Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #12,376 of 24,654
My Way
9.5/10 One of the best WWII based movies I have seen, seems sort of like it was meant to be a prequel to Saving Private Ryan but with a different story for the protagonists in the film.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #12,377 of 24,654
Quote:
I was pretty eager to see this given all the amazing feedback. Finally got around to seeing it last night. I did think it was really well done and it held my interest throughout. That being said, I have to disagree with some of the reviews that were REALLY effusive with praise. I thought it was a solid film that I enjoyed, but I wasn't totally blown away. Part of the problem was that it didn't feel completely fresh for me since it shares a similar plot to Raid: The Redemption, which is another very solid film. Having grown up on Stallone, Eastwood, and Arnie films, I really liked some of the one-liners that Dredd got to have some fun with. I felt Karl Urban did a find job in the role. 

"Dredd" - 8.4/10

Dredd 10/10
Maybe the only reason I rated it so high is the fact that I found it had a fresh look and an immersing combo of editing, story and acting. A shallow clock-work production is really all I  ever really enjoy in action movies. Dredd delivers it but may be a little shallow and lacking a quota of intellect for some viewers? Really the ultimate comic book movie!

Cloud Atlas 7/10
At 171 minutes, I'm sure glad I ate before it started. Also glad I didn't start it too late at night.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #12,378 of 24,654
Quote:

Cloud Atlas 7/10
At 171 minutes, I'm sure glad I ate before it started. Also glad I didn't start it too late at night.
wink.gif

Ha! I still haven't gotten back to it, I couldn't take it after 10 min, just random blabbering.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #12,379 of 24,654
I have been catching up with my bluray backlog. I just watched Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to Clash of the Titans. It was obviously designed for filming in 3D with swopping shots, sliding labyrinth insides and all the other visual glitter that studies think audiences want. It just made me feel a bit dizzy.

Pretty mediocre sequel to a slightly above average initial film. And why does Sam Worthington get all of these lead parts recently? The guy is terrible.

Still, it was pleasant eye candy and some of the special effects were quite impressive. A Friday evening popcorn movie.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #12,380 of 24,654
Quote:

Dredd 10/10
Maybe the only reason I rated it so high is the fact that I found it had a fresh look and an immersing combo of editing, story and acting. A shallow clock-work production is really all I  ever really enjoy in action movies. Dredd delivers it but may be a little shallow and lacking a quota of intellect for some viewers? Really the ultimate comic book movie!

I think I just didn't feel all that involved with the character...with some of the other comic type films, they get into back story and delve a bit more into who the character is, their motivations, their shortcomings, etc. I may have been more invested if they sort of got more into the man behind the mask. Just speculating here, cause it was a very solid movie, but I felt that I was more of a spectator whereas with other movies I really feel like I KNOW the character(s), if that makes any sense. But that's not a criticism, per se, just trying to account for why I may not have been as enthusiastic as others. I would love to see them put out another film, though...maybe even a prequel. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #12,381 of 24,654
Quote:

I think I just didn't feel all that involved with the character...with some of the other comic type films, they get into back story and delve a bit more into who the character is, their motivations, their shortcomings, etc. I may have been more invested if they sort of got more into the man behind the mask. Just speculating here, cause it was a very solid movie, but I felt that I was more of a spectator whereas with other movies I really feel like I KNOW the character(s), if that makes any sense. But that's not a criticism, per se, just trying to account for why I may not have been as enthusiastic as others. I would love to see them put out another film, though...maybe even a prequel. 

Well, the movie tries to keep professional and personal lives separate. I like that. Atleast its not forced. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #12,382 of 24,654
Quote:
Ha! I still haven't gotten back to it, I couldn't take it after 10 min, just random blabbering.

It takes a little effort at first. It's the most expensive independent film ever made in history. It's actually a very hard to pull off and complicated story to even attempt. I am glad I watched it. There is also some really funny parts that I will not list here only because I don't want to give em away!

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #12,383 of 24,654
Quote:

Call me jaded maybe, but I have not found a real love of action movies like I had when seeing Terminator 1. I'm still looking for those one liners and action surprises, so I'm sentimental when I see better lines than Batman. The thing is, maybe some folks have a better emotional connection when they can see a face acting and not a mask like Dredd. I just thought the tone of his voice and the results of his antics were cool. IMO.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,384 of 24,654

I really enjoyed it. Its more fun and child-like than LOTR, but it should be. Looking forward to part two.

8/10

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #12,386 of 24,654
Quote:
Call me jaded maybe, but I have not found a real love of action movies like I had when seeing Terminator 1. I'm still looking for those one liners and action surprises, so I'm sentimental when I see better lines than Batman. The thing is, maybe some folks have a better emotional connection when they can see a face acting and not a mask like Dredd. I just thought the tone of his voice and the results of his antics were cool. IMO.

I agree...my favorite line from Dredd was the scene where he's on the ground about to be shot by Judge Lex...I won't say it so as not to spoil it for anyone. But Karl Urban has an almost Eastwood-esque way of delivering a one liner...good stuff.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #12,387 of 24,654
The Hobbit seems to be sort of a love it or hate it movie at the moment. I think most of the people here have really enjoyed it though. I thought the second half of it was fantastic, but would probably rather get hit by a truck than watch the first half again--in my opinion, the first half was almost Star Wars Episode 1 bad. Opinions are pretty split on the 3-D and 48 fps, as well. I personally did not like the 48 fps, but the 3-D was fine, insofar as that sort of thing goes.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #12,388 of 24,654
I thought it was the best of the series... Lol

I really enjoyed The Hobbit. My favorite part was the singing of Misty Mountains at the beginning. Shame the vocal part isn't longer. Probably my favorite vocal style ever. Dark, brooding, epic.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #12,389 of 24,654
Quote:
I thought it was the best of the series... Lol

I really enjoyed The Hobbit. My favorite part was the singing of Misty Mountains at the beginning. Shame the vocal part isn't longer. Probably my favorite vocal style ever. Dark, brooding, epic.

Haha, it would become a musical if all the songs were to be included.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #12,390 of 24,654
The Misty Mountain song was admittedly cool. I was disappointed when it didn't go on for any longer than it did in the film's trailer. Not sure that the dishes song was necessary though.... I mean, I know that it's sort of a classic moment from the books, but film is a different medium entirely. What works well in one doesn't necessarily work well in the other--hence why Tom Bombadil was cut out of The Fellowship of the Ring. And why Radagast should have stayed out of The Hobbit, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back