Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #12,781 of 24,648
The Imposter 10/10.

Documentary that reminds me of The usual suspects and Keyser Söze. I had my idea where it was going but still superb fun and really cool.
So good I suppose it has to be a mockumentary haven´t really done my research.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #12,782 of 24,648
Dredd - 6/10

Ruined by too much blood and guts. I stopped caring about any of it after about an hour. Some of the video quality (yes, I know why) was so awful I could never imagine paying for the Blu-Ray over the DVD.

Not much entertainment here and felt too similar to some video games. Would haven been much better as a video game..

What's sad is that the stallone version is better. Ok, not really, but at least it's entertaining and kind of funny in a stupid way. That one is almost so bad it's good.

I don't mind violent movies, but they overdid this. Didn't bother me really. Plenty of violent movies I love. For example, some of the Hong Kong action films such as "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled".

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,783 of 24,648
Quote:
Dredd - 6/10

Ruined by too much blood and guts. I stopped caring about any of it after about an hour. Some of the video quality (yes, I know why) was so awful I could never imagine paying for the Blu-Ray over the DVD.

Not much entertainment here and felt too similar to some video games. Would haven been much better as a video game..

What's sad is that the stallone version is better. Ok, not really, but at least it's entertaining and kind of funny in a stupid way. That one is almost so bad it's good.

I don't mind violent movies, but they overdid this. Didn't bother me really. Plenty of violent movies I love. For example, some of the Hong Kong action films such as "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled".

Wow..you're the odd one out I guess. The whole point of Dredd is that its bloody and violent. The movie doesn't care about anything else, and for once succeeds at that. 
It screams bad-ass. The most bad-ass entertainment I've had in a while.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12,784 of 24,648
Dredd is like a comic book in it's use of violence. The folks who are into this type of fake violence get it with Dredd. Tonight is Iron Fists. I guess I've been on a violence kick this year!

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #12,785 of 24,648
Station Agent - 10/10

Probably one of the better movies i've seen this year. One of the rare movies where I would have not changed a thing and loved every minute of it. Peter Dinklage is really a good actor. He was Miles Finch from "Elf" and he's also in "Game of Thrones" which I haven't seen. In this one he's like a total opposite of his character from ELF.

Got this on DVD from Barnes and Noble for under $6. It's the kind of movie I love..

Wow it has 95% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes out of 155 reviews. Not bad!

It's one of those hidden gems I keep trying to find. Never heard of this one until the director was talking about it on the "Elf" commentary.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #12,787 of 24,648
Quote:
One of my favorite films ever...I posted a review of it a while back on here, actually. Fantastic cast and a wonderful story. 

Some of it reminded of "Schultze Gets the Blues" from Germany.
That one is very slow, but it got stuck in my brain for years. It's the type of movie you have to watch all the way through.
Some people might not have the patience for it.

Somehow when people were mentioning "The Station Agent" I was confusing it for "The Last Station". Oops!

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12,788 of 24,648

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013) 3D 7.7/10

Spring break started today up here,so I decided to catch the early 4:30pm showing of Oz,in UltraAVX 3D,opening today.
Parents and the kiddies still managed to roll in,one young girl was dressed up as the Good Witch,just like a seasoned concert goer.

Most of us know that this prequel to the original Oz would never come close to the grandeur,specter and epic story of the the 1939 film.
For it is the story writing itself that is a tad thin in this 2013 adaptation.
The Wizard was portrayed as a philandering carne and I much preferred his new found flying monkey sidekick,Finley.
Mila Kunis as the Wicked Witch of the West stayed just to darn pretty in vocals and looks to really pull it off.

I was always expecting more from the actors and background sets,particularly the first cut to Emerald City,during the first third of the film.
One can hardly fault the effort to bring this to the table and in the end,it certainly does not disappoint as a spectacle of 3D images and figures.
More than good enough to truck the family in for a fine time.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12,789 of 24,648
Quote:

Some of it reminded of "Schultze Gets the Blues" from Germany.
That one is very slow, but it got stuck in my brain for years. It's the type of movie you have to watch all the way through.
Some people might not have the patience for it.

Somehow when people were mentioning "The Station Agent" I was confusing it for "The Last Station". Oops!

Wow, I remember wanting to see Schultze years ago but never did...thanks for the reminder!

I agree about the pacing aspect...some films have a more deliberate pacing that some view as slow. The example I often use is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I know many friends who said that this movie was boring, whereas I loved it. People expected an action flick, which it is not, and they weren't really able to get into it as a result. I loved every minute and it was one of my favorite films of that year. So I know exactly what you mean. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #12,790 of 24,648
No Country For Old Men

9+/10

Amazing script. Impeccable storypacing. Javier Bardem is the best actor in this movie, and arguably the best actor of ANY movie that came out that year. This'd have been a 10/10 if the ending hadnt felt so weird.

Highly recommended!

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #12,791 of 24,648
Oz the Great and Powerful (2013): 5/10

It's pretty to look at and has a few genuinely entertaining moments scattered throughout (and it manages to feel a lot shorter than it actually is), but poor scripting and borderline terrible acting and casting throughout (my god, was Mila Kunis *terrible* for this part) don't do it any favors. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #12,792 of 24,648
Oz the Great and Powerful (2013): 5/10
It's pretty to look at and has a few genuinely entertaining moments scattered throughout

I searched for your rating on The Hobbit 3D but only found your commentary disliking the first third of the film etc.,pretty much mirroring how I felt about Oz...
My rating was 7.5/10 for The Hobbit and will admit to being an old Disney fan,I really enjoyed the fantastic ending of Oz the Great and Powerful 3D and gave it a scant .2 points higher.
I'm sure you would rate The Hobbit 3D higher ?

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #12,793 of 24,648
Zero Dark Thirty struck me as a propaganda piece. If it were just a fictional story, I'd say it's a pretty good film - I enjoyed watching it because that's exactly what I think it is. If you think it's ridiculous that the CIA would be in bed with Hollywood in 2013, please watch Argo.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #12,794 of 24,648
Quote:
Zero Dark Thirty struck me as a propaganda piece. If it were just a fictional story, I'd say it's a pretty good film - I enjoyed watching it because that's exactly what I think it is. If you think it's ridiculous that the CIA would be in bed with Hollywood in 2013, please watch Argo.

I don't know. I think the film is just as focused on the cathartic nature of killing OBL. After all, the guy did take out thousands of Americans, so an American telling the story in this way shouldn't surprise you.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #12,795 of 24,648
Quote:
No Country For Old Men

9+/10

Amazing script. Impeccable storypacing. Javier Bardem is the best actor in this movie, and arguably the best actor of ANY movie that came out that year. This'd have been a 10/10 if the ending hadnt felt so weird.

Highly recommended!

Agreed, a 9.5/10 for me probably. The most striking thing about that film is that it doesn't have a soundtrack (not to say there's absolutely no music or something of the like in the film). That sort of realism was incredibly memorable for me, similar to the scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey where there was dead silence during the scenes set in space in the middle of the film. Another thing going for No Country is that Javier Bardem played probably the most bad-ass villain in film since Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back