Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #12,826 of 24,641
I was pretty tired when I watched Skyfall, like I said it seemed overly long but I'm going to give it another try since I have the disc as a rental. I know what you mean about SLP, and agree that it's still worthwhile!

In the meantime, Haywire is up next because Netflix thinks that I'll like it better than the other ones I was considering. I'll probably just nod off to it anyways, as I'm in post-op with painkillers to go with a free month of unlimited Netflix streaming. Of course the bandwidth isn't free but I do have some rollover GBs accumulated... sorry I'm rambling.
redface.gif

Saving the Skyfall bluray 2nd viewing until after I've had a nap
wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #12,827 of 24,641
Quote:
I was pretty tired when I watched Skyfall, like I said it seemed overly long but I'm going to give it another try since I have the disc as a rental. I know what you mean about SLP, and agree that it's still worthwhile!

In the meantime, Haywire is up next because Netflix thinks that I'll like it better than the other ones I was considering. I'll probably just nod off to it anyways, as I'm in post-op with painkillers to go with a free month of unlimited Netflix streaming. Of course the bandwidth isn't free but I do have some rollover GBs accumulated... sorry I'm rambling.
redface.gif

Saving the Skyfall bluray 2nd viewing until after I've had a nap
wink_face.gif

Cool, let me/us know how Haywire is...I've had that one in my queue, too! Hope your recovery goes well! :)

Tonight I watched the Journey documentary that I first heard about a few months ago. I had no idea it was already available for streaming on Vudu, so that was a nice surprise. I grew up on this band - the Steve Perry version, of course - but I really didn't have much interest during the Steve Augeri years. Arnel Pineda is a great story and seems like a really good dude, to boot. I was disappointed with the video and audio quality of this film, but it was relatively well done and I enjoyed seeing it. 

"Don't Stop Believin: Everyman's Journey'" - 8.0/10

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #12,828 of 24,641
Thanks for the kind words
smile.gif

Haywire was pretty good, 7.5/10

I didn't realize that it had such an all-star supporting cast so that was a plus. I was attracted to it primarily because of Soderbergh, and Netflix's recommendation. It was a well-done, if not very original, revenge story. Carano was a badass in the fight scenes, but could have shown a bit more charisma in the dialog scenes. Still, even though the story wasn't as convoluted as some other action movies I've seen recently, it did have its share of unnecessary plot twists and turns that made for a difficult narrative. The action/fight scenes were well-choreographed and not overdone with special effects; this was likely due to Carano doing many of her own stunts.

I did give Skyfall another try last night, and have upped my rating to 8/10. Still too long though, liked they were trying to pack 1.5 stories into the space of one. I'll have to give Killer Elite another try at some point.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #12,829 of 24,641

Great movie 9.5/10.  Great acting and outstanding script.  Throw in some vintage classic rock in Blu-ray just to sweeten the sound.  Big thumbs up. Really resonated with me as I was in college at the time the "Iran hostage crisis" went down.  I knew the 6 Americans made it out of Iran via Canadian help but never knew the details.  As typical with Hollywood portrayals of real events some details were "dramatized."  
Very entertaining and fast moving.  

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #12,830 of 24,641
Savages, 3/10

Absolutely awful. Taylor kitsch is just an obvious indicator that this movie is a waste of time.

The main characters are some of the most plain cheesy wackos in a good movie, by that I mean this movie would've been. 5/10 with a better set of characters. A spoiled person, a military man with no personality and a junkie stoner who was OK for this movie

You see absolutely no depth in the shared girlfriend relationship. So not even that was interesting

If you liked battleship you'll like this movie too

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #12,833 of 24,641
Searching for Sugar Man is one of the most astonishing true-life stories I've ever seen. It is a fantastic documentary and it is absolutely critical that you read no reviews before watching. No spoilers!

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12,834 of 24,641
it is absolutely critical that you read no reviews before watching. No spoilers!

Searching For Sugarman (2012) 8/10

This one slipped by me,thanks for the reminder.
I did look at IMDB and watched the trailer beforehand,to check in if I could bear with a folk singer documentary.
It is well worth a look.
To paraphrase:
"What he demonstrated very clearly is that you have a choice.
He took all that torment,all that agony,all that confusion and pain and he transformed it into something beautiful.
Like the silkworm,you take this raw material and you transform it into something that wasn't there before.
Something beautiful,something transcendent,something perhaps eternal."

Representative of the human spirit,that you have a choice and he gave you himself,an everyday working man.
Receives the highest accolades from me for living this story.
Very inspiring change from the usual descent into a drug fueled carnal hell.
From an out take: "money is like oxygen,we need it to live but it's not the goal".

You can take a look at this documentary for the polar opposite and decide-what was the better choice?
Bobby Liebling,former lead singer of Pentagram-I mean he did try after all but just-WoW...
Last Days Here (2011) 6.9/10

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #12,835 of 24,641
The station agent 7/10

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #12,836 of 24,641
Not a movie, but I want to comment on a series that seems to be getting a lot of accolades: Downton Abbey. Season One was good, not great. Season Two has turned into a full-on soap opera. The writing is just awful. Its saving grace is the art direction and set design are worthy of Architectural Digest. Otherwise, it's a period drama written like a soap opera. The dude cannot abide with that.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #12,838 of 24,641
Donnie Darko 6/10. 7/10 second time

Really good movie, you feel Donnie and his journey into the Tangent Universe.

I wish they explained the Book better rather than displaying it and having you read it. Really confused alot of people

Donnie himself was an interesting character, he's really smart like a prodigy.

Placing him in the same school as his little sister was ridiculous, unless Elementary school kids are mixed with high schoolers, donnie was no younger than 15. Just a thought.

Next on my watch list is Lincoln by steven speilberg, looks boring at a glance, but cool. I'm giving it a chance

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #12,839 of 24,641
Quote:

Searching For Sugarman (2012) 8/10

This one slipped by me,thanks for the reminder.

X2, added to queue
popcorn.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #12,840 of 24,641
Hi everyone, Long time movie freak who just rediscovered headphones and this absolutely fascinating thread of movie reviews and comments.  I see lots of  love  for NoCountry For Old Men and the Coen brothers. I share your enthusiasm but usually come away feeling somewhat empty and wondering just what the human condition really is.  I haven't seen many films bleaker than NCFOM.  Live or die on the flip of a coin--just how random and uncaring can this planet be?  The final scene with Tommy Lee Jones--arresting and so sad.  Bardem is great in all his films--he actually plays a good guy in most of his prior roles. In the vein of No Country and the Coens, check out Sean Penn's work as a director--eg The Crossing Guard, The Pledge and Into the Wild.  The Pledge had me head-shaking for days on end.  Those who liked The Killer and Hardboiled served with just a touch of Dredd, might try The Raid--Redemption--non-stop hand to hand fighting, very well choreographed.  I sense many of you like the offbeat and bizare--David Lynch has always been one of my faves.  If anyone can expalin "Inland Empire" so it makes sense, you are a genius. One think Lynch does do is make you  think.  I suspect he throws in some total red-herring crap just cause he's a bit quirky himself and likes to play with you.  For the "lets think this through crowd" wanting a cut above the usual, try Primer--then watch it again...and again.  Same with Momento, check the final images--it turns the whole movie on its head.  For a gold star, for those who saw The Pledge, do we ever see the killer? This is going too long--I'll check-in with the cognoscenti soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back