Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #10,127 of 24,634
"Ocean Heaven"  - 7/10.  IMO a lot of Chinese films goes overboard with the melodrama, and this film is no exception.  However, I must say it was nice seeing Jet Li play a very serious and convincing role; he did it well.  It is a touching story about a father who discovers about his terminal liver cancer too late and within what little time he has left, tries to find a place for his 22 year old autistic son and at the same time tries to teach him to live on his own.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10,130 of 24,634
The Hunger Games - A really engaging film. One of the few times that I actively wished for a movie to not end. The shaky camerawork at the beginning was sort of bothersome, but it either went away or I got used to it relatively quickly. I got the book the day after because I really wanted to stay involved in the fiction. There were some corny and overdone parts, not to mention the premise itself is pretty silly, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film from beginning to end. Would have been better if it was rated R! 8/10

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #10,132 of 24,634
The Darkest Hour - 5/10

The film had some engaging moments, but was let down by a weak storyline. Still, I always enjoy movies such as this one - silly fun. :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #10,134 of 24,634
Marley (2012) - 8/10

Revealing documentary about the revolutionary Rasta Bob Marley, and a must for those curious about him. There are some really eccentric looking characters in the film such as Bunny Wailer and Lee "Scratch" Perry, both of whom sure know how to dress to make an impression. :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #10,135 of 24,634
The Avengers = 4/10

Great CG, soundtrack, action sequence and some simple-minded but funny scenes. Ultimately has a very poor plot and shallow script. Even when I turned my brain off, I still wasn't able to look pass its flaws. I keep thinking that it's a movie for children, no offense to those who actually like it. Got bored and regretted buying the ticket halfway into the film.

Jo Nesbo: Headhunters = 8/10

Great Norwegian film, with black humour, fast paced plot and smooth slick acting. A few twists to keep the viewer on their toes. Certainly more mentally engaging than Avengers and has actually good dialog. Ending is a bit flawed but until then the movie holds up very well to its own.

Hunger Games = 6/10

Interesting movie, although I never read the book it seemed to portray the story quite well. Some scenes are better described in a whole chapter of a book but the long-ish screen time kinda makes up for it. I understand why some people may find it boring but its because it should really be taken like a book with plenty of room for imagination rather than a movie which spoonfeeds the viewer with every information available.

On an slightly related note, I have started watching the TV series 'Breaking Bad' and now into season 4 I'm giving it a 9/10. Absolutely superb.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #10,137 of 24,634

Quote:

On an slightly related note, I have started watching the TV series 'Breaking Bad' and now into season 4 I'm giving it a 9/10. Absolutely superb.

We've been on a kick of trying out some of the cable series we miss by not having television in our house.  I'm just on Season 2 of Breaking Bad.  I'd agree, great series, but for now I'll limit my enthusiasm to an 8/10 coming off of watching the first season of The Killing, which I'd give a solid 9/10 and Justified just shy of 9/10.  It took a few episodes to get into Breaking Bad, but it hooks you for sure.  Anyway, check out those other two series if you're enjoying Breaking Bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back