Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #13,712 of 24,652
Quote:
119, seen a lot of the newer stuff on the list (1975ish and up). Thats a very good list of films and a cool little "app". Still want to see that IP man everyone I know says its great.

IP Man 8/10
Good fight scenes. Historically inaccurate and weird to a native Chinese watcher due to the languages used and what not.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #13,713 of 24,652
113. Most of the one's I haven't seen are the oldies. Def on the to watch list now.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #13,717 of 24,652
Quote:
Elysium.  6/10.

A nifty idea behind it, although the execution was pretty cliche and the pacing a little too fast.  Some of the special effects were neat and new, but my biggest complaint about the movie as a whole was the overuse of the handheld camera.  A combination of close angles, frequent editing and the shaky camerawork during many of the action scenes really hurts their effect.  I wasn't really too keen on the bluntness behind the implied racism in the movie.  All the rich, snobby folk up in the colony are white, and most everybody shown in the slums seem hispanic.

See District 9. It´s more directly related to racism and apartheid.

I give it an 8/10. Solid though I wish it would engage more. I was never bored with it though. To me it made Elysium feel more prison camp than paradise.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #13,719 of 24,652
Scored 150, I hit on every Hitchcock film.  I was nearly a 100% on Westerns, Sci-Fi, and Horror, and Comedies. Weak on Foreign films and Romance.
What's weird is I have several of these films laying around but have yet to see them-Million Dollar Baby, Life of Pi, Django Unchained, Shutter Island, and Reservoir Dogs. My only excuse is I'm spending too much time listening to audio.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #13,720 of 24,652
I've been thinking a lot about it lately and I'd probably give Elysium a 7.75/10. Couldn't really wrap my brain around it and decide.
I have to say that for me it's visually pretty good, but it's too serious and not very enjoyable to sit through. Why? Not sure, maybe it's too heavy handed?
I have no issues with anything the director had to say.

The reason I didn't love Elysium is the same reason I didn't love "Dark Knight Rises".

I also didn't really care much about the main character. Felt like the movie could be another half hour long...

The fight scenes were also disappointing.

The Kruger character also could have been done a little better. Felt the actor was kind of wasted.

BTW I'm a huge fan of District 9 and give that a 10/10. Same goes for "The Pianist".
normal_smile .gif

One of my favorite Holocaust movies is the TV version of Anne Frank with Ben Kingsley. The B&W hollywood version isn't that good and the BBC version is just OK.
I even read the book and the TV version is the most accurate IMO.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #13,722 of 24,652
Quote:
Scored 150, I hit on every Hitchcock film.  I was nearly a 100% on Westerns, Sci-Fi, and Horror, and Comedies. Weak on Foreign films and Romance.
What's weird is I have several of these films laying around but have yet to see them-Million Dollar Baby, Life of Pi, Django Unchained, Shutter Island, and Reservoir Dogs. My only excuse is I'm spending too much time listening to audio.

Yep, same here...I've got a small pile of films building up.  I just picked up a copy of Life of Pi in 3D. Lots of comments on the Amazon forums about how great the 3D effects are and it's always a treat to fire up the glasses at home. I've also got Das Boot sitting here in bluray waiting for me, among a few others. It's kind of funny cause I've been trying to find other Michael Shannon films to watch since I've been enjoying his work lately, and there is a film called Premium Rush that came out a while back. For some reason I can NEVER find it for rent on any of the streaming sites I use, so I finally found a used copy of the bluray on Amazon and pulled the trigger. I typically will stream more than I'll buy, but in this case I just wanted the ordeal to end so I bought it. Literally while the thing is in the possession of UPS and I'm waiting for it to be delivered, I'm flipping through the cable channels looking for something to watch when I see the listing - Premium Rush. I feel like this isn't the first time it's happened, lol...

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #13,723 of 24,652
Quote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who's watched Stalker. 

I've never been able to sit through a Tarkovsky film. I think I actually have three of his Criterion discs too!
I've heard that "Ivan's Childhood" is much different than his other films. I think maybe I haven't given them a chance.

I also can't seem to sit through anything by Ingmar Bergman.

Then again I'm bored to death with Akira Kurosawa movies yet love anything by Ozu or Kenji Mizoguchi.

"One Wonderful Sunday" is possibly the most boring movie ever made. I did love "Red Beard" and "The Lower Depths".

BTW has anyone seen "Taste of Cherry"? I saw that based on Ebert's review and ended up loving it!

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #13,724 of 24,652
Literally while the thing is in the possession of UPS and I'm waiting for it to be delivered, I'm flipping through the cable channels looking for something to watch when I see the listing - Premium Rush. I feel like this isn't the first time it's happened, lol...

Couple of us had a look at that one back here, funny you were the first poster after that.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/266841/rate-the-last-movie-you-watched/11565#post_8881178

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #13,725 of 24,652
Pretty inconsistent list. @.@ Obviously some great movies on there, but a few had me scratching my head, too. I scored 176.
Quote:
http://www.listchallenges.com/imdb-top-250

It's a site that shows you the top 250 movies and lets you click to tell you and compete with friends/people in how many of ___topic___ you have seen.

I did this and have seen only 64 of the top 250 movies

How many do you gets get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back