Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #12,797 of 24,648
The Dirty Dozen - 8.75/10

Liked every minute of it. Makes me want to see Lee Marvin's "The Big Red One" again.

Also be sure to watch Aldrich's other movie "Attack" which is even better than The Dirty Dozen..

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #12,798 of 24,648
Quote:

Agreed, a 9.5/10 for me probably. The most striking thing about that film is that it doesn't have a soundtrack (not to say there's absolutely no music or something of the like in the film). That sort of realism was incredibly memorable for me, similar to the scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey where there was dead silence during the scenes set in space in the middle of the film. Another thing going for No Country is that Javier Bardem played probably the most bad-ass villain in film since Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, IMO.

I have to say I barely noticed the no music because I was sucked in the story. Bardem really, really killed it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #12,799 of 24,648
Watching Shaun of the Dead to start my day, and chuckling all the while....
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #12,800 of 24,648
Quote:
Zero Dark Thirty struck me as a propaganda piece. If it were just a fictional story, I'd say it's a pretty good film - I enjoyed watching it because that's exactly what I think it is. If you think it's ridiculous that the CIA would be in bed with Hollywood in 2013, please watch Argo.

Somebody is not happy about the claimed reality of the movie:

Complete and thorough Hollywood disconnection of reality, [size=smaller]9 February 2013[/size]
10.gif

[size=smaller]Author:[/size] i-amsamuel [size=smaller]from United States[/size]

I was a crewchief assigned to the Group that lifted the SEALS to Abbatobad. I will not make claims I am associated with the mission, because I wasn't. Nonetheless, this movie disappointed me to the point I fell asleep at the 1 hour mark. Without going into a rant, I would hope everyone understands the actual events. "Maya" didn't sacrifice anything; she did find UBL, but was well compensated financially the entire time she was looking. The basis of this movie is her work finding UBL, which makes my stomach turn. It's so easy to sit behind a keyboard and act like you are changing the world. Her line in the movie to "kill Bin Laden for me" will resonate until my death. I can promise you, UBL wasn't killed for Maya and it is pretty obvious that once he was found, the true heroes were summoned. Her remarks in the movie about "you guys showing up with your facial hair and dip" is so disullionist, it should be edited. She is a coward and her glorification in this movie sickens me.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #12,801 of 24,648
I tend to not like 3D, and did not see Oz in 3D. I only saw The Hobbit that way because I was curious about the high frame-rate. I did rate The Hobbit higher, though not by much: a 6/10.
Quote:
I searched for your rating on The Hobbit 3D but only found your commentary disliking the first third of the film etc.,pretty much mirroring how I felt about Oz...
My rating was 7.5/10 for The Hobbit and will admit to being an old Disney fan,I really enjoyed the fantastic ending of Oz the Great and Powerful 3D and gave it a scant .2 points higher.
I'm sure you would rate The Hobbit 3D higher ?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012): 8/10

Despite coming dangerously close to after-school special territory (which at least is lampshaded by one of the characters), this film largely transcends its occasionally overwrought drama thanks to its strong directing, performances, and sympathetic writing. Even if you don't see your high school self in this movie, you see people that you knew and probably loved, and I can imagine that many modern high school students will connect with this film in a powerful way.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #12,802 of 24,648
I tend to not like 3D, and did not see Oz in 3D.

Either 2D or 3D,I still think this is a quality Disney production,on a fun level.
Everything comes to life in 3D,particularly the Wizard's stunning arrival in the digitally animated Emerald City-the one flat thing in the movie.
You won't regret the 3D experience,as the visual envelope is pushed hard,you will be less likely to notice the sagging script.

I understand how some people find immersion into a 3D environment and details may be to the detriment of the film and narrative.
Depth of field can be overwhelming to the point of distraction.
I enjoy the advances in digital production and do not think they ruin the movie here.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #12,804 of 24,648
Quote:
Somebody is not happy about the claimed reality of the movie:

Complete and thorough Hollywood disconnection of reality, [size=smaller]9 February 2013[/size]
10.gif

[size=smaller]Author:[/size] i-amsamuel [size=smaller]from United States[/size]

I was a crewchief assigned to the Group that lifted the SEALS to Abbatobad. I will not make claims I am associated with the mission, because I wasn't. Nonetheless, this movie disappointed me to the point I fell asleep at the 1 hour mark. Without going into a rant, I would hope everyone understands the actual events. "Maya" didn't sacrifice anything; she did find UBL, but was well compensated financially the entire time she was looking. The basis of this movie is her work finding UBL, which makes my stomach turn. It's so easy to sit behind a keyboard and act like you are changing the world. Her line in the movie to "kill Bin Laden for me" will resonate until my death. I can promise you, UBL wasn't killed for Maya and it is pretty obvious that once he was found, the true heroes were summoned. Her remarks in the movie about "you guys showing up with your facial hair and dip" is so disullionist, it should be edited. She is a coward and her glorification in this movie sickens me.

Could you please shut up about it already?

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #12,806 of 24,648
I watched No Country for Old Men for the first time tonight.

It's most likely the best movie I've ever seen. The acting was superb throughout, the plot was unpredictable, and Javier Bardem was simply the most compelling and frightening villain I've seen on a screen. 

I thought Heath Ledger's Joker was insane, but Javier was simply pants-schiit inducing. I think I'll be running far away from anyone who even remotely resembles this:

images

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #12,807 of 24,648
Quote:
I watched No Country for Old Men for the first time tonight.

It's most likely the best movie I've ever seen. The acting was superb throughout, the plot was unpredictable, and Javier Bardem was simply the most compelling and frightening villain I've seen on a screen. 

I thought Heath Ledger's Joker was insane, but Javier was simply pants-schiit inducing. I think I'll be running far away from anyone who even remotely resembles this:

images

Agree 100%
For once I was actually scared. This character is one of the most psychotic villains I've seen.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #12,808 of 24,648
^ The Coen Brothers are brilliant. They always choose interesting material (this is based on a Cormac McCarthy novel.) You ought to watch "A Simple Man", also by the Coen Bros. It is very different from NCFOM, but their fingerprints are all over it, as is the case with all of their movies. There is just something unique about their films, all the way back to their first major release, "Blood Simple", that is almost instantly identifiable if you've seen their movies multiple times like me (especially "The Big Lebowski"). They sort of have their own film making grammar, if that makes sense. For me, it's like hearing the recognizable tone of Coltrane's tenor or a Keith Richards riff - I know it right away.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #12,810 of 24,648
Just saw the first Hobbit movie, entertaining and good visuals, but there were parts where the movie dragged.  7/10 (coming from a big Tolkien fan).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back