Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #12,888 of 24,651

Quote:
I thought Into the Wild was one of the best movies Id ever seen...until the end. 

blink.gif

The end was epic!

It held for a second viewing some month ago though I kind of remembered every single scene like I watched it yesterday lol.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #12,889 of 24,651
It was a good movie, but the main character was quite annoying.

He has to play annoying because maybe the actual person also annoying that's why he end up alone like that :p

The end was epic!

It held for a second viewing some month ago though I kind of remembered every single scene like I watched it yesterday lol.

Exactly, plain movie but not boring at all. Avatar is more boring than this, hahaha, I almost fell a sleep watching Avatar.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #12,890 of 24,651
Quote:
He has to play annoying because maybe the actual person also annoying that's why he end up alone like that
tongue.gif

Exactly, plain movie but not boring at all. Avatar is more boring than this, hahaha, I almost fell a sleep watching Avatar.

For sure. Although it is kind of difficult to become immersed in a story with no sympathetic characters.

I share your distaste for Avatar. I don't understand what the big deal about it was, Cameron just ripped off his earlier (and better) movie Aliens.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #12,891 of 24,651
The Company Men was pretty good, 7.5/10

I'm still trying to figure out if I liked Argo or not.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #12,892 of 24,651
The Pacific - 10/10

I've now watched this and Band of Brothers twice. I prefer this one, but it's tougher to watch.
The episodes where they're at Okinawa are painfully sad. The movie really makes you wonder how people can be reduced to something like this. People shooting stretcher bearers (not the Americans), pulling out gold teeth (or cutting off ears) and using villagers as human shields etc. Then just the idea of having to eat while sitting next to a dead rotting corpse because there was no dirt to bury anyone. Some of those WWII veterans really did go through hell and it's probably worse than I could ever imagine.

I know it's a touchy subject, but if I was there in WWII I would now understand why some of the soldiers hated the Japanese. It wasn't really just racism. The Americans did their share of bad things too of course. It's sad that often they'd have to resort to taking no prisoners.

Most of the scenes are pretty realistic. For example, the early use of the "Banzai Charge". Then the pebble throwing scene was really true. I won't explain that one.

Snafu really gave me the creeps. I don't know if he acted like that in real life or if he was that good of an actor. His character was not someone I'd want to hang around with. I can't imagine after witnessing some of the things you did that you'd ever be the same. Fighting on Peleliu seems like a real life nightmare. Snafu was one of the more interesting characters.

I'd love to see a movie like this, but told from the Japanese side. So far i've only seen "The Battle of Okinawa", but it was really offensive and not very accurate.

BTW I'm reading the books the Pacific is based off of.

Saving Private Ryan seems so tame compared to some episodes of "The Pacific".

Oh yeah, did you know there were Japanese hold-outs after the war until 1974? Crazy! One of them was found in the mountains in the Philippines.

Battleground - 10/10

Near perfect WWII movie about the battle of Bastogne. This one is from 1943 and quite realistic.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #12,895 of 24,651
You say that like there is any problem with what you just said.

Quote:
Just saw the new Gi Joe from pre-screening tickets or whatever they're called. It was so bad! No suspense whatsoever, it's like a bunch of their guys got killed in a bombing and they went out and killed everyone and that's it!

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #12,896 of 24,651
Quote:
Just saw the new Gi Joe from pre-screening tickets or whatever they're called. It was so bad! No suspense whatsoever, it's like a bunch of their guys got killed in a bombing and they went out and killed everyone and that's it!

Went to see a GI-Joe film an expected a plot? Lower your expectations. I don't go and see action movie with anything in mind other than 'splosions.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #12,898 of 24,651
I've never quite understood this defense of action movies. Surely there's more to it than explosions. Maybe a great villain? Maybe good one-liners? Maybe a little bit of social commentary--not too much, but a little? Maybe a well-structured plot? Good stunt-work? Decent character development? No overuse of CGI? Chase sequences that 'feel' more like real-life than they do a video game? Etc. etc. etc. 

I don't lower my expectations when I go to see an action movie. I expect to see a good action movie when I go to see a action movie. And good action movies are hard to make--just as hard to make as good movies of any other genre. Blowing stuff up real good is not enough--for me, at least.
Quote:
Went to see a GI-Joe film an expected a plot? Lower your expectations. I don't go and see action movie with anything in mind other than 'splosions.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #12,899 of 24,651
Quote:

I'd love to see a movie like this, but told from the Japanese side. So far i've only seen "The Battle of Okinawa", but it was really offensive and not very accurate.

There is a Japanese movie running currently in our movie theaters "Isoroku Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet" or "The Admiral" ( 2011). This movie has little chances to reach American movie theaters like many Soviet or Russian movies about WW II. The reason is clear - American authorities don't want another point of view to influence people and shake their concepts taken from history classes. According to the review it's not an anti-american movie but anyways you shouldn't show other side position because you may feel sympathy towards them or acquire better understanding of their actions.

The 5 Most Widely Believed WWII Facts (That Are ********)

I don't support overly patriotic propaganda from any side. Every side contorts facts in order to show itself in favorable manner be it Soviets, Americans etc. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #12,900 of 24,651
Quote:
I've never quite understood this defense of action movies. Surely there's more to it than explosions. Maybe a great villain? Maybe good one-liners? Maybe a little bit of social commentary--not too much, but a little? Maybe a well-structured plot? Good stunt-work? Decent character development? No overuse of CGI? Chase sequences that 'feel' more like real-life than they do a video game? Etc. etc. etc. 

I don't lower my expectations when I go to see an action movie. I expect to see a good action movie when I go to see a action movie. And good action movies are hard to make--just as hard to make as good movies of any other genre. Blowing stuff up real good is not enough--for me, at least.

Right with ya, I'm not going to lower my standards because the lowest common denominator has. People doing this is the reason we have the Transformer series. the CGI masturbation era is a nightmare for cinephile's because now directors just try to make that next big "Visual experience" which is a buzz phrase that makes me grind my teeth like no other. 300 I feel did it right, it had an interesting enough story; the characters had like...talking parts that wasn't just screaming over gunshots or explosions and although it was just a lot of GCI circle jerking it was also a well put together movie. Same with pretty much any Tarantino movie IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back