Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #10,486 of 24,645
Wait are you saying Watchmen has depth? I felt like it was like 300 very nice visuals/surface but not that much depth.  But may see it again sometime. Don´t know who is the hotest the latex chick or the giant naked blue guy :)

There so much depth to the characters. I do wish they'd touched on backstory a bit more but that's what the newer comics are for.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #10,487 of 24,645
Quote:
It does take two or three times watching the movie to fully understand everything. It's one of my favourite moveis ever! Don't understand why people hate it (everything you need to know to understand the movie is IN the movie, just watch it!) 7.5/10

If a movie that is 3 hours long takes more than one viewing to comprehend, you're doing it wrong.

On topic:

Platoon - 8.5/10

Underworld - 6.5/10

Just Go With It - 2/10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 8/10

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #10,488 of 24,645
Quote:
Watchmen (Director's cut)
3/10

I'm one of the very few too who found the entire movie a tedious bore. I wanted to leave, but the visuals were the only thing that kept me in my seat.
I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just not for me.

Inception had that impression on me too. You couldn't pay me to watch that again.

I'm not a moron with a short attention span. I can watch the most boring movies without complaining, so I wonder why those bored me to death? I think it could be that I didn't like any of the characters.

BTW has anyone watched "Flowers of Shanghai" or "Goodbye Dragon Inn"? Those are tough to sit through.

In the 2nd one you get to see a man take 15 minutes to walk up some stairs. There's also a 5 minute scene of a man taking a leak.

Also... to make myself look like an even bigger idiot, I found most of "The Dark Knight" to be a snore fest too. How is this possible? I don't have a clue why, but some of it sure was nice to look at.
And no, I could care less about tons of action and explosions...

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10,489 of 24,645
I didn't like Watchmen either. To me it was more of a drama than an action superhero movie.

If you turn the X-Men into a soap opera it would be exactly like Watchmen 

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,490 of 24,645
It's funny how whenever a movie requires you to pay attention and think, people automatically hate it. The majority of moviegoers would rather sit back and watch big explosions and mind numbingly simple plot lines. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #10,491 of 24,645
To me, The Watchmen was a brilliant comic book saga targeted at adults. Yes a soap opera, but with graphic, visceral violence and a more mature subject matter than is typically found in the superhero/villain genre.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #10,492 of 24,645
I also found The Dark Knight to be quite boring. It went on for about 40 minutes longer than it should have. On the other hand, I really really liked Inception and found Watchmen to be decent (noting that I had read the comic book beforehand).
Quote:

I'm one of the very few too who found the entire movie a tedious bore. I wanted to leave, but the visuals were the only thing that kept me in my seat.
I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just not for me.

Inception had that impression on me too. You couldn't pay me to watch that again.

I'm not a moron with a short attention span. I can watch the most boring movies without complaining, so I wonder why those bored me to death? I think it could be that I didn't like any of the characters.

BTW has anyone watched "Flowers of Shanghai" or "Goodbye Dragon Inn"? Those are tough to sit through.

In the 2nd one you get to see a man take 15 minutes to walk up some stairs. There's also a 5 minute scene of a man taking a leak.

Also... to make myself look like an even bigger idiot, I found most of "The Dark Knight" to be a snore fest too. How is this possible? I don't have a clue why, but some of it sure was nice to look at.
And no, I could care less about tons of action and explosions...

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #10,493 of 24,645
Quote:
It's funny how whenever a movie requires you to pay attention and think, people automatically hate it. The majority of moviegoers would rather sit back and watch big explosions and mind numbingly simple plot lines. 

I highly doubt that's the case here, but I get your point.

I remember in "Cast Away", when there was no dialogue for the first 10 minutes a guy behind me actually said "Well, this is fun..." as if he wasn't getting enough entertainment.

What's worse is when people cry about subtitles. I mean it takes me like no time to read subtitles and i'm no speed reader. I like the comments like "Then I have to keep looking down all the time!". What?!

I think even the most trouble provoking movie in the world can bore me to death if the character development, story or dialogue is bad. I think one reason I disliked Watchmen and Inception is that I don't like the director's movies that much.
I did love Zack Snyder's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" though. Not even a horror movie fan at all. I couldn't finish "Sucker Punch". 300 was watchable.

BTW I'm curious though, what movie to everyone is the most boring one you've ever seen? I rarely get bored by movies, but the only one that comes to find recently is "Ulysee's Gaze".

I remember about 10 years ago I saw a list of the most boring movies ever made and made an effort to watch all of them! I must be the only one in the world who gets bored to tears by 90% of Akira Kurosawa's, but loves every minute of the Yasujiro Ozu stuff.

I also can't stand "La Dolce Vita" and anything by John Ford. Not even "Stagecoach" or "The Grapes of Wrath". Not a fan of Ingmar Bergman either.

Has anyone seen anything by Andrei Tarkovsky? I've yet to be able to finish any of his movies.

Worst thing you can do is avoid an old classic after your brain lies to you and makes you think it'll probably be boring. I did that with "Lawrence of Arabia" for about 10 years.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #10,494 of 24,645
Quote:

Just a generalization. For me, I enjoy re-watching watchmen to find the details that I missed (before I read the comic).

In one of my classes recently, we watched Citizen Kane and the majority of students complained that nothing happened! I sat there perplexed, wondering how a movie that covers the entire life of a man and used groundbreaking new filming techniques, while satirizing a real life figure (don't even get me started on Rosebud!) could be seen as boring. I couldn't understand how these obviously intelligent people could completely misunderstand such a great movie. 

I think the reason Inception , Dark Knight were boring is that Christopher Nolan doesn't know how to end a movie. I love his movie concepts and his style is amazing, but time and time again he drags out his ideas until either 1) the viewer is bored to tears or 2) the movie begins to stop making sense. An example of this is Memento. The concept was amazing and very intriguing. But by the time Nolan ended the movie I'd already figured out the ending and was begging for the movie to end.

Recently, most boring would be Amazing Spiderman imo. 

Here's a question: In your opinion, what's the best movie ever made?

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #10,495 of 24,645
I enjoyed Batman Begins more then Dark Knight. I have seen Batman Begins like 5 times by now. Used it as reference material also but it´s been fun to watch every single time. Dark Knight should have been cut down some but I would never say it´s totally booring.

As for most booring movie hard to say because it´s one of those I just couldn´t see through. It depend on which mood I am in also. Sometimes I don´t quite as patience for Tcharkovskiy style movies. Stalker is a superb movie but it taked to attempts to see it through because the pace is impressively slow. Which helps with the atmosphere and get your head spinning so it´s not really a critique.

D-wars has to be it though. It´s just so awful but it´s almost entertaining how bad it´s.

I am running the Hunter now. Compare it to Call of Duty the Hunter is a really deep experience and much more rewarding then the instant frag Call of Duty mindless idiocy. But really I can see not everyone has the patience to wait the 40h before you are able to get your first dear or whatever you are hunting if you don´t understand what hunting is about. Yes it´s partly trophy hunting but a lot just about walking the forest and whats happening while trekking :). Some movies just do the latter and some just the former. The best do both but that´s really tricky.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #10,496 of 24,645

I remember in "Cast Away", when there was no dialogue for the first 10 minutes a guy behind me actually said "Well, this is fun..." as if he wasn't getting enough entertainment.

That's why I like to go on weekdays, weeks after the movie is released, when all the plebs are still in the mines.  But...on a more understanding note: it's just the way people are.  Most people don't want to be stimulated.  They slave around doing whatever it is that they do and at the end of the day they just want to watch something nut-brained.  Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

You couldn't get most of them to watch something like Before Sunrise, which is just two hours of two people walking around Paris and having a conversation.  I liked that movie.

Quote:
What's worse is when people cry about subtitles. I mean it takes me like no time to read subtitles and i'm no speed reader. I like the comments like "Then I have to keep looking down all the time!". What?!

Yup.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #10,497 of 24,645
On a slightly different off-topic, anyone here watch movies using their HD800s?  I try not to get distracted but it's hard not to with this phone picking apart the audio the way it does.  Watching Batman Begins for example, the quieter moments are fine, but once the explosions hit, you realize how compressed and lackluster the audio is.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #10,499 of 24,645
Star Wars: A New Hope (Blu Ray) - 8/10

Not my favorite Star Wars film, but still decent. I forgot how much I hated Luke Skywalker in this film. Ugh, what a whiner! The Blu Ray is pretty stunning though. Very good release. Looking forward to watching the others in coming days.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #10,500 of 24,645
Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present
Competent. I felt the summary of the artist's career was too "sketch-y", as in there was not much in depth exploration of her work. The profundity of her performances seemed forced and unconvincing. 6/10

Moonrise Kingdom
A beautiful, pretty, charming movie. An excellent soundtrack. Very pretty cinematography. Great depiction of childhood and friendship. Gave me Bridge to Terabithia vibes. 8/10

The Amazing Spiderman
Good visuals. Entertaining although perhaps a bit long. Not groundbreaking or especially impressive, but it certainly seemed to accomplish what it set out to accomplish. 6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back