat system.

Curious what you didn't like about the combat system - Skyrim is one of my favourite games of all time. 
I remember at first it wasn't as intuitive as the previous, but fully learning it was more rewarding than the previous Elder Scrolls.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #4,072 of 6,977
  Curious what you didn't like about the combat system - Skyrim is one of my favourite games of all time. 
I remember at first it wasn't as intuitive as the previous, but fully learning it was more rewarding than the previous Elder Scrolls.

Watching Btoom the anime atm... it's making me want to play Avatar Star, which is Anime x TF2... gatta love rocket jumpin from place to place 

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,074 of 6,977
Just played a few hours of Metal Gear Rising (PC). The game is just ridiculous, and pretty damn entertaining to boot. Controls obviously seem more suited to the gamepad than kb/m. Graphics options are somewhat limited, and I can't up the resolution past 1080p...

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4,075 of 6,977

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-3U1d5Jdw&t=19m0s

... not quiete what I had in mind, but Parry is cool! Dust has A LOT of that as well 

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #4,076 of 6,977
Just played a few hours of Metal Gear Rising (PC). The game is just ridiculous, and pretty damn entertaining to boot. Controls obviously seem more suited to the gamepad than kb/m. Graphics options are somewhat limited, and I can't up the resolution past 1080p...
The game was a huge "let-down" to the metal gear series.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4,078 of 6,977

Watching Btoom the anime atm... it's making me want to play Avatar Star, which is Anime x TF2... gatta love rocket jumpin from place to place 

Rocket jumping = Quake series (1, 2 & 3-Arena). No other game does rocket jumping the same way. 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #4,079 of 6,977
I'm playing through Left 4 Dead 2 since it was free during the Steam Christmas Day giveaway. It's okay so far. It's much more fun to play with people online than the campaign in offline mode. I was playing through the offline mode on the bus and the number of save points is too little. I died on the first level in the hotel and I had to start the whole freaking level again. Also it gets annoying when a random swarm of 20 zombies comes running around the corner, and even more so when that happens in a previously-cleared/visited area. In what post-apocalyptic world do zombies run?

Katana for the win.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,080 of 6,977
  Can't rate a game down if your machine isn't up to the task.
Not sure what you mean with 'bad difficulty settings' - it's super easy to change the difficulty. Care to elaborate?

Yeah I'm playing on xbox 360, and I'm getting framerate drops from time to time. 

By bad difficulty, I mean that I don't like that everything levels as you level, and just gets harder to kill. On very hard and legendary difficulty, it literally takes a draugr overlord one hit to kill me, yet around 50 for me to kill him. And there's about 10 draugr overlords in every dungeon now. And I'm using a big glass weapon and glass armor, so I shouldn't be getting wrecked so easily. I have to summon two dremora lords to kill one draugr, and just wait 5 mins till the battle is done, it gets boring and makes me feel like I'm useless.

In dark souls, by contrast, nothing levels as you level. You actually feel like you're getting stronger, which I like a lot. Combat in dark souls is 1000x better than skyrim as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back