Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #11,566 of 24,678
Of course we like what we like--but talking about and defending what we like is half the fun. And just because you're a fan of a franchise doesn't mean that you have like every bit of it. :p
Quote:
Hey.
You guys like what you like and no one else should sway you differently, but don't claim to be fan of the franchise when clearly you are not...

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #11,567 of 24,678
The fact that Prometheus was Directed by Ridley Scott made it that much better.

Totally agreed on this point, Scott's a genius.

I also agree that quite a bit of the Prometheus storyline fits into and answers many of the deeper questions posed by the original trilogy. Some of this might not be apparent upon first viewing, or if there are unrealistic expectations going in.

LMAO will the trolling ever stop.

You are most welcome to you opinion

Hmm, who's trolling here? Anybody that disagrees with Mr. Huckleberry?

Again when you post a totally negative review right after somebody says how much they love a film, that's the definition of trolling for a reaction. So long as you continue to do that, a reaction is what you will get.

It's fun to debate personal opinion, but don't call it trolling: that's the "pot calling the kettle black".
:rolleyes:

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #11,568 of 24,678
Quote:
I also agree that quite a bit of the Prometheus storyline fits into and answers many of the deeper questions posed by the original trilogy. Some of this might not be apparent upon first viewing, or if there are unrealistic expectations going in.

I think that was a lot of the negitive reviews. People expected another "Alien" movie, but were presented with a back story about the "space jockey" instead.
Aliens, Alien 3, and Resurrection never answered the question of who the space jockeys were or how they came across the Alien(xeno).
I mean Alien goes through this whole production of finding an ancient ship crashed on a moon with bad things in it and then leaves you high and dry as to who they were. 2, 3, and 4 never answered the question. Prometheus was great!

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #11,569 of 24,678
I liked Prometheus, but I also found it to be extremely frustrating in some aspects--not a lot of what was going on at any given moment made a whole lot of sense to me. The below video sums up my thoughts as I was exiting the theatre pretty perfectly (Some NSFW language):

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #11,570 of 24,678

I think that was a lot of the negitive reviews. People expected another "Alien" movie, but were presented with a back story about the "space jockey" instead.
Aliens, Alien 3, and Resurrection never answered the question of who the space jockeys were or how they came across the Alien(xeno).
I mean Alien goes through this whole production of finding an ancient ship crashed on a moon with bad things in it and then leaves you high and dry as to who they were. 2, 3, and 4 never answered the question. Prometheus was great!

It also sets up nicely for more sequels, and hopefully a showdown between the Engineers and humans at some point. It's brilliant on it's own, and not only fits right into the mythology but expands upon it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #11,571 of 24,678
Vivre sa vie : film en douze tableaux / My Life to Live: 8/10.

Jarring, intense cinematography. Clinical, yet soothing. Cold while still getting burned.

Frankly: I don't know what to make of this movie, but it's interesting nonetheless. Like watching the great-grandmother of Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction or something.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #11,572 of 24,678
Hey.
You guys like what you like and no one else should sway you differently, but don't claim to be fan of the franchise when clearly you are not...

Hmm, who's trolling here? Anybody that disagrees with Mr. Huckleberry?It's fun to debate personal opinion........".
:rolleyes:

The thing here is gentlemen. I have already acknowledged your love for this moive. The differenc is that you guys say I am "free to my opinion" yet try to shred each and every point that I don't like about the movie. I don't take the points that you like about it and just try to prove you wrong for liking them. This whole discussion starts on my comments on the REASON I DON'T like it. Not the REASON YOU DO LIKE IT. I am not trying to tell you guys you are wrong for the things you admire about the movie, yet you both have to keep going until you feel you are satisfied that I am wrong. So no in your minds I am not free to my opinion. My opinion is no good to either of you. I can see why you like the movie and I don't see why you shouldn't.

For example saying that I am not an alien fan because I don't like Prometheus makes absolutely no sense. It is a personal insult on my taste and love for the original movies. I am not directing comments like that toward either of you. I don't like Promethheus for the specific resons I stated. I loved Alien. I loved Aliens. It is an illogical statement that I can't be a fan of the franchise if I don't like that one movie and directed at me to create more of an arguement.

In any case. I am pretty much ready to move onto another movie.... I am sure eventually we might even come across one that even us 3 all like.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11,573 of 24,678
Forgot to rate this one earlier. Saw it in theaters.
Premium Rush - 5/10
A hipster action movie. A decently enjoyable film, but generally lackluster and underwhelming. I enjoyed Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance.

I just took a look at Premium Rush (2012) and grade it a bit higher 6.7/10
My ride is on a Kurt Kinetic trainer stand for the winter now.
If you cycle at all,you will easily enjoy some aspects of this movie.
Reminds me of when I am downtown Toronto and stop in at a coffee house called Jet Fuel on Parliament St.,all the bike courier hustle is there.
A non linear timeline keeps the action flowing along nicely throughout New York City.

Lawless(2012) . 8/10.i really enjoyed that movie.
my only criticism is that the prodcucer was cheap.the shots were only taken in 3-4 places the whole movie which i thought was poor with no diversity.

Lawless (2012) 7.5/10
I'll put in a plug for this good man on man violence film,revolving around the Virginia moonshine years.
Ha,never really gave the three scene observation much thought but yah,it was the homestead,in town and a bridge-too funny.

Late in watching The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 7.9/10

Now this film had exactly what was missing missing in Skyfall,the futuristic working prototypes to fight crime.
Fortunately for the classic Aston Martin in Skyfall there wasn't a car chase,it would have been an embarrassingly slow one.
Old Alfred and M are enough throwback for these movies.
Watching Tom Hardy in Lawless and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Premium Rush was a good warm up for Dark Knight Rises.
Is just me or did anyone else find that masked Bain character sounding like the Dutch Goldmember character with Austin Powers (Meyers)?
Anne Hathaway did not pull off the role as Catwoman,in strength or emotion and brought the film down a point.
Especially after being duped by that fraudster that was deported back to Italy this year.
Catwoman would have none of that,or Rock the Vote either.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #11,574 of 24,678
I agree with the Doc that you can certainly love a franchise but hate an entry. Take the Matrix films for example. I refuse to even ACKNOWLEDGE anything beyond the first two, but the original film is one of my top ten sci-fi films EVER. I've probably seen it in part or in whole about 30 times. I definitely don't think one is obligated to making nothing but positive comments about every film within a franchise, else be accused of being hypocritical or whatever else. I always evaluate films on an individual basis...I think that's the best way to do it. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #11,575 of 24,678
Agree with this 100%. Another prime example would be the Star Wars films lol.
Quote:
I agree with the Doc that you can certainly love a franchise but hate an entry. Take the Matrix films for example. I refuse to even ACKNOWLEDGE anything beyond the first two, but the original film is one of my top ten sci-fi films EVER. I've probably seen it in part or in whole about 30 times. I definitely don't think one is obligated to making nothing but positive comments about every film within a franchise, else be accused of being hypocritical or whatever else. I always evaluate films on an individual basis...I think that's the best way to do it. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #11,576 of 24,678
Quote:
Agree with this 100%. Another prime example would be the Star Wars films lol.

Yep, that's for sure lol. 

Oh, and I meant to say that I don't acknowledge any of the Matrix films after the first one....not the first two. I hated Reloaded and Revolutions....huge disappointments. Loved the way it was left after the original. In fact, Im really wanting to see it yet again! 

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #11,577 of 24,678
Quote:
Oh come now, drugs aren't *that* bad. :p

I just feel like The American is a more superbly crafted film than your average 'professional killer' movie. Its painfully exacting focus (which yes, is not on the action) makes its characters as impenetrable as they are fascinating--on top of which it's a considerably more stressful movie than anything in the Bond or Bourne franchise. Bond and Bourne both blow things up better, it's true. Nothing wrong with that. I just think that The American takes a more 'realistic' approach--I imagine being a hired killer is a lot more like this than it like Bond. A lot more waiting around. A lot more killing time. When violence does happen, it happens quick, and is over in a flash. I dunno--it's hard to put my finger on it. It just has a slow-motion jive to it that I appreciate, and it does not lack in subtlety, something most films of this 'genre' don't possess at all. Not to mention it's a gorgeous film. And Clooney is a gorgeous man, so that helps. ::shrugs::

Anyways, back to my drugs!

The drug comment wasn't really aimed at liking "The American", but more preferring it to the Bourne and Bond movies. I watched it and I didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people did, but I certainly wouldn't place it as high on my list as those other two franchises. 
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #11,578 of 24,678
Quote:
I liked Prometheus, but I also found it to be extremely frustrating in some aspects--not a lot of what was going on at any given moment made a whole lot of sense to me. The below video sums up my thoughts as I was exiting the theatre pretty perfectly (Some NSFW language):

The Greek title (Prometheus) refers to the Titan who first created man from clay. My one question was why if they made us in the start of the film did they want to destroy all of us in the end?
Most movies have a lot that does not make logical sense. Prometheus in many ways asks more questions than it answers. Much of the so-called tie-ins with the following films, as it's a prequel, have zero continuity from a conceptual or aesthetic standpoint. The film really makes very little logical sense but can only be watched as a strange fable, not a detective mystery.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #11,580 of 24,678
They did have a more complete script that made more sense. For whatever reason they started to hack it though. To much for my taste. Not only that there is questions a lot of the actions are not explained and don´t make sense. Which is why it´s still being discussed I imagine. Ultimate troll movie. I was hoping for a DC but from what I been told there is not much more material then what they released as extra. And which should be discarded pretty much from what I been told. I will see Christmas though. Amazon had some black friday so I got the bluray 3D version together with some others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back