Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #3,631 of 6,937
Quote:
Nah, it's not nostalgia - it's just the game as a whole is a must play.  The story is the revelation - not just the graphics or the gameplay that someone might consider a bit dated.

Quote:
I don't know maybe a couple of years ago. Of course, Bioshock is all about the first time you play it - after that "would you kindly" isn't the same 
size]

"nostalgia describes a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations"

That's nostalgia man. 
biggrin.gif

It does have a great play-through the first time. My comments was to try to put a game from 2007 into perspective so that Uchi would have another perspective to consider. I have plenty of friends that went back to play it and simply weren't impressed. It's all perspective. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,632 of 6,937
Nah, my recommendation has nothing to do with nostalgia. If I was feeling nostalgic about Bioshock I would play the game myself. And honestly I can't be nostalgic about a game made like 5 years ago. For instance, a friend of mine was playing the new SimCity few days ago and I remembered how good the first one was - that's nostalgia. Of course, I won't recommend it to anyone these days as most people will think I'm crazy. The first Bioshock is just a great game and I can't call it dated but I guess for younger people who care a lot about state of the art graphics and less about story it might not be as impressive even though for console gamers this shouldn't matter as the difference with the newer gamers will be even more unnoticeable 

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,635 of 6,937
Quote:
Uchihaitachi playing a game? Wow. I expected you to be composing music in your "free time" rather than playing games. 
tongue.gif

Far from it! Been unable to game the past few months, I am going on a gaming binge for the next few weeks. 
size]

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,636 of 6,937
Quote:
Nah, my recommendation has nothing to do with nostalgia. If I was feeling nostalgic about Bioshock I would play the game myself. And honestly I can't be nostalgic about a game made like 5 years ago. For instance, a friend of mine was playing the new SimCity few days ago and I remembered how good the first one was - that's nostalgia. Of course, I won't recommend it to anyone these days as most people will think I'm crazy. The first Bioshock is just a great game and I can't call it dated but I guess for younger people who care a lot about state of the art graphics and less about story it might not be as impressive even though for console gamers this shouldn't matter as the difference with the newer gamers will be even more unnoticeable 

Why younger people? Not everyone plays games for the stories.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #3,637 of 6,937
System shock 2 larger then bioshock and infinite. And it's not nostalgia recently went through it again. The thing is it stems from a time when games wasn't cynically mainstreamed but made as good they possibly could. I enjoyed bioshock series a lot still though

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #3,638 of 6,937
Quote:
He should at least play the first one. Every gamer owes to himself to play the first Bioshock System Shock and System Shock 2 if they still hasn't.

but yeah, bioshock was great too.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,639 of 6,937
Quote:
but yeah, bioshock was great too.

LOL I haven't played System Shock for ages but let's be realistic - the new generation of gamers won't go playing it because of the graphics. A while ago I was asked by a friend about a good rpg game and I told him he should play Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 and he laughed at me when he checked them out. That's just how everyone is these days - spoiled by fancy graphics. Recently I was in argument on another forum and a whole bunch of teens were complaining how if a game doesn't have great graphics gamers can't immerse in its world and story and other ridiculous stuff. And honestly, they were complaining about games from few years ago - and they really think that games made before 2000 are some last century junk probably because these games are older than they are LOL

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3,640 of 6,937
That's fine though. It's their generation. I'm not going back to me Dad's generation to player pong and packman.

I loved the hell out of the original Fallout whichwas turn based, but I tried going back to play it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it.

While graphics don't make a game great, I think their point about immersion is perfectly valid. If I'm too distracted by terrible pixilation to enjoy the gameplay or story then it matters.

Not everyone can be a Kova4a and put aside graphics and gameplay for story. I'm one of those people. If I really want an amazing story, then I pick up a book. If my game happens to have one, all the better.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,641 of 6,937
Well, I also like fancy graphics - I can't lie. 
size]
 As I said I'm not recommending very old games anymore. It's not like the first Bioshock is an 8-bit game. I just hate when people start complaining about the graphics of games from few years ago or just nitpicking about stupid stuff. Like when Crysis 2 was released without dx11 support and kids started whining about it. For that matter I think the current gen console gamers are a lot less picky and whiny. They were arguing whether the Crysis 2's graphics were better on xbox or ps3 but no one was whining that the game is low-res and blurry just because this is the capability of the current consoles. I admit that sometimes I move from my pc to my ps3 for a game the reduced graphical quality bothers me a at first but if the game is good I soon forget about that. Oh, and I almost never put aside gameplay for story - just the graphics.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,642 of 6,937
I just started playing Crysis. The graphics still looks amazing for a 2007 title. I don't know how I feel about the suit and abilities. It's suppose to enchance combat but it feels like it hinders me more. lol. I can only give it 7/10. Controls don't feel intuitive.

I'm also playing Zero's Escape: Virtue's Last Reward on the Vita. It's an interactive visual novel. It's a survival game that involves numbers specifically nona- (9) and digital roots. Basically 9 people are kidnapped, locked up in a maze and they have to solve puzzles to get out. There are many people who don't like these types of games because there is lots of reading involved.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3,643 of 6,937
Aquaria (Mac) - 8/10

It's a really fun action-adventure game with an interesting story and great art style. The singing aspect of the game is an interesting concept and it reminds me of Zelda games. "Style changing" is also neat but some of them just felt like a quick add-on in the game; you will only really use 2-3 of them.

Due to the adventureness nature of the game (yes I made up that word), I actually missed a lot of things because like most action-adventure games *cough Castlevania and Metroid* backtracking is required and I missed some stuff.

Guu~ Bosses, and especially the optional bosses, are really difficult to fight. Expect to stock-up on a lot of ingredients to cook healing-based items while fighting some of the tougher bosses.

Also, the controls on Mac do not seem to be re-configurable which might be a problem for some; I was fine with it even though I had to use my left hand for WASD controls and my right hand to rapidly tap the CTRL key to shoot.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,644 of 6,937
Been playing Gran Turismo 5 again. Still loving it. This time I'm playing around more with the super cars, rather than just the muscle cars and stuff. Really having a fun time just beating my fastest lap times on certain maps. It's also a lot of fun to play without traction control. With it on it's default setting, basically all you have to do to win races is hold down the accelerator and point the car in the right direction, but with it off, you have to be really careful with accelerating, or else your car turns into a spinning top.

As much as I'm loving it, I'm finding really strange design choices in the game. For one: why is the Bugatti Veyron a low-quality model? It's a 2 million dollar car, but they decided to not make it a high detail model? Also, the Ford GT '05 is a better car than the Ford GT '06, yet the '05 is the one with the standard model...

Still, with all that said, 9/10.

Also, my pride and joy:

Didn't think it would look all that great in gold, but it totally does.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back