Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #10,681 of 24,645
On that note, =]   

I just watched Sharkwater 2 nights ago.  The filmmaking was kind of sub-par, but it's an important documentary and probably the only one of it's kind.

9/10 for highlighting previously unhighlighted subject matter.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #10,682 of 24,645
Hunger Games - 6/10

The books are nothing more than page turners, but they do their job well. I enjoyed the first one, haven't finished the second one yet because I got bored. The film adaptation obviously leaves out a lot of detail, but the overall execution was fairly well done. I was happy with the performance of the girl who played Katniss, and Peta was definitely not what I was imagining in my head while reading, but he played the part alright. I didn't like Gale's character--too Jacob from Twilight for me. I pictured him as less of a Ken doll and more of a gritty hunter. Oh well, small details. Overall, not a must see, but mildly entertaining if you've read the book.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #10,683 of 24,645
Mindless entertainment is the way I'd describe it. My problem with the movie was the lack of character development. You didn't have a single emotional tie to any of the characters...so it was pretty much 'Oh, there goes another one.' as far as deaths go. 

Quote:
Hunger Games - 6/10

The books are nothing more than page turners, but they do their job well. I enjoyed the first one, haven't finished the second one yet because I got bored. The film adaptation obviously leaves out a lot of detail, but the overall execution was fairly well done. I was happy with the performance of the girl who played Katniss, and Peta was definitely not what I was imagining in my head while reading, but he played the part alright. I didn't like Gale's character--too Jacob from Twilight for me. I pictured him as less of a Ken doll and more of a gritty hunter. Oh well, small details. Overall, not a must see, but mildly entertaining if you've read the book.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #10,684 of 24,645
Exactly. The book does a fine job with character development, but just like the Twilight series, the film adaptation left out too much detail, making it a superficial story. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #10,686 of 24,645
Piranha 3D... 1/10 if it wasn´t for the boobies. However that said it´s easy watching. Maybe because of the boobies though... But the horror is 1/10. The piranhas is not scary. Sharks, snakes, octopussies or whatever why piranhas? Tired gore and so so humour. Not horrible acting or script a bit over michael bay class but not much more.

Something more pretentious next. The Artist :wink:

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #10,687 of 24,645
The Dark Knight Rises - 2/10

What a crap... tons of Oscar awarded actors in a movie that seemed to me like a cheap B movie from the 90s... ridiculous plot.

I really liked Batman Begins and The Dark Knight... but this third part was just substandard. Shame on you Mr. Nolan!!!

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #10,688 of 24,645
but...the plot to batman begins AND the dark knight were both silly and B movie worthy. The plot isn't what made the movies good, the acting and filming are what did.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #10,691 of 24,645
L'homme qui crie (A Screaming Man) 

A French film about a man's struggle to relinquish his identity or sacrifice everything he cares for in order to preserve it. By the end it leaves you contemplating about what you would do under impossible circumstances and about the unforeseeable consequences of your actions. 

It is short ~ 1:30:00 and has a rapidly moving plot, so it isn't too demanding attention-wise. It showcases parts of Africa and the life of individuals there. As long as you can get over a foreign language and subtitles, I would recommend this movie as a thought provoking experience.

8/10

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #10,694 of 24,645
Amadeus (1984) - 8/10

Antonia Salieri, old, likely insane, and having just attempted suicide, confesses to a priest how he had killed Mozart.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #10,695 of 24,645
Quote:
Up in the Air - 8/10
Wonderful movie. A very unique and satisfying exploration of loneliness, estrangement, homelessness (not in the traditional sense), and unemployment.

Agree with that. Clooney's acting in the last few movies he's been in has been quite good. Too bad about "The American". I need to watch "Michael Clayton" again.
I guess in the wrong movie he can annoy me. Like in the Oceans 11 movies..

I didn't know this but he was the producer of "Far From Heaven" which is very good. I like the All State Guy in it. Too bad he hasn't been in many movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back