Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #8,776 of 24,654
super - 7.5/10 - Daaaaaaaark comedy.. pretty demented really, but well done, and different.

ong bak 3 - 4/10 - didnt hold a candle to the first 2.  not much fighting, boring storyline.. dissapointing.

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #8,777 of 24,654

Quote:
Idi i smotri (Come and See). It was made in 1985 and directed by Elem Klimov.

Great comments. It was macabre in the beginning seeing the boys digging through buried battle remains, looking to find a stray rifle and ammunition, and hoping to join the partisans. That was only the beginning.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #8,779 of 24,654
Drive - 7/10.  Michael Mann meets The Notebook.

Straw dogs - 6/10

Contagion - 7/10.  Pretty one note and mainstream for Soderburgh.  M. Night Shamylan must really be in the dog house.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #8,780 of 24,654
Dr. Strangelove, 10/10

A longtime favorite and I've seen it many times. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out on a true classic. It has a sneaky way of staying relevant. Watching it tonight, it brings up a few creepy reminders of today's politics.

Oh, I watched it because I snagged a copy for $15 at BestBuy today. I was so excited to find it there! (By the way, they had all seasons of Mad Men on sale for $10 each (I got seasons 3 and 4) so if you're a fan, I've never seen them cheaper.) I could hardly wait until the sun went down so I could kill the AC and watch it in darkness.

The BluRay is gorgeous with loads of detail and great contrast. The movie has never looked better! Trivia: this is the third format I've bouth this movie in.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #8,781 of 24,654
I went to see Drive tonight, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Honestly, it felt a little like Taxi Driver to me at times, which is by no means a complaint. I had never really given Ryan Gosling any thought, but I felt he did a spectacular job in that movie.
Honestly, I'd give it a solid 8/10. There was only 1 scene that kept it from a 9 for me. Overall great film imo.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #8,782 of 24,654
I saw Thor finally, and enjoyed it quite a bit 8.5/10. They covered Asgard, Valhalla and Bifrost in the first few minutes but Lyr was nowhere to be found. It was almost 2 hours long but seemed too short.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #8,783 of 24,654
Pi - 5/10

Everything was horrible, other then the screenplay and some thought provoking ideas and content. Too bad everything they thought of was wrong in the movie.

Only part about it that I liked was the unreliable narrator. Your view changes as his does. I've always liked this.

Fast 5 - 6/10

Ok, I've always been a fan of the FaF series. Especially the 3rd. But otherwise, it was alright.

I liked the scene where Diesel talks about his father "he would stay up an hour later to learn the next chapter to teach her to-marrow."

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8,784 of 24,654
Rashomon: 8/10

Suffers from slow pacing. From a modern perspective, that's really its only flaw. Cinematography was quite good.

As an aside...

Ok, I've always been a fan of the FaF series. Especially the 3rd. But otherwise, it was alright.

*Gag* The third? Tokyo Drift?

I'd rather watch the first season of Initial D, even it means dealing with the character of Itsuki... (ugh)

Just to clarify, I understand that it isn't to my tastes, but I would like to know what you like about it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #8,786 of 24,654

Quote:
*Gag* The third? Tokyo Drift?

I'd rather watch the first season of Initial D, even it means dealing with the character of Itsuki... (ugh)

Just to clarify, I understand that it isn't to my tastes, but I would like to know what you like about it.

Certain aspects of it I enjoyed. Not the whole movie, but small snips I really liked.

I really liked the character Sung Kang played, Han. I just liked the character period. That's about it.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #8,789 of 24,654
The Manchurian Candidate, 10/10

The original one - I can't bring myself to watch the new version.

I was thrilled to find it on Blu Ray at a local shop tonight for $15. I won't go into the movie because it is a classic everyone should see. The BD looks great, too!

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #8,790 of 24,654
I just saw "A Bittersweet Life"

It's familiar territory especially for those that watched "I Saw the Devil." Lee Byung Hun is doing what he does best, taking revenge in merciless fashion. The story isn't as moving or as riveting as "I Saw the Devil," but it's because you don't have someone like Choi Min-sik playing a psycho killer. It basically felt like "I Saw the Devil" but without Choi Min-sik. So no killer with a fascinating personility nor much gore. It's all Lee Byung Hun here serving deserved bootie kicking. The first half of the movie makes you cling to the edge of the seat but the end was a bit too simple.

7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back