Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,466 of 6,937
Will anyone else be joining me in the FFXIV beta this weekend?

Additionally warframe I give a 6.5/10. I like the combat but hate repetitive scenarios and pay to win. They get boring really fast

5/10 for war of planes. Same issues but with less desirable gameplay, and I usually enjoy Arial combat.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,470 of 6,937
So I just started playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. I've played the original, and the re-make+Master Quest on the GameCube.

Control-wise, it feels awkward.
  1. I just got the slingshot and the navigation speed without using the gyroscope is pretty slow and impractical in my opinion.
  2. I keep wanting to press Y (up-arrow on the N64 controller, C-Up on the GameCube controller) to go to first-person view. Instead, it activates an assigned weapon and I've wasted a few Deku Nuts that way.
  3. Using the analogue slider for spin attacks feels unrewarding too since the analogue slider feels so flimsy compared to the joysticks on the N64 and GameCube controllers. Maneuvering the camera with this slider feels clunky and I have a hard time orienting myself in-game compared to the GameCube or N64 controllers. My analogue stick is a bit squeaky too.
  4. The new menu system feels clunky and I miss the rotating cube interface. They even changed the sound effects such that each menu makes the "opening menu" sound effect instead of "opening menu" sound effect and the "switch within menu" sound effect like in previous games. That plus the item selection screens have a weird, gaudy-looking stone border; it just doesn't fit this Zelda game.
  5. Want to know how to save? Well don't bother looking at the instruction manual since it doesn't tell you. I had to look this up on the internet. In previous games you went to the menu screen and pressed the "sword" button. In this version you press Start or Select. How intuitive.
  6. Backflips have changed in animation such that it is really slow. I feel that doing backflips will not make you travel faster as it did in previous versions of the game.
  7. Likewise, the jump attack animation seems slightly longer, especially at the end of the attack

Graphical-wise, this game looks gorgeous for the most part.
  1. Game sprites (at least the Kokiri and Link) now look more cartoony and anime-like which is weird.
  2. Textures have been improved, but particles in-game look a bit weird to me; remember those random floating "pollen spores" that flew around in Kokiri Forest? In this version, I feel that there are less of those flying around or they start appearing closer toward the player.
  3. Because of the above 2 points, I feel that the nostalgic value of the game has been decreased.
  4. When throwing rocks, they literally blow-up and huge chunks fly all over the place (as opposed to a small burst of rocks in previous versions).
  5. When jumping, Link kind of spreads his legs instead of just "jumping" normally. It's kind of award and makes Link look like a drunkard or something.
  6. Daaaaang does that 3D depth effect effect look nice in this game. Unlike Fire Emblem: Awakening, the textures between 2D and 3D are not lost, and nor are the colour saturation level. In Awakening, characters lost detail and colours looked washed out between 3D and 2D.

Alas, I couldn't do the "infinite sword glitch" in this version yet, but I haven't really been trying. I was also going to try to see if the Zora's Domain glitch is still there too...or the early Gold Scale glitch, or getting to adult Link with only the Kokiri's Emerald (or maybe without it at all).

Overall, not bad, but not perfect: 8/10
Controls are awkward, graphic effects improved but doesn't feel the same, overall nostalgic feeling is kind of diminished for me.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #3,471 of 6,937
Apr 21, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3,472 of 6,937
GT and Forza with Racing Wheels is the only way to play. SOOO GOOOOOD! It's even better with a racing seat.

I have a hard time deciding between GT5 and forza 4 id say those two are tied for best ever. Do you use a racing wheel?

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,475 of 6,937
Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - 7/10.

Blood Bowl is a great game, but this version unfortunately isn't the best. It's sloppy, unpolished, and pretty buggy, with an interface that can be painfully obtuse at times. On the plus side, the artwork is great and really captures the Warhammer spirit. The core tabletop game, of which this is only a simulation, is of course fun as hell, and complex and engrossing for people that are into that sort of thing - needlessly complicated turn-based games with an elaborate dice system in the background. Though unlike other turn-based games, the fact that every game in Blood Bowl is (usually) only 16 turns and lasts typically less than 2 hours makes it far more manageable than your usual 4X or Civilization-style massive campaigns that bog down into micromanagement tedium in the end.

Still playing QuakeLive and getting the hang of duelling more and more. I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be in terms of aim and movement, but this time around I feel like I could get a far better grasp on the mental game. RIP life :frowning2:

I think I'll tackle Dark Souls next, as I was a fan of both Die By The Sword as well as the awesome and criminally underplayed Blade of Darkness.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3,476 of 6,937
Not familiar with Bioshock games. Do you guys think that i should start from the 1st game to understand the whole story? 
or its something different on the Infinite? sorry if its a dumb question..

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #3,478 of 6,937
Not familiar with Bioshock games. Do you guys think that i should start from the 1st game to understand the whole story? 
or its something different on the Infinite? sorry if its a dumb question..

If you wait to play the first then you probably won't get around to it. Just go for the 3rd, it's great all by itself.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,479 of 6,937
I just started Far Cry 3 recently, and its an amazing game so far. Open world done right.

The only complaint I have so far is that the random civilian NPC's are a little half-assed. Extremely poor audio quality for their dialogue(sounds like telephone bandwidth), and they completely ignore your character unless they are part of a quest. Not a huge deal but it just doesn't seem to be on par with the quality of everything else.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,480 of 6,937
Quote:
I just started Far Cry 3 recently, and its an amazing game so far. Open world done right.

The only complaint I have so far is that the random civilian NPC's are a little half-assed. Extremely poor audio quality for their dialogue(sounds like telephone bandwidth), and they completely ignore your character unless they are part of a quest. Not a huge deal but it just doesn't seem to be on par with the quality of everything else.

Yeah right, but the story keeps getting better after each completed mission. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back