Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #10,112 of 24,653
"The Descendants" - 9/10.  This is Clooney's best performance yet and tops "Up".  A very good script and funny at all the right moments.  The pace is very well done and doesn't leave the mind wondering "what's next?"  So far, this is the best movie I've seen this year.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #10,113 of 24,653
"Enter The Void" 10/10: Visually stunning, great cinematography, fun and "trippy". It's quite hard to describe what the story of this movie is (If there really is one)
It's seriously just more of a journey. Been a fan of Gaspar Noe and he did not disappoint.
(Also, recommend "Irréversible" Cinematography is quite similar to ETV but much more dark and gritty.
If you'd like a movie that pushes you to watch don't pass this one up). **May want to look the movie up first before watching if you're "easily" offended or perhaps grossed out**

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #10,116 of 24,653
"Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close" [9.8/10]: (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT) What a great movie! I didn't go see this in the theater partly because I thought that the title was stupid. Oh well, proves you can't go by a title. I was totally engaged in the story. Several subtle but masterful performances. It was the story though. Just a great story...the only reason that I didn't give it a "10" is because I wanted to know what was in the box!

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10,117 of 24,653

Quote:
"Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close" [9.8/10]: (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT) What a great movie! I didn't go see this in the theater partly because I thought that the title was stupid. Oh well, proves you can't go by a title. I was totally engaged in the story. Several subtle but masterful performances. It was the story though. Just a great story...the only reason that I didn't give it a "10" is because I wanted to know what was in the box!

Boy, that film was a huge disappointment for me as a big fan of Foer's writing, and that book in particular.  I didn't think it translated as well to the screen as the previous effort to make one of his books into a film, Everything is Illuminated, which I enjoyed much more than this film.  Either way, his books are brilliant and you might want to give them a read, and if you liked this, also try Everything is Illuminated...you'll probably see a few parallels in the stories as well as the writing style.  Anyway, not dissing your review....just another perspective.  Glad you enjoyed it.  

Difficult for me to watch, was a recent film, Tyrannosaur.  Difficult as I really abhor depictions of violence to animals...especially dogs, and there were two very disturbing ones in this film (it starts out with one).  It also had a very disturbing theme, two people affected in different yet similar ways by loss and violence and abuse.  The acting is powerful throughout some very challenging material, as is directing and the writing.  I might give it an 8...perhaps even better, but have to chop something off for a very personal objection to the violence towards dogs. 7/10.  Even though the violence and abuse around people is just as disturbing, if not more so, it's the dogs...the innocents, that really gets to me and I just can't shake that.  If you have a similar response to such things, I'd suggest steering way clear of this film as those two scenes are not easily forgotten.  This is not in any way an uplifting movie, even in what little glimmer of redemption it may offer.  It is powerful and insightful though, and if you like a story and performances that stick with you...well, then I'd recommend it highly (provided you can get past the violence). 

Finished season one of, The Killing.  I'll bump up my initial rating to 9/10 - as WarriorAnt suggested, it just gets better.  I hear the new season is running now.  Don't watch it without having seen the first season as it is a chronological series. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #10,120 of 24,653

Quote:
Quote:

Boy, that film was a huge disappointment for me as a big fan of Foer's writing, and that book in particular.  I didn't think it translated as well to the screen as the previous effort to make one of his books into a film, Everything is Illuminated, which I enjoyed much more than this film.  Either way, his books are brilliant and you might want to give them a read, and if you liked this, also try Everything is Illuminated...you'll probably see a few parallels in the stories as well as the writing style.  Anyway, not dissing your review....just another perspective.  Glad you enjoyed it.  

That's OK, I have never read any of Foer's writing. A situation I might have to remedy. I was impressed with the film though...

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10,121 of 24,653
That film surprised me too.  I thought I was going to hate it from the previews and was actually intent on skipping over it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #10,123 of 24,653
A Night to Remember - 7.75/10

If you don't know, this is an old movie about the sinking of the Titanic..it's from 1963 I believe.

Bought the Criterion blu-ray of this and felt it was worth it. The thing about this movie is that it makes me almost annoyed with the James Cameron version.
All the 1st class people in this movie make me sick and I wanted to smack them all! Nobody can really be like they were in the movie...
Being in a rescue boat complaining they're cold when all the lower class passengers are dying.

With the James Cameron version, it's as if they left out a ton of things that really happened. Then the whole idea that there was another ship about 10 miles away and could be seen.
Both versions have a lot of stuff in them that are historically accurate.

This one has more of a documentary like feel and not very dramatic, which is nice sometimes. I wouldn't call the first hour very entertaining, but at least the acting is decent unlike from the two main roles in "Titanic".

BTW what's amusing is that this release is B&W and has better video quality than my ancient DVD of Titanic. Pretty sad...they need to make a small fortune off the 3D version first, then release the Blu-Ray a year later.

The idea of the Titanic in 3D kind of makes me sick. What's next..a 3D version of "Saving Private Ryan"?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #10,125 of 24,653
Act of Valor 8/10 good movie but too short and kinda funny cuz I could understand the terrorist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back