Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #10,741 of 24,645

4 out of 10

Conquer Worm and Original Wickerman both way way better.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #10,742 of 24,645
Aug 24, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #10,743 of 24,645
Try Treasure Island instead. the new remake was absolutely splendid. Then tried to watch the tv-series with bale in the 90s but since it obviously is a straight remake pretty much it feels a bit redundant :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #10,746 of 24,645
Ironclad. Paul Giamattis' acting. Didn't think he had it in him. I look at that guy in a different light... 7/10

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #10,747 of 24,645
John Carter, 5/10. Typical Disney, can't make a movie without trying to manipulate political emotions. It was made well enough, but I discounted my rating to average because I'm getting tired of the "white man conquers/saves an inferior culture/colored race and becomes their leader" paradigm. I really wanted to like this movie, it's right up my (sci-fi/classic literature) alley, but because of its subtle racist themes I could not.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #10,750 of 24,645
Agree with opinion on Carter.

Bit of a shame that it was done in the present brainless, plotless, proper actorless, but never mind we can stick some 3-D in and they'll lap it up, era.
Everyone will think of it as a very bad copy of Avatar (which I found to be a bit of a preachy snore...) yet it really was the prototype, by quite a long way.

Just think, if they'd done John Carter round about the same time as the early Tarzans, Edgar RB would have got brownie points for inventing 2 classic genres. (Whuch, he did relly, did he no, eh?...* )

*Belatedly discovered Gary: Tank Commander. (BBC Scotland, Never transmitted in England) Highly recommended. Clips a-gogo on YT

Got the 1st 2 series offy Amazon   Ah've bin talkin' wi a Fife accent aw' week

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #10,752 of 24,645
Wow, just found this thread....nice to see movie lovers at head-fi!

So here is my first contribution to this thread and the last movie I saw (although I will have another contribution shortly!)

As a child of the 80s, I grew up watching Mel. Many of his films are among my all-time favorites, with Braveheart being a top-5. This movie allowed some of that old Gibson charisma to hit the screen gain, minus any remnants of his psychotic side that you see so often in the news. You will need to check your disbelief at the door and just allow yourself to go with it if you're going to enjoy this one, and I promise that if you can succeed in that you're in for a fun ride. 

My overall rating for this film would be an 8.0/10.  

*A note on my ratings: I rate films in terms of what they're trying to be. In other words, Just because I give something like Bubba Ho-Tep a 9.2/10 and Casablanca an 8.5/10 doesn't mean Bubba is in the same league as Casablanca in terms of great cinema. It means that for a "redemptive Elvis movie where Elvis fights a Mummy that is terrorizing a nursing home", it was pretty damn good. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #10,753 of 24,645
Quote:
The Hunter

9/10 if you're in the mood for it, 7/10 if you don't like slower, more cerebral movies.

Excellent film....

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #10,754 of 24,645
I've been expanding my DVD/Bluray collection lately, so here's a short roundup:

Not my favourite Chaplin, but still highly enjoyable. 7/10

Seen it for the third or fourth time, still awesome. Quite possibly the best Noir ever made. 10/10

Terriffic photography here, although the plot is a bit predictable. Worth seeing in any case! 8/10

captain-blood_4011.jpg

THE pirate film! It doesn't quite live up to the novel it's based on, but still a great swashbuckler. 9/10

Can't make my mind up about this one. Immensely influental to be sure, and there were many memorable scenes - but the often goofy acting was somewhat distracting. 7/10

Good costume drama with a brilliant ending and great acting. 8/10

I was really impressed by this one. Makes you think about how quickly humans can turn into beasts... 9/10

The opening scene was brilliant! Afterwards the thing gets a bit obscure, but still enjoyable. 7/10

Meh. This could have been so much better - I constantly thought I was watching a stage play, but it just didn't work on a sceen. 4/10

I love Hitchcock, and this is probably one of his best. 9/10

Yes, I like old films.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #10,755 of 24,645
Here's another one I just finished...very intense film about the final days of Hitler as he bunkers down in Berlin. WWII is an event that I have always taken an interest in, as my family is filled with proud veterans from that war, mainly from the USMC. I'm proud to have been able to spend so much time with grandparents and great aunts and uncles who all went through this together as a family. 

This film is very well acted and based on true events. 

My rating for this film is an 8.8/10 and one of my top recommendations for foreign language films over the past several years.

Although not really a WWII film (though not entirely unrelated), the standard for me in terms of recent foreign films would have to be The Lives of Others. This is a film I've recommended quite often and I feel it's one that should not be missed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back