Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #12,856 of 24,641
Actually, the killer is seen.  It's in the second half of the film, probably more like 3/4s through.  You never actually see the face, but rather catch the head and shoulders of the killer (he's wearing a cap) from the right rear in a restaurant. I agree totally with your analysis.  For me, the irony and the total randomness of fate is very, very sobering.  How we can become obscessed to the point of madness speaks to my personal code which is to fulfill any promise made no matter what the cost.  Personal integrity becomes more and more sacrosanct to me as I get older...

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #12,857 of 24,641
Actually, the killer is seen.  It's in the second half of the film, probably more like 3/4s through.  You never actually see the face, but rather catch the head and shoulders of the killer (he's wearing a cap) from the right rear in a restaurant.

It was implied that Oliver,the husband to that lady in the Christmas store was top suspect.
The woman in the store wearing a Christmas hat,she ate his hedgehog chocolates later in the movie, that's how the audience is led to believe he is the killer.
We do get to see the face of Oliver,he sat behind his wife in the sweet shop,you briefly see him through the glass.
Jack was so close to the alleged killer early in the film and never realized it.
Afterwards old Jack goes around the corner to the piano teacher's apartment.
The murdered girl was probably near or inside the sweet shop before or after one of her piano lessons,which is likely how she met the suspect.
He was right all along about the real killer still at large and would've been vindicated,if the suspect didn't die in the burning crash before the sting operation.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #12,858 of 24,641
Into The Wild (10/10)

Great narration, soundtrack (by Eddie Vedder), filming, acting.
The end made me cry, it's kinda sad when the father starts walking on the neighborhood and starts crying. Or when the old man asks Chris if he can adopt him. And when he realizes he ate a poisonous berry.

Great movie. Definitely one of my favourites.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #12,860 of 24,641
Well, there's Sean Connery. He kind of defined the series. But I agree that Pierce Brosnan is a strong runner up. I don't like the newer humorless Bond franchise. They're never going to be realistic, so they might as well have fun with it like they used to.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #12,862 of 24,641
Quote:
Also, one thing I thought was really lacking in class with Argo was the part of the movie where they mentioned that the British and New Zealand embassies turned away and refused to help the Americans. Actually, they all contributed to getting them out of Iran; they just decided that the Canadian embassy would be the safest place to keep them. There was no reason to put that line in, and it was completely uncalled for considering what actually happened.

An article related to ZDT you might find interesting if you haven't seen it already: http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313
Unfortunately, it looks like reintegrating into civilian life is as difficult as it was portrayed to be in Hurt Locker.

I think we might have similar entertainment tastes. Dexter is one of my favorite running shows, along with Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, and a couple others.

Great post re:  Argo.  Most of the information about the escape was classified for years. All I knew at the time was that the Canadians helped the Americans out of Iran.  I thought the movie was well done, but clearly at times Affleck had some agenda items to throw in.  The Embassy dig I suspect was done to create the "us against them" mentality to dramatize the story.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #12,864 of 24,641
I'm not the biggest fan of animated films, although from time to time I'll watch one. My favorite thus far has probably been Toy Story 3...that one caught me off guard and I found it very profound and well done. Well, I think I found one that I enjoyed equally as well tonight. I enjoyed every minute of this. I could have watched another hour or longer, the story was that engaging. Fantastic effort!

"Wreck It Ralph" - 9.4/10

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #12,865 of 24,641
Quote:
I think no one is better than Pierce Brosnan. He is the image of James Bond for everybody, I think.

Oof! Not everybody, man....

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #12,866 of 24,641
Great movie! I'm glad to see Disney with this and Tangled getting back into the game, expecially while Pixar is on the decline with Cars 2, Brave, and we'll see what Monsters 2 is like. 

I rented Rise of the Guardians tonight for my kids and while it was at times a but much for my 5yr old overall I liked the fil and found the concept to be executed mostly well. I'll be getting a 3D copy but reading the review over at AVS sounds like this one got top marks for 3D presentation. I don't bother to get many of those but watching this you could tell it was built for a 3D experience.  
Quote:
I'm not the biggest fan of animated films, although from time to time I'll watch one. My favorite thus far has probably been Toy Story 3...that one caught me off guard and I found it very profound and well done. Well, I think I found one that I enjoyed equally as well tonight. I enjoyed every minute of this. I could have watched another hour or longer, the story was that engaging. Fantastic effort!

"Wreck It Ralph" - 9.4/10

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #12,867 of 24,641
Here is a pair of stinkers that actually have me switching off and heading outside to clear the mind.
Give the people in this thread two million bucks and I believe we could create and act in our own production masterpiece with more panache.

Beyond The Trophy (2012) 4.3/10
Michael Madsen narrates this scattered underworld kingpin mess.
Prior to this,he appeared in a Justin Bieber music video,if that gives you a hint of anything.
Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill are but a faded memory for Madsen,no one gets to shine in this cheesy flop.

Java Heat (2013) 5/10
Mickey Rourke and his botoxed,Tussads wax museum appearance is strikingly odd,when accompanied with a fake French accent.
An over the top international jewel thief that likes to have fun with young boys,well - you get the character type Rourke portrays.
Indonesian scenery and locations are the only redeeming features here,unless you fancy Kellan Lutz of Twilight as your action hero man of the hour.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #12,870 of 24,641
Roger Moore never gets any love but he was a seriously underrated Bond. I would put him and Brosnan at the same level, which is second-best to Connery. Craig edges out Lazenby for third, with Dalton bringing up the rear. None of them were actually bad, it's kind of a turnkey/plug n'play/formula role requiring a certain charisma. IMO.

Pretty sure that's all of them
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back