Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #14,191 of 24,638
  Think i'm going to go see Captain Phillips again, but this time on the IMAX screen.
Couldn't stop thinking about this movie after I left the theater. The last movie that did that was the South Korean film "Poetry".

I would say it's some of Tom Hanks' best acting yet. I kept saying "Man, doesn't this guy ever get scared?"..well let's just say that I don't want to ruin things. The answer to that is...well nevermind.
Somehow the movie seemed to portray effectively the effect this ordeal had on him without really Tom Hanks saying anything or the scriptwriter spelling it all out for us.
Apparently the real life thing was much worse than what was shown in the movie.

Mostly due to the mock executions where the Captain felt as if he was going to die at any moment

If it wasn't for the acting then the movie would not be nearly as good. It's definitely not a drama but felt totally real, but NOT like a documentary AT ALL. No heroes at all on board the ship.
At times I was worried they'd change reality and turn someone into like John Rambo or something.

NOTE: I'd say this was the best movie i've seen this year in the theater.

very happy to hear that, I actually watched a Documentary on the Samalia Pirate HiJackings, so the topic material is interesting for me. In all honesty those men who do that really do it for their community, they come back RICH but they pour a lot of money into buying food for the villages, so imo, that real sense of NEED to hi jack just adds to the appeal of the story. In real life and on the screen. They NEED those hostages to feed their familes... a very DARK Robin Hood kinda of thing, but less straight forward.

Still a sad story, but it should make for an excellent movie. Espicially if it's very documentary like! 

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #14,193 of 24,638
  I was going to wait for Captain Phillips to hit DVD, but maybe I'll see it in the theater since you guys are so high on it. 

Do go see it, SUPPORT your local theater <3 if it sucks you can kick me in the shin if need be. I'm a tough enough fellow, I'd feel terrible if you Kicked TD... he is such a cute little glasses wearing dog! 

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #14,196 of 24,638
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 7/10

Worth watching and never boring but nothing special and I'll never watch it again. Probably will forget about it in a few weeks.

I would say it's the most low-key movie i've seen in years. Only one somewhat suspenseful scene in the entire movie.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #14,197 of 24,638
  Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 7/10

Worth watching and never boring but nothing special and I'll never watch it again. Probably will forget about it in a few weeks.

I would say it's the most low-key movie i've seen in years. Only one somewhat suspenseful scene in the entire movie.

I thought the same when I finished watching it.

But then I realized, this is what espionage is. There's a lot of waiting and gathering information, things are accomplished covertly and silently, and there's not much of James Bond like action.
Unlike some movies, in this case, even the viewer isn't sure whats going on, and is just as clueless as George Smiley.
So, this movie tests your patience like a true spy, but rewards you at the end.

In other words, you've been watching too many war movies.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #14,198 of 24,638

I thought the same when I finished watching it.

But then I realized, this is what espionage is. There's a lot of waiting and gathering information, things are accomplished covertly and silently, and there's not much of James Bond like action.
Unlike some movies, in this case, even the viewer isn't sure whats going on, and is just as clueless as George Smiley.
So, this movie tests your patience like a true spy, but rewards you at the end.

In other words, you've been watching too many war movies.

No, I know this and knew what to expect beforehand, but it still doesn't change my opinion of it. Didn't really reward ME for my patience.
I actually find James Bond movies more boring than this one
biggrin.gif
I must be the only one here who hated the last one.

My rating of "Tinker..." isn't really due to the slower pace at all. Just didn't feel like anything special to me. It actually held my attention until the very end and I didn't even want to take a break.

BTW have you seen "Army of Shadows"? Loved that movie! It's also very slow and takes forever to get going.

Also..the version of Tinker I saw was the Gary Oldman version. I think there is many different versions.

FYI I love slower paced movies. As long as my brain is in use it can be super slow. Strangely Kurosawa movies tend to bore me to tears but Ozu movies are like a thrill ride in comparison. Wonder why?
The most boring movie ever made is "One Wonderful Sunday".

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #14,199 of 24,638
Tinker Soldier Spy  was awfully bad and booring for somebody who didn´t know what to expect. No acting, no interesting story no nothing pointless. It was an ugly movie with way to much digital noise added on top of that to make it look old.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #14,200 of 24,638
Got a chance to see Captain Philips and would agree what has been posted by tdockweiler. Tom Hanks does a superberb job portraying capt Richard Philips, his demeanor as a captain that runs a tight ship and even sounding like Philips when he speaks. You could just feel the emotions going through him as he goes through this ordeal and you can't help but to almost break down when it's over. The actors cast as the pirates also did an excellent job, they were desperate, high on khat or suffering symptoms of withdrawl, sleep depraved, confined to a life boat in an uncomfortable situation and they played their roles to a tee. The Seal Team and the naval troops in the movie all of them performed professionally as one would expect them to. Would definitely recommend this movie, one of Tom's best performances in a long time. 9/10

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #14,201 of 24,638
  Tinker Soldier Spy  was awfully bad and booring for somebody who didn´t know what to expect. No acting, no interesting story no nothing pointless. It was an ugly movie with way to much digital noise added on top of that to make it look old.

When a movie scores well with the critics but does badly with the audience, its understandable. Some movies are more cerebral than others.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #14,202 of 24,638
Home sick today (really) and from my small DVD collection, watched "Gattaca" again.  I still give it 7/10 for the story line and would have given it another point if Ethan Hawke wasn't the main actor. If the role was given to Jude Law, then I would have given it a solid 8, but I can see why Ethan got it instead.  Yes, I'm not a big Ethan Hawke fan.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #14,203 of 24,638

I'm guessing you didn't like The Watchmen either. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #14,204 of 24,638
Watchmen did at least look good and was a bit more interesting. I suspect you really have to have read the book or seen the old movie or something to enjoy tsp.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #14,205 of 24,638
I had never even heard of this film until the other day, and I'm sure glad that Netflix recommended it. I have always enjoyed films about gambling and this one may ultimately end up being my favorite. A much younger James Caan, James Woods, and a beautiful Lauren Hutton...along with Paul Sorvino and Vic Tayback, as some of you who are 40 or older may remember as Mel from the show "Alice". I really enjoyed this one...

"The Gambler" - 9.2/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back