Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #8,686 of 24,653
Take Me Home Tonight 4/10
Other than that one hot chick this movie isn't even worth watching. I auto-piloted thru most of it.... On a sad note that will be my last Blu-Ray thru netflix

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #8,687 of 24,653

Quote:
Thor - 8/10

I enjoyed it. I didn't expect the whole backstory but it worked and kept me entertained the whole while. The guy looks like a total Brad Pitt clone, I wonder why they didn't just hire the real thing...probably too expensive.

You mean probably too small!  If you want a Calvin Klein underwear model for a superhero there's always the new Conan.

As for the Cove, great doc but if you are like me and can't watch animal suffering then I'd say just read about it.  The scenes still haunt me to this day.  If I ever meet one of those 'fishermen' from that town he's going to get messed up real bad.  Though there is the benefit of knowing he and his whole family will probably die from toxic metal poisoning so there is Karma.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #8,688 of 24,653
"Hanna" an 8/10. Things went a little awry when Blanchett hires Tom Hollander and his crew. I thought Hollander was horribly miscast in his role. Saoirse Ronan was fantastic in the title-role. I see all of the these thrillers due to my family (in-laws) history.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #8,690 of 24,653
Really liked the "The Cove". The man in the movie actually was in another short-series on Animal Planet called "Blood Dolphins". I missed a few episodes of it. I'm also a huge fan of "Whale Wars" on TV. I'm hoping next year they will not have a Season 5 if you know what I mean. The best way to watch the series is to get the boxed set or download the seasons on Itunes etc. BTW if you don't know about it, it's a reality show about a group of volunteers that try to stop illegal whaling.

Another movie I love is called "Kekexili: Mountain Patrol". It's about illegal poaching in Tibet and not a documentary. Here's a trailer:

I also can't take watching animal suffering. I made the mistake years ago watching an undercover video of the fur trade in China. One of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen. I'm not against eating animals for food, but hate factory farming and how animals are treated in the food industry. Makes me not want to go to KFC or eat fast food.

Love documentaries about the food we eat and the food industry. Liked "Food Inc" as well as "King Korn" and "The Truth about Farmer John". I also need to watch the new movie "Forks over Knives" which just came out. Seems hard to find locally.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #8,691 of 24,653

Quote:
You mean probably too small!  If you want a Calvin Klein underwear model for a superhero there's always the new Conan.

How about too old, isn't Pitt like pushing 50 now?

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8,692 of 24,653
Its great to see others who feel similarly about The Cove.

In regard to the death scenes, imo they were disturbing but not excessive. They used what was needed to drive home the gruesome reality of the situation, and not much more. As a viewer I was definitely troubled by those scenes, and in the end it was something that I probably needed to see. It was less about the producers cashing in on the violence or manipulating the viewer, rather than showing the truth in as non-abstract a manner as possible.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8,693 of 24,653
I watch the same old movies over and over and over...there is only one I watched recently that I haven't seen in awhile.

The Neverending Story - 6.5/10

I always liked this one when I was a kid and I'm not sure why. Story is pretty generic and not all that interesting. I mean seriously...evil thing is coming and the princess is sick and a warrior needs to find a cure. Sounds like a video game to me. Well, I guess it is based on a children's book.
I did like the characters and the music. Some parts of this were kind of funny at least.

While working I also watched "Die Hard 2" again...along with "Rain man"...again.

I started watching the Marx Brothers movie "At the Circus". I think it'll be the first one from them I don't like!

Tomorrow i'll watch the new "Dr. Strangelove" blu-ray I got at Best Buy for $14.99. Haven't seen that since I was 16 I think.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #8,694 of 24,653
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (2004)- 8/10 Interesting comedy/romantic/psychological thriller starring Jim Carey.  It had a very true to life feel to it (all relationships have problems to work through)  Enjoyed it via Netflix Instant Streaming since I canceled the Blu Ray subscription portion
mad.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #8,695 of 24,653
Quote:

As for the Cove, great doc but if you are like me and can't watch animal suffering then I'd say just read about it.  The scenes still haunt me to this day.  If I ever meet one of those 'fishermen' from that town he's going to get messed up real bad.  Though there is the benefit of knowing he and his whole family will probably die from toxic metal poisoning so there is Karma.

lol, I was just making observation, wasn't suggesting anything. Not that there is anything wrong with underwear models being superheroes (especially if they are female of course). 
wink.gif

Just caught The Cove on Netflix as well. It was very well made documentary, reminded me of the Michael Moore types but more touching. It was really, really sad.  Not just because of the slaughtering of the dolphins, but the tragedy of his human realization. That everything he worked and built up for was wrong and how he's making his life goal to reverse it. What they're doing there is practically genocide and those fishermen are nothing but nazis. Rated - 8/10.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #8,696 of 24,653

Quote:
Quote:

lol, I was just making observation, wasn't suggesting anything. Not that there is anything wrong with underwear models being superheroes (especially if they are female of course). 
wink.gif

Just caught The Cove on Netflix as well. It was very well made documentary, reminded me of the Michael Moore types but more touching. It was really, really sad.  Not just because of the slaughtering of the dolphins, but the tragedy of his human realization. That everything he worked and built up for was wrong and how he's making his life goal to reverse it. What they're doing there is practically genocide and those fishermen are nothing but nazis. Rated - 8/10.

Found it kind of funny about how in Taji (where Cover was filmed) you can watch Dolphins perform at an aquarium, but also order dolphin meat to eat while you do so. I don't know if this is really true or not. I'm not against killing animals for food, but geeez, couldn't they have at least come up with a more humane way to kill those dolphins? If you think that's bad, the way they kill whales is even worse from what I've heard. I think it was that some whales take over 15 minutes to die...

I think if I had to pick any meat not to eat, it'd be Chicken. Mainly due to their living conditions. Crammed into a tiny cage with no sun and so fat that they can't even stand up. Years ago I always used to laugh at all these "stupid" vegetarians, but then I finally became one out of nowhere. Last thing I'd ever think would happen. It's weird because my whole family has always hunted and my brother has been a butcher for nearly 20 years. Being a vegetarian is so easy, but being a vegan..not sure If I could manage.

I guess my point is, is that I'd be ok eating meat if animals were treated better and killed in a more humane way.

BTW have you see that video where millions of male baby chicks are put into a grinder? I guess this is a normal practice and best way to dispose of them fast. I never would have known...

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #8,697 of 24,653
The Yakuza, a 1970's Bob Mitchum film noir - excellent. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #8,699 of 24,653

Quote:
^ Yeah excellent, although it was irritating to see Ken Takakura again playing such a similar role in Black Rain.

"You made the rain brack.  I'm paying you back."

Love that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back